MMA Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i mean why not, for this young buck, it shoulda been an easy pay day, a paid honeymoon actually

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd be super pissed if I had money on those fights and that is all it took for the ref's to stop them.

Sure, they both ate huge shots, they were rocked, but they didn't tap, they didn't go unconscious and they were both still defending themselves.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The hammer fists looked to be square on the temple, 3 or 4 of them before the ref stopped him. He would have kept eating them had the ref not moved Faber off him. Once the ref moved Faber is when Smith was able to move out of it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If moving in is 1 shot to put Smith on the ground, another just as he landed, 3-4 hammer fists to the temple, sure. Smith didn't look to do shit about it till the ref moved Faber.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Whatever, I'm not gonna change my mind that it was a quick stop but either way it wasn't an egregious 'petition for a NC' stop so who cares.

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Whatever, I'm not gonna change my mind that it was a quick stop but either way it wasn't an egregious 'petition for a NC' stop so who cares.

If eating 10+ punches while not intelligently defending yourself is a quick stoppage. Maybe we should change the rule for stopping a fight. No more tapping out, no more covering up. Get put unconscious or a broken appendage to stop a fight.

Gavin you’ve been such a shit again on this entire forum for so long. It’s always your way or the highway. You dismiss everything, and everone here. You have refused to ever discuss things in an argument, and always fall back to the old homage, ‘I’m right, your wrong’. Shut the fuck up and engage in discussions.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If eating 10+ punches while not intelligently defending yourself is a quick stoppage. Maybe we should change the rule for stopping a fight. No more tapping out, no more covering up. Get put unconscious or a broken appendage to stop a fight.

Gavin you’ve been such a shit again on this entire forum for so long. It’s always your way or the highway. You dismiss everything, and everone here. You have refused to ever discuss things in an argument, and always fall back to the old homage, ‘I’m right, your wrong’. Shut the fuck up and engage in discussions.

I literally just agreed to disagree you irrelevant mongoloid.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gimme Ref Burke any day over these recent pussy early stoppage bullshits
AcclaimedGlamorousFanworms.gif

and who didn't complain the most?

“I sleep better at night,” Holm said recently, “knowing that I was given the chance to fight back.”

• 1Worf

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
The best fighters always want to fight back. They'll fight through a broken nose, broken hand, completely torn knee, or worse and risk permanent hard to themselves.

The referee's job is to temper that. Yes, these two athletes locked themselves in a cage to get punched in the face, but there's a limit they reach where the risk to their long term health is high and their chance at coming back to win is small, and that's the grey area you try to draw the line.

We'll always have people disagree on shades of grey if we want to get into the minutia. For me, I liked the two stoppages. We've advanced the science behind brain trauma too much put those very young and incredibly talented fighters to risk further brain damage for the remote chance of a comeback.

Not every KO looks like Masvidal–Askren. This isn't the Roman Coliseum where two opponents brawl to the death; these fighters should hope to have a long career and a long life after the octagon. The sooner we all accept that the better fighters' futures will be both in the cage with longer careers and outside the cage with stronger cognitive function.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's always better to stop the fight late than stop the fight early
“Referees have a tough job,” Ladd said. “They have to make split-second decisions. This one did not go my way so I wish it hadn’t occurred, but I really can’t tell you what he saw. I haven’t spoke to him after. No hard feelings.”

this sjw bullshit is stupid, OMG, they took unnecessary damage

SHAME!!!
SHAME!!! on the ref

why are all the refs pussies now?

cuz of Mario Yamasaki,
note i believe he did nothing wrong, a year ago he ref'd

Valentina was dominating this bitch like a bear playing with a steak, 217 mounted strikes, and ppl are like "MARIO DID NOTHING"

no, Mario let it go on, cuz everytime he was gonna step in, the bitch defended herself in some way.

It's not like she's getting rocked, these are pillow fists, sure they hurt, but shes still able to defend.

She at any point, could have easily GSP tapped, her corner could have at any point nick diazed a towel.

But no, we blame Mario b/c we don't want to see bloody little princesses

• 1Picard

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
so where do you draw the line? balancing will, entertainment, ref reaction roll, damage (short and long? term) etc. a few things tend to happen gnp style ...

1. fighter is obviously ktfo. opponent wails on them anyway out of bloodlust, spite or whatever else they are using as fuel out there. you hendo yourself into bisping like a motherfucker.
2. fighter is obviously ktfo. do the mark hunt walk away. maybe check on the corpse in a bit.
3. fighter is full/back mounted, getting accurately pounded for serious damage with no real resistance possible. how many hits do you think makes the point?
4. bad position with monkey style drubbing. you just got khabib'd, it will be a miserable night. you should just submit like he's telling you to do.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so where do you draw the line? balancing will, entertainment, ref reaction roll, damage (short and long? term) etc. a few things tend to happen gnp style ...

1. fighter is obviously ktfo. opponent wails on them anyway out of bloodlust, spite or whatever else they are using as fuel out there. you hendo yourself into bisping like a motherfucker.
2. fighter is obviously ktfo. do the mark hunt walk away. maybe check on the corpse in a bit.
3. fighter is full/back mounted, getting accurately pounded for serious damage with no real resistance possible. how many hits do you think makes the point?
4. bad position with monkey style drubbing. you just got khabib'd, it will be a miserable night. you should just submit like he's telling you to do.
1. obviously not egregious, sure dan "claimed" that he knew bisping was ko'd and he just forearm'd him for lulz, but no one hates it, and it makes a great logo
dan-henderson-ufc-173-walkout-shirt.jpg

besides it ended up being an easy gimme title defense fight for bisping, so in the end everyone is happy.

2. yea that ONLY works for hunt, look what happens when you're Mark Hunt lite.

Big Country vs. Big Foot ref'd by Big John
giphy.gif

then you have roy being a retard
FelineFrequentKrill-size_restricted.gif

“Yeah, when you knock someone out you already know it’s like a home run. For me, I wanted to knock him out but then I have to throw more punches. He’s my friend and he has to go home to his family. He’s my friend.”

He's being a pussy and footing the blame on Big John. BigFoot lost his chin, but if roy didn't do those strikes on the ground bigfoot would have gotten up.

HEY ROY! you don't have to fight your friend retard.

3. this is ref's call on intelligent defense, if the mounted fighter is actively trying to find a better position while trying to protect his head or doing some kind of active defense... give him every chance possible.

a. if the fighter is trying, let it go
b. if the ref sees the fighter trying, let it go
c. if the corner hasn't thrown in the towel yet, let it go

There are 3 checks n balances happening every second

4. and yet, no one has tapped to khabib from strikes in the UFC, khabib BEGGED michael johnson to give up, nope, he had to choke him out, and khabib was only able to get stoppages from non ranked LW's and from the horcher fight, khabib had him crusifix'd locked up both arms and then mounted him and horcher just covered up, no active defense.

a better example would have been cruz vs. mikzugaki
mizugaki%2Btko.gif

after mikugaki flipped over, cruz tied up his arm and that was 10 unanswered shots.

sure, i'd say 4 would have been enough, and ref was def too slow, but no one hates on this fight. also it's fucking BW pillowfists from the Decisionator, and he still managed to fuck up his acl again.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a big fan of the corner monitoring their own fighters. Those dudes need to throw the towel for it to be stopped from not defending, not the ref. I think the ref should only stop fights if the person is KOed or put to sleep from a submission. These guys know what they are signing up for and if they want to go out on their shield so be it. I already know that's an unpopular opinion.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
I dont disagree that corners should bear more responsibility for saving their fighter, but can you imagine how quickly Dana "tough guy" White would lose his shit over that?

• 1Solidarity