MMO Glitches / Sploits

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Anyway, another EQ1 classic glitch was being able to cast while moving. It let you dodge AEs and keep casting. Cast interruption was based on if your x,y,z coordinates were the same at the start and end of the cast and didn't care about inbeween. So like on Nagafen you find a corner. Cast a long casting spell, run and dodge the AE,run back to the corner before casting is finished and your spell still goes off.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
thus negating any need for money.
Looks like you've swallowed the capitalist line about money being wealth/value/work/whatever. It's not. As its core, money is a unit of social influence. The most basic and old forms of money are all about swapping gifts and impressing neighbours. When I buy a loaf of bread, they're telling you that you are trading some markers of work or property or whatever for a bread, but, in fact, you've spend some of your influence to the baker to convince him to give you a loaf. And the baker hopes to use this influence for whatever. You can also mix abstract with some of your personal influence with the baker to get the loaf (it's called haggling).

And thus, when we're all immortals and unbounded, money will still exist. No one's buying loaves of bread or aspirin, but influence, however, remains eternal as long as we're human...

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A lawyer would know a lot of IP is protected by trade secret and just a patent wouldn't be enough =p
To make the stuff? Nope.

To have the ones who figure out how to make the stuff have to pay you anyway? Plenty enough.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What? Why would anyone be forced to pay you?
Because if you don't, I'll sue you. That's the point of patenting things (from the future, natch): when someone wants to make them, they have to license your patent or you can sue them for damages. No work needed from your part (well, a few legal filings, but that's not work, it's lawyer stuff).

And the beauty is that it doesn't matter if you use only a little bit from the patent, and have invented - even patented - the rest yourself. You still have to pay me.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because if you don't, I'll sue you. That's the point of patenting things (from the future, natch): when someone wants to make them, they have to license your patent or you can sue them for damages. No work needed from your part (well, a few legal filings, but that's not work, it's lawyer stuff).

And the beauty is that it doesn't matter if you use only a little bit from the patent, and have invented - even patented - the rest yourself. You still have to pay me.
So you'd go into the future to come back a piece of shit. Got it.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like you need to look into what exactly patent law is. In short, a patent-holder actually MUST pursue any infringement or they lose their patent.

That said, using time travel for something so mundane is gay.

kudos

<Banned>
Nobody gives a fuck about patents or what you'd travel back in time with. Talk about exploits please. I was hoping we'd get to the point where people would post current in-game MMO exploits but I don't see that happening anymore. The best time to be in EQ lately was during ghosting. Someone has to know something as cool these days in some MMO.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
There actually has to be a good enough MMO released that you'd care enough to exploit. Who gives a damn if you find some leet exploit in WoW now? Oh noes, you can get get your armor tokenz faster.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In EQ after a patch there was no range limitation on archery and almost no delay. I managed to kill 2 named dragons in Western Waste by plinking at them from beyond aggro range back when they were hotly contested.

There were several places in several zones you could camp out and log back in at the safe spot for that zone, Sirens Grotto being a big one. Camp in the corner of the wall near the Cobalt Scar zoneline and log in at the opposite end of the zone at the Western Waste zoneline.

My favorite bug was a post patch one where you could forage any item on the drop table for that zone. I foraged a lammy in Seb, I'm pretty sure they rolled the server back for that one however.

kudos

<Banned>
In EQ after a patch there was no range limitation on archery and almost no delay. I managed to kill 2 named dragons in Western Waste by plinking at them from beyond aggro range back when they were hotly contested.

There were several places in several zones you could camp out and log back in at the safe spot for that zone, Sirens Grotto being a big one. Camp in the corner of the wall near the Cobalt Scar zoneline and log in at the opposite end of the zone at the Western Waste zoneline.

My favorite bug was a post patch one where you could forage any item on the drop table for that zone. I foraged a lammy in Seb, I'm pretty sure they rolled the server back for that one however.
There was a time in WoW where hunters had no cooldown on a certain ability. It was quickly fixed but my guild took full advantage before it was fixed.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I somehow did a sploit in WoW where I could cast while still running as my Shaman. This was in vanilla before Spiritwalk(?). Could never emulate it again.

Most of the best exploits though were in EQ though, which I didn't get into as much of some of the others around here.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Early after WoW's release one of the patches broke levitate for priests. I could climb virtually every surface that wasn't perfectly 90 degress to the ground. I was on an active PVP server (Keep in mind this was before honor tokens so people actually PVPed outdoors) and while I showed off a few times I never really exploited it. The biggest thing I climbed was Black Rock Mountain. The jump from the top to the ground took 14 seconds. This is all pretty mundane now with flying mounts though
wink.png

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For a while during WotLK WoW era knockbacks would instantly demount enemy players in Wintergrasp the outdoor PVP zone. Anyone over a 3-story height would suffer fatal fall damage and take durability loss resulting in repair costs. As a mage with blast wave (instant PBAE knockback), slow fall to safely land on the ground, and an achievement mount that was 30% faster I quickly became the terror of the skies with no one daring to fly except at low heights and all AFKing was done at a safe spot on the ground. I literally racked up over 1000 knockback kills before they finally fixed it but the terror didn't end there. Living bomb DoT and instant nukes could still kill flyers the old fashioned way, but the most famous of which was the epic rundown of an enemy horde also with the faster mount. After making an initial midair damage run I put him into low health but he took off and kept flying while my brother tracked him on his hunter. He literally tailed the guy out of Wintergrasp all the way into Borean Tundra (remaining PVP flagged) but his straight path to avoid me catching up happened to go directly over a lake. With the target still in low health my brother demounted, crit his Kill shot to finish the bastard, and then landed safely in water with zero fall damage.

Even without the knockback sploits aerial combat between priests and mages became common although mages definitely had the better end of it. Priest levitate broke on damage and mages could spellsteal each others slow fall. Toss in silence, ice block invulnerability and invis to escape on the ground and that was the best non-traditional PVP WoW ever had. I even tracked down the hardly known Evonice's Landin' Pilla trinket for 10 second slow fall so hunters could join in the action. Still didn't get as many hate tells from newly created alts as I did during the knockback days.

Edit: almost forgot but you could fly inside the door and curl upwards and if your mount lasted just long enough you could land on top of the inner pillars. Death from above from indoors on unsuspecting raiders. The best was spamming tab + living bomb on targets in a large group and watching the explosions destroy entire packs.

kudos

<Banned>
I do remember abusing geometry in PVP battlegrounds in WoW.

I was a rogue and would stealth all the way to the back of the Alterac Valley map and wall climb up the side and then grab the GY flag. After that everyone just pushed and it would be a 10 min AV win for alliance. I got most of my honor gear that way back in the day.

In Warsong Gulch there were all kinds of ways to climb the walls to get behind bases or on top so that the opposing team couldn't get their flag back. At one time you could even drop behind your own flag / wall and wait and then jump through and cap your flag.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So you'd go into the future to come back a piece of shit. Got it.
Goes well with the original idea which was to travel into the past with a list of MMO sploits and use them to RMT the hell of it. If you want to cheat, cheat the biggest way you can.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Using the same exploit: In Plane of Earth B my guild would skip everything before Rathe Council and in Vex Thal we could run on the roof and get to any of the bosses. Also, I never did it personally but Necros could solo Mithaniel Marr. The exploit allowing all of this was related to Necros+Mount+DMF Clicky item. If you spam-click the DMF item, while on a mount, while auto-running at a wall, you would RISE instead of FALL, you pop through the ceiling of the zone-in to PoEB then float over to the Rathe Council area, use summon corpse on your mage and start CoHing the raid. In Vex thal you do the same thing until the necro is standing on the VT roof, summon mage, (or corpses of your group), and a necro could use it to rise to the ceiling in Mith Marr's room and use pets to slowly kill him.

Also some weird "bugs" later in the game due to Sony's excellent scripting. In the last zone of GoD 1 boss in particular would spawn adds in intervals and the doors to the room would lock and all kinds of bullshit. My guild wiped to the boss but I was able to FD in a corner (I was a monk), I always had a revive staff on me (would sell & re-buy to recharge them), and I got our raid revived back up... thing was, the door was still locked and the boss stopped spawning adds (and the adds despawned) and once our raid was all back up, we were able to kill the boss without it ever fighting back. Seemed cheap-as-fuck but whatever, this was the kinda shit that was memorable to me.

With regard to pulling and aggro ticks: the trick to splitting Rathe council and most other mobs of the sort was that once the rest of the mobs were back in their "home" position, they would no longer respond to the "help" call of the mobs that had not reset yet. Simply pull 1 of the mobs far enough away, let the rest reset, and you can solo pull very easily. I was a Monk and the raid leader for my guild and I pulled everything in the game up to GoD. Rathe was a very simple encounter to pull and could be done easily with 1 monk.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
The best sploit would be too make a few well timed trades on the swindle market . Then just buy the MMO of choice for a hobby out of your sofa change.

Think of the fun you could have .
Assling druids with a huge xp ratio too level.
Randomly make characters combust who need it with a bolt from the heavens .
The fun would be limited only by your imagination.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
i in Vex Thal we could run on the roof and get to any of the bosses.
A couple years ago last time I checked you could still do this. There was a hole in the roof if you ran around the back of the castle. I think it was right above the human hat oozes.