MMA Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
time to invest in dolly stocks before mcgregor starts throwing em again
he's done, ufc has no more ppv's it's an ESPN buy out at all numbered UFC's at 500k cap.

Thats why they're making SO MANY fights, they're trying to wean out the champion contracts and big dogs earning cash

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
One of us is confused, yes.

The victims get a "choice" in the pressing of charges when the DA doesn't really care one way or the other and/or when their testimony is the only evidence. In a celebrity case like this, the DA most likely does care. Conor has already been arrested for a felony. This is not some misdemeanor semi-consensual drunken battery case.

Not testifying during a trial is a different thing from altering the story relative to the initial police report given under oath. The initial police report can all the DA needs from the victim if there is other evidence, like the video of this incident.

Either way, a victim can be compelled to testify should the court wish it, and could be subject to perjury charges if they lie.

This is all basic information about the function of our legal system. Five minutes of research will corroborate what I'm saying here.

Jesus, Dude, just stop. Your 5 minutes of wikipedia-ing the justice system isn't working out for you. I specifically said the DA would be involved and have to approve of dropping the charges due to a settlement reached in the civil case. You saying that can't possibly happen and everyone involved would go to jail is laughable.

They have too large of a caseload to fight tooth and nail over someone breaking a cell phone. If the victim feels they've received just compensation then they're generally good with that and move on to more important matters

Needless

Toe Sucker
he's done, ufc has no more ppv's it's an ESPN buy out at all numbered UFC's at 500k cap.

Thats why they're making SO MANY fights, they're trying to wean out the champion contracts and big dogs earning cash

Oh i know, im just referring to his boy getting slapped again which is essentially what caused the dolly incident lol

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
You saying that can't possibly happen and everyone involved would go to jail

This all started because I pointed out that it's illegal to pay someone to alter or retract sworn statements given to law enforcement, which for some reason you disagreed with. I was quite clear that everything I said pertained to criminal charges only and not whatever civil suits may or may not exist.

Obviously as a practical matter the justice system works on a large amount of discretion, for the reasons you lay out, and often the legal system takes the victim's wishes into account. However, guys like Conor have to watch out precisely BECAUSE it's a question of selective enforcement and not a question of law. The legal boundaries are one thing, and "what happens most of the time" is another. Knowing the difference is important. If you piss of the wrong people you get the book thrown at you, and the book is as I described.

Last edited:

Goatface

Dana White doesn’t believe Conor McGregor is retired
“No,” White said, when asked if he believed that McGregor was truly retired. “I think that there’s some things that Conor wants and I think that Conor wants to get together face to face, he and I, and we probably will in the next couple of weeks and we’ll get this thing figured out.”

=

Khabib Nurmagomedov reveals UFC ‘working on Abu Dhabi in September’ for Russian’s next fight
“Yes, we are working on this,” Nurmagomedov confirmed. “UFC told me that they are working on this. I just came back from Dubai. And very soon news is coming. Very soon,” he added.

According to the UFC champ, the main stumbling block to finalize the deal is the suspensions of teammate and UFC featherweight Zubaira Tukgugov, and cousin Abubakar Nurmagomedov, who are both currently serving a one-year ban for their involvement in the infamous post-fight brawl with Conor McGregor and his team after the UFC 229 main event.

“[Tukgugov and Abubakar] either have to fight with me on the same event or before me, it is the main term of my comeback,” he said.
It’s a principal issue for me and I won’t step back
The 30-year-old also confirmed that he will face the winner of Max Holloway v Dustin Poirier, who are set to face each other in the UFC 236 main event in Atlanta, Georgia, for the interim lightweight title

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This all started because I pointed out that it's illegal to pay someone to alter or retract sworn statements given to law enforcement, which for some reason you disagreed with. I was quite clear that everything I said pertained to criminal charges only and not whatever civil suits may or may not exist.

Obviously as a practical matter the justice system works on a large amount of discretion, for the reasons you lay out, and often the legal system takes the victim's wishes into account. However, guys like Conor have to watch out precisely BECAUSE it's a question of selective enforcement and not a question of law. The legal boundaries are one thing, and "what happens most of the time" is another. Knowing the difference is important. If you piss of the wrong people you get the book thrown at you, and the book is as I described.

The statement was "drop charges." That means tell the DA you no longer wish to pursue the case.

You decided to turn that into changing their story and perjuring themselves all on your own.

Captain Suave

The statement was "drop charges." That means tell the DA you no longer wish to pursue the case. You decided to turn that into changing their story and perjuring themselves all on your own.

And, I will repeat, it is not the victim's prerogative to drop charges. The DA may or may not consider the victims' wishes and decline to proceed. This is a fine distinction but an important one. If the perpetrator has irritated the DA enough, it does not matter what the victim wants.

We got here because someone said Conor could just pay the guy to drop criminal charges. He cannot. (Never mind that it's not the victim's decision anyway.) It is illegal for the perpetrator to offer money to the victim in order to influence the victim to tell the DA they do not wish to pursue charges. The victim becomes a witness if they have given a sworn police report, which this guy did, regardless of whether a criminal court proceeding has started. After the initial police report is filed, attempts influence the witness can be classified as witness tampering. It is also illegal for the victim to accept money in exchange for telling the DA they wish to drop charges. If the DA wants to proceed, the victim can be compelled against their will to testify, although this is very rare. If their compelled testimony differs from their initial sworn report, they are open to perjury charges themselves.

The government absolutely does not want people of means to be able to reliably buy their way out of consequences for criminal offenses.

Yes, this is a lot of "can" and "could", but the whole point was to scope out the space of what is and is not legally permissible behavior. It's entirely possible that the DA thinks Conor is a great guy and will let him off the hook. Or maybe not. We don't know.

Here's a fairly good writeup:

Conor McGregor’s immigration, legal troubles from Miami arrest

Last edited:

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
His whiskey sales are doing impressively well globally. He is also launching a Rosé called Champ Champ Rosé. I don't think he is going to burn through his money any time soon. He should've taken the Cowboy fight imo. There are plenty of options for him. He gets to call the shots and regardless of what the UFC thinks they've done to minimize the biggest starts contributions, those cards are still going to sell over a million and Conor will always have the negotiating power unless he just gets destroyed a couple times in a row if he returns. Even if that were to happen, and this goes back to the beginning, he has too many options to ever run out of money. He's just got uniquely popular personality that will intrigue folks no matter what happens with him.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Without actual numbers, this is no. 1 boolshit.

He's apparently sold 200k+ cases. Whether that's a lot or not I have no idea. Reviews on the actual product range from "it's dogshit" to "it's not awful but not great, and maybe not a rip-off at $30".

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I mean, I guess it's ok if they want to cash in quickly...but will it still be around in 20 years? I don't care about branding. There's too many other decent whiskeys to care about it.

Fedor

<Banned>

LQi8D5Y.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users