<Gold Donor>
jon jones will never be goat

GOAT list -

GSP
Fedor
Not Jon Jones
Whittaker (/pray)
It's gonna be like all the people who argued against GSP for GOAT

Thiago is good, don't get me wrong, but how is it Jones is the GOAT but wasn't able to put him away when the guy was hurt, and had to go to such a close decision?

Also, LOL, because it's the Diaz brothers, and of course this happened. Of course it did.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Jones is the goat in my opinion. He fought a close fight last night though. What people don't realize is how good is defense is. Johnny Walker might pose some serious problems for him. DC at heavyweight will also be tough for Jones.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jones just seems like he's sparring when he is given the choice cuts instead of prime rib.

He puts out a massive clinic vs DC and gus, but he just phones it in against lesser ranked guys like OSP/Smith/Santos

i mean yea, if we want a good show, Jones vs. Stipe.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely would like to see that match again. Santos held his own the whole match even with the hurt leg.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
jones is that fucking good, that he makes number 2 -> whatever look like trash. literally, we have never seen a human being move like him. and with all of gods gifts, he still needs to pulse, poke, and oblique front kick. what a cunt. he eyepoked santos in round 5 WITH a damaged ACL ... such ... a ... cunt ...

jon jones does represent earth in the intergalactic "show us what you got" championship. but he is as tainted as lance armstrong.

>> He puts out a massive clinic vs DC and gus

no he didn't. DC was grinding him down and got caught. gus didn't even turn up for fight 2. jones is that good we haven't seen him tested yet (sans DC and gus 1)

>>Santos held his own the whole match even with the hurt leg

no, he didn't, jones milked 5 rounds for us, the fans. were you not entertained?

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
He puts out a massive clinic vs DC and gus, but he just phones it in against lesser ranked guys like OSP/Smith/Santos
If you're saying that he only ever does JUST ENOUGH to win...that he needs to have good opponents to bring out the best in him...that's fine, but the rub here is that this will just leave him with a bunch of boring subpar fights where he looks nothing like a GOAT.

So do we judge GOAT status by performance, or by ability? Because if it's the former, he's not the GOAT. If it's the latter, then there's probably someone bailing hay in Nebraska right now that we should really give that GOAT status to.

We all heard the boos. That was the result of JJ doing just enough against a lame Santos to keep the belt. That alone should raise an eyebrow; if it doesn't, you're just a Jones homer. I don't care if you are, just own it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you're saying that he only ever does JUST ENOUGH to win...that he needs to have good opponents to bring out the best in him...that's fine, but the rub here is that this will just leave him with a bunch of boring subpar fights where he looks nothing like a GOAT.

So do we judge GOAT status by performance, or by ability? Because if it's the former, he's not the GOAT. If it's the latter, then there's probably someone bailing hay in Nebraska right now that we should really give that GOAT status to.

We all heard the boos. That was the result of JJ doing just enough against a lame Santos to keep the belt. That alone should raise an eyebrow; if it doesn't, you're just a Jones homer. I don't care if you are, just own it.
i mean, how much of that is JJ and how much of that is J/W?

It's my assertion that J/W just ruins fighters now with their "gameplan", Jones is just so awesome he rises above whatever shitty play by play jackson has.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i mean, how much of that is JJ and how much of that is J/W?

It's my assertion that J/W just ruins fighters now with their "gameplan", Jones is just so awesome he rises above whatever shitty play by play jackson has.
Honestly? I still put it on him for accepting J/W. He could choose to go elsewhere, find new coaches, or just tell them to his face that he doesn't like the plan.

It still pains me to consider that Fedor isn't the P4P GOAT. But he let M1 Global fuck him over, fought a few cans, stopped improving as a fighter, fought a bunch of roided beasts, fought in a weight class too high, and then chose to keep fighting well beyond his prime. But that's on Fedor, you know?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh that shady bullshit with the Maldonado fight taints Fedor's legacy even more than anything else.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think its gameplan so much as Jones is done taking damage.

GSP used a similar style later in his career.

An MMA guru friend of mine predicted Jones retirement sooner than later based on the fact Jones decided he doesn't like damage. He's very damage phobic. Gus 1 was the wakeup call for him. DC cemented it.

We'll never get to see THE REAL JONES ever again. He decided he's done with the pocket. The only way to hurt Jones now is to catch him like Santos. And when Jones got caught, you saw his reaction, immediately went to hanging on the outside even when Santos fell down, tripped, or otherwise showed weakness to Jones-- Jones IGNORED it and maintained distance.

Rewatch RD 3, 4, 5. Look for Santos to stumble, fall down, turn away, or even otherwise collapse against the cage. Jones doesn't budge an inch to engage. Its a sign.

The old Jones finished fights. What we saw last night was a very damage phobic Jones.

Even when Santos fell down, stumbled, Jones did not close distance on him. Those moments were horrific to watch as a fan of MMA. Jones can finish fights.

Bittersweet night with Askren and Rockhold knocked flat.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
The old Jones finished fights. What we saw last night was a very damage phobic Jones.

Even when Santos fell down, stumbled, Jones did not close distance on him. Those moments were horrific to watch as a fan of MMA. Jones can finish fights.

Nice writeup. I agree. Bones was needlessly tentative and lacked killer instinct which is silly given the number of times his opponent was in vulnerable positions.

Ultimately as a fight fan, it's not fun to watch champs fight like this. We didn't like it with Woodley and if people catch on to Jon doing this his reputation will dip. He'll carry an aura about him and he'll receive the benefit of the doubt because of the GOAT talk, but it will catch up to him.

iannis

Musty Nester
Goat talk seems odd when these guys right 1-3 times a year and have careers that last 5-15 years. There just aren't enough bouts. Not saying there should be more, because the pace is probably right for the style of fighting. And I know at least some of them participate in other events, but you can't really consider those of you're talking mma goat.

But other combat sports have a stronger pace, so you get a lot more to talk about goat. It just seems odd. Not a lot of guys I've looked at have more than 30 fights, and lots seem to be in the 20s. Understandable but it also indicates that one bad day, for whatever reason, can have a huge impact on your overall career. Or at least the perception of it.I

There's gonna be better and there's gonna be worse, or course. Goat seems a bit hyperbolic. There's too much gamesmanship in the rankings and pairings.

I guess it's boring to say, "he's really damn good"

Goatface

either jones or his coach (maybe both) said he plans on fighting 4 times this year. which i would think would be a record for a champ in the modern era, not counting women's.
i don't understand it, but for a lot of ranked/popular fighters there is more money had outside the ring.

anyway, DC said he would fight Jones again. Jones he would fight winner of DC/Stipe. Dana has pretty much said ngannou's title shot depends on what jones does. (that was like a week or so ago, so he probably said more recently)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
either jones or his coach (maybe both) said he plans on fighting 4 times this year. which i would think would be a record for a champ in the modern era, not counting women's.
i don't understand it, but for a lot of ranked/popular fighters there is more money had outside the ring.

anyway, DC said he would fight Jones again. Jones he would fight winner of DC/Stipe. Dana has pretty much said ngannou's title shot depends on what jones does. (that was like a week or so ago, so he probably said more recently)
once brock fell through, DC realized he had to sail off into the sunset legitimately and not just strike a quick pay day.

OF COURSE he'd fight Jon Jones again

and yea if it's not jon it's most likely winklejohn that wants him to fight 4x a year. It was that kind of st00pid mentality that cost Holly the belt, instead of just waiting it out for a big Rhonda 2 payday.

Goatface

had time to look it up, it was jones that said it in March, in Jan said 3 times

=
one thing Diaz knows how to get press

bling translate
This guy wants to get what he deserves without a queue. As much as we asked him and Petis to fight, it was very difficult to negotiate with them, but the UFC can give this opportunity to this guy.

if Khabib beats Dustin and Diaz jumps over Tony, he might go postal at ufchq

=

=
edit #4

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thiago Santos suffered extensive damage to left knee against Jon Jones at UFC 239, out for rest of 2019

“Marreta” went five rounds with light heavyweight champion Jon in Las Vegas on Saturday night, losing via split decision. On Monday, an MRI exam showed that the left knee meniscus and all its ligaments are completely torn, his team told MMA Fighting. Combatefirst reported the news.

Santos’ right knee, which needed surgery earlier this year, also suffered damage during the fight as the Brazilian compensated for his left knee injuries, his team told MMA Fighting. Santos will do more tests on his right knee to determine if he needs surgery on that knee as well.

Holy fuck, his career could be over.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Ugh. As a guy with permanently compromised knees this really makes me cringe. People tend to wave off knee damage as "Oh, it's just 4 weeks/6 month recovery" but there comes a point where it impairs almost every aspect of your daily life. I'm only 40 and basically every time I stand up or sit down I have to explicitly collect myself and make sure that my alignment is perfect and I don't re-injure the joint. The mental vigilance is exhausting, never mind stuff like not being able to play soccer with my kids.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity