MMA Thread

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
DW says Diaz 3 is fake internet bullshit.

So Conor vs Diaz 3 confirmed? :p

In all seriousness though hope they make Conor vs Ferg next. Dude needs to defend a damn belt already. I read a lot what you was talking about as well, and also read some bs like Conor wants to fight Khabib in Russia. Like you said flip flop galore. Also doesn't Conor and Tony have the same manager? Or same management firm or something? Not sure if that has anything to with anything just made me think of it when you mentioned Conor's management.

edit: Also since you mentioned Diaz's pay, I'm curious what they are going to pay Conor now after his fight with Floyd where he made 100 mill after ppv or whatever crazy amount he made (hell of a lot more than his last fight in the UFC against Eddie that's for sure). They can't expect him to be content with making 2-3 mill after the Floyd fight. I mean I guess he doesn't have much of a choice since he's under contract with them, but he could just fight out his contract then bounce out. You'd think they want to keep their cash cow happy though so he signs a new contract eventually.

Last edited:

Goatface

don't know who to believe but there are reports that Conor makes from $4-11m from his PPV share.

early in May/Mac hype, when Conor was reportedly going to make $25-30m, Rogan said something like he could easily make that is same time frame in 2-3 fights.

think UFC really needs Conor to bring some hype as they are certainly in a down year, but he doesn't want to do press

i would rather see Diaz 3 and Khabib/Tony
but not even sure is Diaz can fight, isn't he having some beef with USADA?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
edit: Also since you mentioned Diaz's pay, I'm curious what they are going to pay Conor now after his fight with Floyd where he made 100 mill after ppv or whatever crazy amount he made (hell of a lot more than his last fight in the UFC against Eddie that's for sure). They can't expect him to be content with making 2-3 mill after the Floyd fight. I mean I guess he doesn't have much of a choice since he's under contract with them, but he could just fight out his contract then bounce out. You'd think they want to keep their cash cow happy though so he signs a new contract eventually.

When Conor signed his new contract under Lorenzo last year Lorenzo said Conor would be the first UFC fighter in history to make 10 million a fight.

My guess is what Goatface said is probably accurate, between 4 and 11 per fight depending on sales.

Goatface

edit...

follow up
""I'm disappointed that I have been withdrawn from the fight, I have passed all medicals 2 days ago. And spent 100,000 on camp. The truth is the legal case I have filed has caused me to be withdrawn. The interview has been taken out of context and want to reassure all my fans, I slur my words only when I have a drink I'm fit and healthy, and would have understood if the UFC requested a medical to ensure my safety, however this is total bullshit fuck you Dana, you've always hated me you dog""

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm on Hunt's side in principle, but on a practical level you can't sue your bosses and then act surprised when they play hardball.

Shano

Agree with Suave. Reading the article makes it sound like it's Mark's fault however

Hunt recently penned a piece for PlayersVoice.com.au entitled “If I die fighting, that’s fine,” in which he admitted trouble sleeping and said he’s begin to stutter and slur his words. That prompted UFC officials to pull the 43-year-old slugger from the card.

I'm sure his lawsuit with the UFC didn't help much either (probably main reason). With that being said I fucking love Hunt, dude isn't afraid to speak his mind and tell it like it is, even if it will bite him in the ass. Sucks he spent all that $$ on training camp etc just to be pulled from the fight because of an interview though.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Agree with Suave. Reading the article makes it sound like it's Mark's fault however

I'm sure his lawsuit with the UFC didn't help much either (probably main reason). With that being said I fucking love Hunt, dude isn't afraid to speak his mind and tell it like it is, even if it will bite him in the ass. Sucks he spent all that $$ on training camp etc just to be pulled from the fight because of an interview though.

Yeah I mean GSP has spoke on symptoms of damage before, as has Nick Diaz. They've both discussed memory loss and periods of forgetfulness. The difference being they didn't point a finger at the UFC specifically, but rather spoke on the rigors of the sport itself...

I agree that the UFC feels Mark Hunt is a finger-pointer because of his lawsuit. Its possible we won't see him fight again if the UFC isn't able to resolve ALL of its issues with Mark Hunt.

Its difficult for me to believe at this point they will be able to resolve the issue. Best case scenario for Hunt is to get cut fast and move to Bellator.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Shano

Yeah I forgot about GSP talking about being abducted by aliens and crazy stuff like that and well with Diaz he's always been a little on the odd side. Always had a feeling he was schizophrenic to some degree tbh just by the way he acts during interviews and press conferences etc.

I definitely agree Hunt should probably try to get out of the UFC asap and move to Bellator especially considering he's 43 years old now and getting towards the end of his career. Hopefully the UFC doesn't just be a dick to him and refuse to let him out of his contract and drag it out forever.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Always had a feeling he was schizophrenic to some degree tbh just by the way he acts during interviews and press conferences etc.

We're talking about the same guy who assaulted (got in Brian Stann's face in an aggressive manner while talking aggressively to him and calling him a bitch ass coward kid-killer) regarding his military service.

Anyone else but cool, calm, collected Stann-- it would have exploded into a brawl. The guy is a liability and/or ticking time bomb. Hate invoking shit like this, but he could be a future Benoit.

Bellator would be a lot more relaxed ride to ease into retirement, a place to stop swearing at his employer. Hunt has needed to cool his jets for awhile now.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Goatface

guessing not being in the US he didn't understand how big of a deal those statements about possible brain damage were going to be.

it could be too much of an issue for even Bellator to deal with.

what i understand still years away from being able to test for CTE
don't know about other brain related stuff, but guess he should have a decade of scans
to compare to

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lol, the NFL should be talking about cte, but it's easier to just be a bitch and take a knee.

Instead, the ufc is happy Mark hunt fucked up, in print, couldn't be happier and all of a suddenly ufc cares about players well being, when just this last fight Kevin Lee look almost dead, somehow shedding a lb of weight, from where!!!???

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
Kevin Lee look almost dead, somehow shedding a lb of weight, from where!!!???

His brain...
bra.jpg

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
UFC215 recouped costs and made a profit against its marketing budget, of that I'd be certain. Huge gate.

UFC216 lost a lot of money because the gate didn't even cover the payroll.

UFC217 has Hendricks off the PPV and on the prelims. Way to ruin a great card. I was like "This one looks good....GSP-Bisping...decent 3 matchups...wait wheres the 5th fight? OH its on the fucking prelims.

That is not how you get PPV buys.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Goatface

Guess with them negotiating tv rights they want to try to bump up ratings
this is the prelim ratings for 2017

UFC 208 – 874,000
UFC 209 – 1,033,000
UFC 210 – 723,000
UFC 211 – 1,148,000
UFC 212 – 732,000
UFC 213 – 657,000
UFC 214 – 886,000
UFC 215 – 418,000
UFC 216 – 653,000

wonder if 217 will break million buys, Bisping isn't really a big draw
GSP hasn't broke a million yet, but the card is pretty stacked
but really not heard much hype for it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Guess with them negotiating tv rights they want to try to bump up ratings
this is the prelim ratings for 2017

UFC 208 – 874,000
UFC 209 – 1,033,000
UFC 210 – 723,000
UFC 211 – 1,148,000
UFC 212 – 732,000
UFC 213 – 657,000
UFC 214 – 886,000
UFC 215 – 418,000
UFC 216 – 653,000

wonder if 217 will break million buys, Bisping isn't really a big draw
GSP hasn't broke a million yet, but the card is pretty stacked
but really not heard much hype for it.
i don't get it, was ufc215 bad b/c it was ORIGINALLY a mighty mouse card, just that borg pussied out, and they stacked 216?

but they are stacking 217 w/ cody/tj and even throwing in joanna in there.

at this point though joanna is a bore, she'll just 5round punch fuck a bitch, so who cares, karatie hottie woulda been my bet to be the first to take her down, but she fucked that up by delay after delay fucking up her body, and then getting submitted by rose.

217 is all about tj and cody, i guess plebs would care about gsp... why? i hope he taps to strikes again and goes away.

hopefully they can ink in holly v cyborg too.

Last edited:

Shano

Damn those numbers are horrible. I thought even the bad UFC ppv's usually hit around 200-300k? Haven't been keeping up to much lately apparently. Bet WME IMG is loving their investment right now. Fertitta's are straight up gangsters.

Btw thx jayrebb jayrebb bro for this sweet sweet new avatar.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everything hinges on the TV deal to recoup their investment. Weren't they looking for something like 4 billion or some insane amount?

Shano

I haven't been following it to much since the exclusive fox negotiating period ended but 4 billion for a TV deal is definitely pure insanity. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Showtime tried to get UFC tbh. They seemed to enjoy working with them for the Mac / Mayweather fight and it would lead to a lot more UFC champ and boxing cross overs I bet with both UFC and Showtime just pulling in all the $$$.

• 1Like