MLB 2021 "Hot Stove": Third Time's a Charm for Dodgers

Who wins the 2021 World Series?

• Total voters

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Whelp I was already looking to replace him on my fantasy team, now it looks like I am going to be expediting the matter.
Yeah, we will find out how good he truly is.

I like him, but we'll see if he truly is a "superstar".

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Can someone help me understand how you send your best player and $50 million for the pleasure of doing it? Then basically getting nothing back? How is this good for the Rockies in any way?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Can someone help me understand how you send your best player and $50 million for the pleasure of doing it? Then basically getting nothing back? How is this good for the Rockies in any way?
They plan to rebuild is the only answer. Nothing else makes sense.

Sterling

El Presidente
They plan to rebuild is the only answer. Nothing else makes sense.
They'd have had to get a better haul of prospects for this to really make sense. Maybe it's step one in reducing payroll then selling the team or something. It's a weird as fuck trade.

• 2Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Most if not all small market teams are going to be adopting the Rays model for their roster for the next few seasons. The combination of TV money going down and a full year of 0 crowds at the ballgames are the main factors driving the matter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Most if not all small market teams are going to be adopting the Rays model for their roster for the next few seasons. The combination of TV money going down and a full year of 0 crowds at the ballgames are the main factors driving the matter.
Got to purge payroll and hope for drafting and minor league prospects.

Sterling

El Presidente
Got to purge payroll and hope for drafting and minor league prospects.
Even big market teams do this to some extent now. They reset luxury tax when they can and try and homegrow a core and not have the 6 free agents and 3 rentals thing every season. Obviously it's still a huge advantage to be able to resign your guys and fill holes threw free agency and rental pick ups.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Even big market teams do this to some extent now. They reset luxury tax when they can and try and homegrow a core and not have the 6 free agents and 3 rentals thing every season. Obviously it's still a huge advantage to be able to resign your guys and fill holes threw free agency and rental pick ups.
Yes but teams doing that are not in win now mode.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yes but teams doing that are not in win now mode.
Yeah, it's usually a reset season before going wild. Yankees reset, then got Cole, Dodgers reset and we know what they did. That's just the tax thing though, the actually building a home grown core takes awhile.

• 1Like

Muurloen

And

Pedroia retires after 14 seasons with Red Sox

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pedroia retires after 14 seasons with Red Sox
Pedroia was the main reason I won my fantasy baseball league in his MVP season. 2008... holy shit that was a long time ago. I always liked the guy.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
They'd have had to get a better haul of prospects for this to really make sense. Maybe it's step one in reducing payroll then selling the team or something. It's a weird as fuck trade.
Supposedly the Card kept all of their best prospects. The Rockies got fleeced here.

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
This just in, the Rockies organization is hot garbage. Source: Ive watched them their whole existence. Im starting to think that maybe Denver doesnt really need a minor league team.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Supposedly the Card kept all of their best prospects. The Rockies got fleeced here.

That Rockies trade is just straight puzzling. Just a really bad assortment of prospects. To make it worse, I don't think this is even a group of prospects that are just "under age/really young but they have tons of upside". That Pirates package they got for Taillon at least had really young, big ceiling guys. Even if their current prospect ranking wasn't "stellar".

I know the Rangers love Trevor Story, I would not be surprised at all to see them go try to grab him next offseason. Especially if the Rockies are getting Goodwill prices for their stars...

Kolten Wong to the Brewers for 2 yrs, btw.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My parents want to know if there is going to be a "real season" w/ spring training.

Probably not. They're already talking about delaying the start of the season.

Reds are a fucking lame duck franchise. What they did with their SS situation was just fucking pathetic. Ownership is not committed to winning. Sure they spent a lot of money last season, but the spending didn't make much sense. Yet another season where I'm looking forward to the A's more. Who will also disappoint.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Rustled

Muurloen

Never understood that Didi for Bauer trade.

Reds should have done what other teams have done, move the talented player to a different position. If you can play SS you can any position.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Just read an interesting article.

ok baseball nerds.

what position in the majors has only had a couple of lefties in the past century? and why?

catcher- however someone did the research for batters being thrown out at 2nd, etc, and the numbers for batters -left or right- were exactly the same percentages, so technically, there is no reason WHY a lefty can be a catcher...just that noone is-even in the minors, only in hs or lower are their a few lefty catchers.
most lefties with strong arms..get converted to pitcher.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Just read an interesting article.

ok baseball nerds.

what position in the majors has only had a couple of lefties in the past century? and why?

catcher- however someone did the research for batters being thrown out at 2nd, etc, and the numbers for batters -left or right- were exactly the same percentages, so technically, there is no reason WHY a lefty can be a catcher...just that noone is-even in the minors, only in hs or lower are their a few lefty catchers.
most lefties with strong arms..get converted to pitcher.
It's because throwing to 3rd is harder even if throwing to 2nd is roughly the same. You also don't really have left handed throwing infielders besides at 1st because of the awkwardness of throwing to 1st. Also tag plays at home would be more awkward.

• 2Like