MLB Hot Stove '13-'14

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Yeah.. I am pretty pissed that Biggio didn't make it again. Even more pissed that Bagwell lost votes. Fuck the BBWA.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah.. I am pretty pissed that Biggio didn't make it again. Even more pissed that Bagwell lost votes. Fuck the BBWA.
Yeah, it's a fucking farce. Just the whole process when you hear from all these different clowns who have votes who just write off an entire generation of players. The same guys who, according to what they are saying now, won't vote for Jeter and Mariano.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, it's a fucking farce. Just the whole process when you hear from all these different clowns who have votes who just write off an entire generation of players. The same guys who, according to what they are saying now, won't vote for Jeter and Mariano.
Wat? Do you have a source? Cause those 2 are definitely first ballot HoFers as well.

Was a pleasure getting to watch Thomas so often in the prime of his career. I'm very happy that he got in first ballot, he really does deserve it. Oh and the two pitchers were okay too I guess.

Profundis

Wat? Do you have a source? Cause those 2 are definitely first ballot HoFers as well.
There may have been a little hyperbole in there, but there are more than a few writers who have said they will not vote for anyone from the steroid era. Which, to be fair, no one really knows for sure when it began, but is generally agreed upon to be within the last 25-30 years.

Now, I'll call a spade a spade and say yes, there is some homer bleeding out due to Bagwell and Biggio not getting in. This is not to diminish or slight the three who got in today. They totally deserve it. However, it's ridiculous to just exclude anyone from that time period because other people were using PED's.

I dunno, the whole process is just asinine. There can only be 10 guys max who go in, so every vote is sacred and above reproach. If a guy is a Hall of Famer in his second, sixth, tenth or fifteenth year of eligibility, he should have been in on the first ballot. Their numbers don't change. Some ESPN stat nerd who comes up with some arbitrary figure to determine a player's worth based on how he performed with runners in scoring position in the sixth inning of the second game in a three game series played on the road in the eastern time zone can fuck off.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Anyone of those 16 who didn't vote for Maddux should be lit on fire, forced to eat broken bottles, then piss out the shards. While still on fire.

One mother fucker put Mike Mussina on his list and left Maddux off. Mike Mussina? Are you fucking shitting me? JT Snow??? Hideo Nomo?

I wish I was thrilled Cox, Maddux, and Glavine are all going in on the same day, but fuck.

edit: Someone needs to do a commercial with Glavine and Maddux watching Frank Thomas being inducted and explain "Chicks dig the long ball."

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
On the topic of hall of fame...

I usually ignore the espn talking heads but I found this hilarious,Dan Le Batard gives Baseball Hall of Fame vote to Deadspin - ESPN.

The players the voters on deadspin were all players that should be in imo. The whole thing is such a fucking joke, the best of the time are the best of the time no matter what goes on in that time. These people with red asses about steroids can fuck themselves.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
The HoF process is pretty broken in baseball I agree. I just hope as the people who have a vote get younger and younger we get over some of this bullshit.

Profundis

So this is from some column I just read:

The other big loser on the day was Tim Raines, whose vote total decreased from 52 percent to 46 percent. He had been showing steady progress in recent years, but falling under 50 percent is a big blow.He lost votes because of the crowded ballot, but that issue isn't going away anytime soon unless the 10-man rule is changed. Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz will be on the ballot next year, Biggio is still around, Ken Griffey Jr. is eligible in 2016, and the PED guys aren't getting elected.

Maybe I'm just not getting this. How is it that having lots of guys on the ballot who have no shot in hell of getting in (Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Paul Lo Duca, Armando Benitez, Richie Sexson, etc.) diminish the fact that Tim Raines is one of the greatest lead off hitters of all time not named Rickey Henderson?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
People forget Biggio was an all star multiple times as a catcher, 2nd baseman and a center fielder. Not exactly low skill posistions.

Profundis

So my statement of greatest leadoff hitter of all time not named Rickey Henderson was a bit overzealous, but the point still stands. He belongs in, regardless of JT Snow or Eric Gagne being on the ballot.

Sterling

El Presidente
16 people excluded Maddux and Glavine on 46. I hate how voters for this kind of shit game the system. HoF also needs more Tim Raines.

Jaybee

Maybe I'm just not getting this. How is it that having lots of guys on the ballot who have no shot in hell of getting in (Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Paul Lo Duca, Armando Benitez, Richie Sexson, etc.) diminish the fact that Tim Raines is one of the greatest lead off hitters of all time not named Rickey Henderson?
You answered your own question. They have retards on the BBWA that waste votes onJacque Fucking Jones.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
If Mariano isn't a unanimous 1st ballot HOF, then I don't see how any player is.

Sterling

El Presidente
If Mariano isn't a unanimous 1st ballot HOF, then I don't see how any player is.
Some dipshit will say that relief pitchers don't belong and not vote for him. Also Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Aaron, Mays, and so forth were all not unanimous either so there is that.

Profundis

It's not even the unanimous aspect that's the worst part (it's dumb, but whatever). It's assholes like this:

KEN GURNICK, Dodgers beat reporter
Morris

Morris has flaws -- a 3.90 ERA, for example. But he gets my vote for more than a decade of ace performance that included three 20-win seasons, Cy Young Award votes in seven seasons and Most Valuable Player Award votes in five. As for those who played during the period of PED use, I won't vote for any of them.