Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
1.gif
Lol a fucking dog bar

Oliver Geddes pulls this off all the time. 9:20 in

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I am looking at my picks for this weekend, and I am seeing 3 decisions in the 3 main fights. There is of course the possibility the Cain vs JDS fight ends early, but I foresee the fight going much the same way as last time.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is of course the possibility the Cain vs JDS fight ends early, but I foresee the fight going much the same way as last time.
My brain has a hard time seeing it any differently. Which is often a good reason for you to go the other way=P

I'll probably do a little breakdown of the card some time this week. Give folks a more thorough set of picks to go against for guaranteed winnings.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My brain has a hard time seeing it any differently. Which is often a good reason for you to go the other way=P

I'll probably do a little breakdown of the card some time this week. Give folks a more thorough set of picks to go against for guaranteed winnings.
Wow, you haven't graced us with one of those in a while. I am not sure how many differences we would have in picks, as a handful of them appear to be no brainers. Well to me at least. Of course I haven't been winning much lately, so what the fuck do I know.

ezcw_sl

shitlord
Here's Holly Holm from last night, 2 time Ring Magazine women'sboxerof the year. 5 fights, 5 KO's, 4 by kicks.

1.gif
I was at that event. That other chick was so outmatched that the entire fight just felt cruel. The .gif doesn't really do the sidekick justice either, it was brutal sounding.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was at that event. That other chick was so outmatched that the entire fight just felt cruel.
Depth of female fighters in general, especially outside the UFC at 135 now, is laughable. Honestly not really sure how she'd do against the "elite" of the division in the UFC, but the novelty of a truly high end female striker alone should be enough to make it worth watching.

I'm no expert on the lady fighters, but the only elite strikers I can think of in MMA are Holm and Cyborg. Even someone like Kaufman isn't really a great striker, just better than the deplorable striking of most women. There's some pretty fierce MT females out there, if more of them start coming over and work on heir grappling it will really change the game. Looking up some Invicta results and names, Miriam Nakamoto in is off to a good start with a MT base. And Veronica Rothenhausler over there is supposed to have some real power even though she's only got one pro fight.

Hoping Tiffany Van Soest comes over to MMA. Saw her on a Lionfight MT card this year where she was sort of half-heartedly doing little BJJ stuff and hinted that she's training for MMA.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since I'm driving the Holly Holm hypewagon here and I love Jack Slack's striking breakdowns I'm sort of obligated to post this.

Holly Holm: The Best Striker in Womens MMA | Bleacher Report

edit: Reddit comments on the article mention another Invicta striker chick, Joanne Calderwood.

edit2: Holm's next opponent announced. 40 year old 6-6Angela Hayesin her first fight in 2 years.

Yeah, she needs to get in to Invicta or the UFC like yesterday.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I was surprised, pleasantly, to see Dana go down and remove those pictures on TUF tonight. The stupid drama is what drove me away from this show, and seeing him want to quash it before it starts was nice to see. I am just shocked that he even went and did that, since he seems to thrive on drama.

I actually dislike Ronda less after this episode. I think she is just a super competitive person who simply doesn't know how to handle losing, in any way. It is a bit childish, but I understand it at least. She seems to be a good coach and really cares about the people she is coaching.

Really glad that Josh Hill lost. Last thing the UFC needs is another pure wrestler.

Oh, and "weight cut penis" was one of the funnier things I have heard in a while.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The next glory evet is going to be awesome, lightweight tournament. Seriously, support this stuff, its free on Spike.

Giorgio Petrosyan will be fighting on the card, if you haven't seen this guy fight you NEED to tune in and see him work. One of the best strikers of all time.

Renault

N00b
That guy has some fast and vicious counter punches.

It's always funny to watch stuff that shows just how awful 90% of MMA striking is in comparison.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
That guy has some fast and vicious counter punches.

It's always funny to watch stuff that shows just how awful 90% of MMA striking is in comparison.
He's ridiculous. Catching the push kick and countering with a straight right using the catching hand...that's insane. He does it at 1:36

Countering left hooks with knees to the right side, that take incredible timing and speed

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to think like this, lately I'm more forgiving. It's like comparing the boxing part of kickboxing to professional boxing. You can't just compare one part of a sport to a sport entirely dedicated to that. Floyd Mayweather would embarrass Petroysan in a pure boxing match the same way Petrosyan would embarrass Anthony Pettis in a K-1 match. What works in K-1 does not translate directly to success in MMA striking. You don't have to look any further than Alistair Overeem. Similarly what striking works in MMA absolutely does not translate to K-1 success, obviously.

Footwork and defense especially are wildly different between the sports. None of this is to say that MMA striking is anywhere near as crisp and technical as high level K-1 striking, but every time people get in to a big circlejerk about how superior striking is in a striking sport it makes me shake my head. It's a different sport, period.

Still, folks should watch Glory. Petrosyan is fuckin amazing=)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually dislike Ronda less after this episode. I think she is just a super competitive person who simply doesn't know how to handle losing, in any way. It is a bit childish, but I understand it at least. She seems to be a good coach and really cares about the people she is coaching.
She's stupid. She's a fucking idiot. Keep that in mind when you think about her reactions to things and they make sense suddenly. Prank picture? "FUCKING RACIST PUSSY PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE SHIT!". Who reacts like that? A stupid person.

She's definitely got that hyper-competitive Michael Jordan win at all costs attitude, but she's so GD stupid that it comes out in ridiculous ways. Her breaking down in ragetears because she thinks Tate was too happy Rousey's fighter(a long time FRIEND of Tate's) lost? Guh. And you can see how aware of this Dana is with the way he's trying to contain her shit.

Love they showed her actually coaching though, it was the main thing I was looking forward to this season. Watching the show it seems like she's in there working with them in the gym every single day, but they haven't really highlighted any of it before. I did miss the previous episode though(Jessamyn Duke fight one) so possible I missed some there.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, I am not saying she is my favorite person by any means. I just understand her reactions...to an extent. Just because someone is stupid doesn't mean I automatically dismiss them and dislike them. Hell, my sister in law is one of those crazy people that think vaccines cause Autism, and she posts that shit on Facebook all the time. I think she is dumb as shit, doesn't mean I dislike her
smile.png

All that said yes, she is dumb and reacts in absolutely retarded over the top ways.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wasn't disagreeing with you=P Just giving context to her batshit reactions to what she perceives as losing. Super competitive + Stupid = Ronda Rousey

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK fuckers, it's been a long time so I'll just remind you before I start: Go against my picks and then send me a small percentage of your near guaranteed winnings.

UFC 166

Cain Velasquezvs Junior dos Santos
Cain is a fucking mauler, there's no two ways about it. If there was zero threat of a takedown JDS would have the advantage, but there's ALWAYS the threat and he has to account for that. The great equalizer on the feet. And when it gets off the feet Cain is more comfortable than any HW since Fedor in his prime. He has no fear or submissions because his base is so strong and if it goes beyond two rounds he WILL be stronger than his opponent. I love JDS, he seems like the nicest guy in the world, but I have to pick Cain by ref stoppage in the 4th. JDS comes out of this one lookingjust as bad as the last one.BTW, Cain is the older fighter here by over 2 years.

Daniel Cormiervs. Roy Nelson
Cormier is faster and a way better wrestler. There's no reason to think he'll let Roy land that one big shot that is his best chance.
It's weird to say because it works pretty well for him, but Roy has a bit of Jorge Gurgel/Andy Wang syndrome. He's a legit world class BJJ black belt but he only seems to use that BJJ defensively or to set up GnP. I'm not sure if it's just because he has shit takedowns or what, but he hasn't submitted anyone in MMA since2006. Subbed 4of his first 6 opponents(sub to punches doesn't count), and none since. So yeah, he's got 1 clear advantage over Cormier(1 punch power) and 1 possible advantage(BJJ) and he doesn't use one of them. This adds up to a 3 round mauling by Cormier for the decision.

Gilbert Melendezvs. Diego Sanchez
Similar fighters. Both push the pace, have decent striking, and usually have great gas tanks. Gil's striking is cleaner and his wrestling is stronger, Diego's submissions are better except much like Roy he doesn't really commit to them much. Keep in mind though for almost all fighters they get fewer submissions the higher they climb the ladder. There's so many great BJJ coaches out there that almost everyone has really tight BJJ defense. Anyways, they beat the shit out of each other on the feet, but Gil's superior striking wins out and he gets the decision.

Gabriel Gonzaga vs.Shawn Jordan
I'm banking on kickboxer Gabe showing up and getting put to sleep before he gets the chance to wake up and use his grappling. He doesn't have a great chin, and Jordan hits hard. I don't see Gonzaga getting the fight to the ground unscathed, and that should be all Jordan needs. Jordan is really dangerous in close and that's where Gabe tends to try to fight because of his size, it's gonna backfire here. 1st round KO for Jordan.

Tim Boetschvs.CB Dollaway
Before his stint on TUF 5 years I had Dollaway pegged as a future title contender in the UFC, but he's never seemed to step up his game like some guys do. He's 30 now and it seems clear he's climbed the UFC ladder as high as he's going to. Boetsch isn't going to be challenging for the belt any time soon either, but he's fought better competition and fared better against them. Dollaway's striking has a bad habit of leaving him open and even in wins he seems to eat some big shots. Tim Boetsch is really good at pouncing once he has an opening so I'm gonna say him by 2nd round TKO.

John Dodson vs.Darrell Montague
Who? He's only 3% on the fight picker! Yeah, that's because he wasn't on TUF and it's his first UFC fight. He's a legit top 5-10 pubeweight or whatever they call 125. He beat pretty much everyone in Tachi Palace Fights(the main home for the weight class previously) except Ian McCall. He's a better technical striker than Dodson and he's a better grappler than Dodson. We've got this inflated sense of how good Dodson is because he went on a nice run and we're not used to seeing 125 guys KO people. Well he's got 1 more KO than Montague in 5 more fights, and he's 4 years older. Yeah, Darrell Montague, remember the name. Decision because these guys are slightly bigger than one of my testicles. Of course Dodson could end it with one punch=P

Nate Marquardt vs.Hector Lombard
Both guys tend to gas out, Lombard has the better chin, pick him by late KO. Late 2nd or 3rd. Hector talks about how he doesn't care how he wins, but he tends to try to finish fights. I'm guessing after losing by decision his last fight he'll be even more eager to put it away. Nate's on the way out I think. He seems completely reliant on landing a big shot now to set up his finishes, like he's lost the speed or wrestling required to FORCE openings. Lombard only loses by decision, and I don't see Nate being able to avoid enough damage from him to get there. I'd kind of like to be wrong.

Tony Fergusonvs. Mike Rio
I don't feel very strongly on this one. Ferguson is the better technical guy so I lean his way. He's been out for over a year, but he always seemed like a really hard worker so I don't expect ring rust to be an issue. Ferguson by decision, but don't be stunned it Rio sneaks in a submission win. He seemed pretty click with them.

Sarah Kaufmanvs. Jessica Eye
I'd go towards Eye except I think she's gonna get worn out by Kaufman's superior strength. That's it. Kaufman by split decision. If Eye was a more aggressive submission artist I'd go the other way, Kaufman's BJJ defense is somewhat lacking.

George Sotiropoulos vs.KJ Noons
Holy shit, these guys have combined to lose 8 of their last 9 fights. This is a tough one, George sucks at controlling where the fight goes but KJ doesn't seem to give a shit in the cage anymore. I've changed my pick 3 times but I'm going with KJ I guess. This fight plays right to his strengths. Sotiropoulos often can't or doesn't really try to get the fight to the ground where he has the advantage over almost anyone. KJ has decent takedown and BJJ defense. I think he's gonna beat George up pretty bad here, just can't decide if he'll get the finish. I'll say 3rd round TKO. Hope George likes the incoming Bellator contract offer, and actually I hope he gets one.

Anthony Waldburgervs. Adlan Amagov
TJ Waldburger! Here's a motherfucker not afraid to attack with BJJ. Amagov tends to be in entertaining fights, I'm kind of banking on him getting caught in a scramble here. He could very easily win by KO at any minute, but I like aggressive submission artists so fuck it, TJ by sub in the 1st. Put even less weight on this suggestion than the rest.

Jeremy Larsen vs.Andre Fili
I think I might have seen Fili on InsideMMA highlights before. Maybe. Whatever, Larsen blows. Fili by KO in the 1st. Sherdog says he's an Alpha Male fighter and they've been on a roll since Bang started coaching there.

Dustin Pague vs.Kyoji Horiguchi
Fairly confident I've never seen Horiguchi fight, but Pague sucks. Horiguchi has beaten Ian Loveland and Ishiwatari so I guess he knows how to fight. Plus he fights out of Krazy Bee gym and I've seen a lot of their fighters put on really entertaining fights. So Horiguchi by decision.

There you go, now you don't even need to watch the event since you know how everything will turn out.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well shit, now I am torn on a couple of my picks. I keep waiting for Gonzaga to remember that he is a legit BJJ black belt, and I would be willing to bet he would sub Jordan with relative ease if he tried. However, he will most likely be stupid and try to stand with Jordan and get KO'd. But now since you have spelled it out the same way, I am convinced that Gonzaga will sub him! What to do what to do...

I was pretty much feeling the same way on George vs KJ. I would like to see George win, because watching his ground game is fun. But I have a feeling he won't be able to get it to the ground and KJ is going to simply outpoint him for 3 rounds.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I'm picking the main event against my better judgement. I want JDS to win so i'm picking him, i know there's a 99.9 percent chance Cain wins tho!