MLB Hot Stove '13-'14

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I hope they enjoy paying him to pitch in Florida for 5 years when they finally realize they can't afford all this shit.

Win-win for both team and player. Kershaw gets a potential second payday at age 30, Dodgers get him in his peak and aren't on the hook for very many years past his prime.

Also, the Dodgers can definitely afford it. 2nd largest media market in the US, and they just signed a $7Billion dollar TV contract...

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I just woke up.

He must've REALLY wanted to play for the Yankees. I'm almost certain there were larger offers, money-wise, on the table.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Anyway, I just really don't see Tanaka being an ace. I think he's a #2-#3. He's no Matsuzaka, but he's no Darvish either.

He's certainly not enough to cover for all of the holes that the Yankees have. They could sneak into the wild card but it's not super likely.

The rest of the free agent pitching chips should fall soon, and of course the Mariners will be signing Nelson Cruz to a 3 year $27 million contract later today.

Sterling

El Presidente
Obviously he isn't going to single handedly turn the Yankees around but he certainly will help their rotation which is a shambles right now. They are still a huge mess in a lot of ways but we can see how it works out the rest of this offseason.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Yankees off season has just been bizarre. They let go one of the most durable players in recent memory, and a hell of a good player in Cano, and add a bunch of injury prone free agents. The Yankee infield is going to be dreadful defensively. The organization panicked, and strayed from their plan to get under the cap, and rebuild the farm when the fans stop showing up, and TV ratings nose dived.

Add to it now Tanka who is now sitting on the 5th richest contract for a pitcher in history, and has not thrown one pitch here. At least he's young, but that's a pretty huge leap of faith. I certainly don't think he's on Darvish's level.

Yankees are just trying to sell tickets again with these moves. Short term think it will work out for them, as it is reinvigorating the New York fan base, but long term I think it ends very badly. Way to many long contracts given out, and no signs of life in their farm.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
He's closer to Kuroda than Darvish, which isn't bad - he just can't match Darvish on physicality. He's got all the pitches - though he probably should kill off a couple like Darvish ended up doing during his 1st year/offseason.

Darvish is just a huge, powerful man beast - especially for his heritage. Darvish contract is a straight up bargain now, he got $99 million dollars less - his success is why Tanaka got this contract.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Darvish is just a huge, powerful man beast - especially for his heritage. Darvish contract is a straight up bargain now, he got $99 million dollars less - his success is why Tanaka got this contract.
Well that, and they changed up the rules for posting fees to give more power to the player.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Obviously he isn't going to single handedly turn the Yankees around but he certainly will help their rotation which is a shambles right now. They are still a huge mess in a lot of ways but we can see how it works out the rest of this offseason.
Their original plan of spreading money around and trying to get under the luxury tax was a solid one. I don't think they'll do much for the rest of the offseason, since the holes they have don't have a lot of good free agent matches, and they don't have a lot of trade chips.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Well that, and they changed up the rules for posting fees to give more power to the player.
True, the blind bid was a big part of it - but a lot of teams you'd know for sure would normally be in on it like the Yankees didn't seem to put in serious bids because of Dice-K fear. The Rangers trusted their Pacific scouting staff and were confident on bidding high to make sure they got him.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
The Yankees spent like a teenage girl with her dad's credit card and didn't address the infield or bullpen. They pretty much sacrificed 2013, losing Russell Martin in the process, and then abandoned their goal to stay under the luxury tax threshold. You either have a long-term plan or you don't.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that's a stupid way to evaluate baseball players. "A couple guys didn't work out the way we expected, so let's not bother trying to predict anything!"

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No more stupid then "He did great in a league that doesn't really compare to the league he's going into so he will be good there too."

Also I offered no evaluation, I just said he'll potentially do well but that's as far as I'd go with it.