MMA Thread

Fordrynn

N00b
Woodley takes into account his opponents strengths and then absolutely does not allow himself to fall into their game plan. He has great patience. Hes a champ - very strong and dynamic, but I am hesitant to call him great. I certainly dont think he is the greatest WW of all time.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On one hand watching him absolutely shut down any and all takedown attempts by Maia was rather impressive, but he won't get himself into that elite tier of champs unless he starts finishing more fights, having more of those big "moments". The real main event and Jones finishing DC just a case in point.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So GSP wasn't part of the elite tier of champs then?

Guess I'll qualify it with if he manages to get up to the same number of consecutive title defenses or wins in title matches that GSP had, he can fight all the boring fights he wants and still be considered elite tier.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Woodley takes into account his opponents strengths and then absolutely does not allow himself to fall into their game plan. He has great patience. Hes a champ - very strong and dynamic, but I am hesitant to call him great. I certainly dont think he is the greatest WW of all time.

He fought a guy with next to no stand up and did nothing. His job is to fight, not just to keep the other guy from being able to fight. Fuck Woodley

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Just saying I would have no trouble believing a fight involving Maia would break that kind of record.

Someone mentioned it during the broadcast after the fight. So it's likely true, but also explains why there are no stats in the article as the actual stat wasn't mentioned in the broadcast

Fordrynn

N00b
Im not defending Woodley - he is not a fun fighter to watch because he does not initiate. However, he is the Champ - there is something to say for that.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
DC apologized Big John, somehow he thought that brutal beatdown was early stoppage. Fuck if anything that was 2 shots too late, Jones was one hammerfist away from murder.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had it as 4 late shots-- probably more like 5.

Laying with your head against the cage flat on the floor with 1 hand covering your cheek is not intelligent defense I'm afraid. I don't care if he was wiggling his little fingers, first shot to the temple/rear quarter without improving position, you fucking call it. The fact he went out from shots to the rear of the head was disgusting, and let's remember it only happened towards the END of the stoppage. The rest of the shots were clean.

Big John really put D.C. at risk there and let him have it. 5 shots while he was keeping his other cheek kissing the mat without moving? DC is a fucking moron, not surprised Dana screamed in his face and basically assaulted the dude.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seemed like the traditional 'let the champ suffer permanent brain damage instead of stopping the fight when you would during a non-title bout' to me.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Big John stated he let it go on for 2 punches too many, but after just watching the finish again I think I agree with jayrebb jayrebb . It was definitely 4-5 too many.

This overhead shot of DC after the fight shows just how much of a mess he really was. He doesn't have his senses about him at all for at least 2 minutes

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Agree with Jay and Ameraves, and in that light all the talk of, "fuck him for crying he such a bitch etc blah blah" the dude just had his brain beaten to a pulp and you're gonna shit on him? go fuck yourself.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agree with Jay and Ameraves, and in that light all the talk of, "fuck him for crying he such a bitch etc blah blah" the dude just had his brain beaten to a pulp and you're gonna shit on him? go fuck yourself.

It's pretty easy to forget details like that in the excitement of seeing a KO in a hyped title fight.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

I do feel bad for saying this...

And DC's true colors shine through.

I said this regarding DC storming out of the ring, I realized I was wrong a few minutes after posting it, but I was out with friends and did not want to be on my phone posting etc. So yeah, I was wrong, DC had no idea what happened and him crying just showed me how much he cared. I was not making fun of him for that. I have never been a DC fan but his game in the first two rounds won me over a bit, he has become a much more complete fighter than I was giving him credit for.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nothing but respect and understanding for DC after the KO. The tears remind me of Luke Kuechly last year when he was severely concussed. These are the top .001% of tough guys on the planet and laughing at the situation is just ignorance.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Oblique kicks should be banned.

Why? Knee injuries are a lot less serious in the long term than concussions. If his knee was damaged in a kneebar or heel hook no one would complain. It's fighting - the entire point is to hurt the other guy until he can't continue.