MMA Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is the 1st event with California's weight cut rules, right?

Oh I didn't think about that, and they had to let DC hold a towel to make weight for 210. Should be fun to see if he can actually make it to the octagon without having already cheated this time.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is the 1st event with California's weight cut rules, right?

That explains his appearance. Might have to give it to Jones. His body is infinitely more suited to the California rules. If you could design the ideal Light Heavy, its Jon Jones. There was a special on that MMA show where those martial artists break ice blocks, History channel/Spike IDK, that went over why Jon is so successful and they examined his dimensions. One of his circumference/ROM statistics was at 280% more spatial distance potential than an average LHW. The show mostly attributed his success to his terrifying gap-closer potential.

Dude was the Anderson Silva of 205 before Jackson Cucklejohn convinced him to adopt their decision-based grinder system (it was ultimately necessary if he wanted to keep beating top 5's). Jackson personally said they were not going to influence what makes Jon great and would not want him to lose his ability to improvise. Then he goes and does it, albeit it was after Jones hit some turbulence.

Possibly a once in a lifetime fighter. Remembering all that Jones-Silva talk definitely brings back some nostalgic memories of the Jones era. That was a kick-ass time in MMA.

Last edited:

Goatface

Lesnar vs Jones . . . . . . . . . . .

-

"I would love to fight Brock Lesnar," [Jon] Jones said. "He's a massive dude. I mean, it would be a massive draw. Really big for the sport. It'd be a great challenge. That's a big ol' boy. I doubt Brock Lesnar would take that fight, though."

Lesnar would apparently be on board for a potential fight, even though UFC would have to figure out how to solve the weight difference of at least 50 pounds.

-

"Would I fight Jon Jones? Anytime, anywhere," Lesnar said, per Greg Beacham of the Associated Press. "Right now he should be worried about D.C. on Saturday night."

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lesnar vs Jones . . . . . . . . . . .

-

"I would love to fight Brock Lesnar," [Jon] Jones said. "He's a massive dude. I mean, it would be a massive draw. Really big for the sport. It'd be a great challenge. That's a big ol' boy. I doubt Brock Lesnar would take that fight, though."

Lesnar would apparently be on board for a potential fight, even though UFC would have to figure out how to solve the weight difference of at least 50 pounds.

-

"Would I fight Jon Jones? Anytime, anywhere," Lesnar said, per Greg Beacham of the Associated Press. "Right now he should be worried about D.C. on Saturday night."
lol 2 drug cheats talk so humble after being USADA'd

remember Lesnar UFC200 b4 he was busted?
"It's unfortunate for DC, I guess," Lesnar said. "I feel a little bad for DC. Guys go hard, they go through training camps and put lots of time in and that's where DC really gets the short end of the stick. It's really unprofessional of anybody of this caliber when something like that happens."

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He's fucking huge. Roided out Dana looks like he wouldn't be able to do shit about shit.

Can't remember Jones ever looking so serious in a face off.

Especially considering Jones was the UFC's singular "I don't look at the opponent" guy for many of his fights. He would stare down never making contact even once. If he gave a reason for it, I don't remember it.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just going through the motions now. Both guys too exhausted to feel anything else but joy and anticipation.

The bit re: Jones ignoring several of Dana's phone calls and only dealing exclusively with UFC owner Ari was juicy, in light of Ariel Helwani getting removed from the Showtime Mayweather-McGregor press conference TV production. Jones is sort of taking his life into his own hands there.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Disagree. Nunes vs Rousey, McGregor vs anyone the last 2 or 3 years and Cruz vs Garbrandt were all tremendous. There definitely a lot more, but those are the 1st that come to mind.

----------------------------

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

edit, when i 1st saw the tweet it was at 6pm, now shows 8pm
so was around 24 hour to go

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>