Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Stave

Potato del Grande
It would be interesting to analyze these M:I movies after seeing them back to back, but rereading some notes I took about Ghost Protocol, I feel something changed at that point. They used the back and forth with Simon Pegg's character to underline how ridiculous their plans were and then had the plans fail in multiple ways, forcing Hunt to struggle and recover again and again. That was playful, clever, funny and brought the spectator along for the ride, raising the bar for the suspension of disbelieving, allowing for thrills where normally you would get eye-rolls. This same idea is still somewhat at play here (note how often Hunt fails and fumbles before succeeding), but the comedy level is seriously dialed down, so the whole system is not as effective and enjoyable. When you add to that a plot that is so muddy just about every twist and turn leaves you cold (or scratching your head) and overlong action scenes that are nothing special, it's difficult to find that movie all that great. Still enjoyable though.

PS: I guess they get points for originality, but when your antagonists are a british spy turned anarchist and a norwegian scientist radically atheist, you have to wonder what type of connection this story is supposed to have with the real world....

I agree. I really missed the Pegg/Cruise crazy shit and funny moments. Along with them coming up with an elaborate "impossible" plan, and then executing it, and watching them improvise as half of it goes to shit, usually with a lot of comedy tension and relief. This movie had none of that really. It was just good guy chasing bad guy around the world, trying to be one step ahead, but usually being one step behind, and crazy action scenes. It still did this great, better than most action movies now days, but it really was missing that "Impossible Mission" magic that the previous ones had. Sad part is, this one is getting huge ratings, so they will probably mimic this movie more in the next few sequels.

Szlia

It was just good guy chasing bad guy around the world, trying to be one step ahead, but usually being one step behind [...].
Funny exercise in onomastics by the way: Hunt is the guy running after people the whole movie while Walker just walks!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
8/10. My biggest impression coming out of that movie is that the cinematographers should win an Oscar for this one. The story, acting, etc were all good, but they've had better in the series. The action sequences and views were differentiators though.

Maybe this was so obvious it hasn't even been mentioned, but the blond chick is Max's daughter from MI:1? Just in case its been so long anybody may have missed that. I don't think there'd been a reference to Max since the first movie, so was interesting to see them bring her now family business back over 20 years after the original.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Nothing new to say that hasn't been said already. If you like action, this was a helluva fun ride. Tom may be a crazy motherfucker IRL, but he was born to play in these movies. Agree with the previous posters point about the cinematography; really well done for an action film.

• 2Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought this one was well-executed good fun. Not breaking ground in plot or content, but the action scenes were exceptionally well done.

Probably the best part was that it made Deadpool 2 retroactively even funnier
Fucking Vanisher - electrocuted while jumping out of a plane into high winds two movies in a row ;p

There's no way that was a coincidence.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Even though RL kept getting in the way , I finally was able to see this yesterday. Excellent movie!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought this one was well-executed good fun. Not breaking ground in plot or content, but the action scenes were exceptionally well done.

Probably the best part was that it made Deadpool 2 retroactively even funnier
Fucking Vanisher - electrocuted while jumping out of a plane into high winds two movies in a row ;p

There's no way that was a coincidence.

I am not sure what you are saying. You do realize that Brad Pit does not equal Henry Cavill ....right?

• 2Worf

Malkav

French Madman
Webrips without hardcoded Korean subs are out.

Really enjoyed it. I really wonder how they filmed the chase scene all over Paris without blocking half the city.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched it this weekend, really enjoyed it as well. The fucking skydiving scene at the beginning was absolutely phenomenally done. You literally felt like you followed Cruise the entire way down to the landing, which, spoiler alert, has complications! The anxiety while watching that was through the roof. I had to watch it again just to pay attention to how awesome it was. That might be my favorite "action" scene that I can think of. Not quite as amazing as Sicario in the traffic jam, but still just fucking awesome.

• 2Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Best of all, Cavill just plays it off completely because he didn't know what happened. "Jeez get your shit together, do I have to do everything for you?"

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Enjoyed it. MI movies have many great qualities, the biggest being that they have their formula and pull it off with perfect execution and little to no fat added. We don't need extensive background info or descriptions of what/how/why the characters are doing what they're doing, as it's just unnecessary.

Cruise & Cavill were great as always as well.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I saw this last night, was a great ride.

It's like a 2 hours long action scene with just enough plot and exposition for it to make sense.

No need to go into details as to the motivation of the bad guys, you know they are bad guys and want to blow things up for reasons. Who cares about what traumatic childhood experience led them to be like that.

Pretty much all characters have no depth at all, and that's just fine. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good...that's enough for me. :)

Pure entertainment. Rebecca Ferguson is fine too and pretty badass, I'd watch a Ilsa Faust solo movie. :)

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Sorry to be late to the party...but wth?

Explain why with trillions of dollars super secret society high tech make faces and trace anyone they still use black and white photos and actual vanilla folders?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sorry to be late to the party...but wth?

Explain why with trillions of dollars super secret society high tech make faces and trace anyone they still use black and white photos and actual vanilla folders?
Budget cuts.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was the director responding to the criticisms of people like me from the last one, who said "This movie's great! Too bad about the preposterous CGI bullshit!"

Seriously, there is shockingly little outright CGI in this one, at least until the preposterous dangling helicopter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user