MMO Glitches / Sploits

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My favorite EQ exploit by far was the Beastlord one.

When the class was first introduced, a player had to use a spell to level thier pet. It was tedious but it came with a fantastic exploit. There were two items at the time that had basic charm spells that any player could use. One was fairly easy to acquire and it worked on animals only. The other which came from one of the planes(Fear I think) was not as easy to get at the time, but it worked on any basic mob. I started with the animal one. I took a trip to Oasis and looked for a Puma. At the time my wife played a Druid. A player just had to use the charm and they could then use all Beastlord related spells on the charmed animal. I then would just zone and wait 5 minutes. The amount of fun I had watching players being attacked by a released 46th leveled Puma with a breath weapon, hasted, SoWed, many Stat buffs and a damage shield was a lot. Players would communicate in chat complaining about my special kitty cat. Many thought it was a GM event. When a higher leveled player finally did kill it, everyone asked what it dropped. I laughed so hard at the response of " meat and a ruined pelt".

As you can imagine, Crushbone was so much fun with the strings and a orc pawn...

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
There was a finger bone that if you linked it would crash the zone in EQ.

Oh I hang out in an IRC channel for motorcycle riders with fansy and he is a network admin for SoE.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
My favorite EQ exploit by far was the Beastlord one.

When the class was first introduced, a player had to use a spell to level thier pet. It was tedious but it came with a fantastic exploit. There were two items at the time that had basic charm spells that any player could use. One was fairly easy to acquire and it worked on animals only. The other which came from one of the planes(Fear I think) was not as easy to get at the time, but it worked on any basic mob. I started with the animal one. I took a trip to Oasis and looked for a Puma. At the time my wife played a Druid. A player just had to use the charm and they could then use all Beastlord related spells on the charmed animal. I then would just zone and wait 5 minutes. The amount of fun I had watching players being attacked by a released 46th leveled Puma with a breath weapon, hasted, SoWed, many Stat buffs and a damage shield was a lot. Players would communicate in chat complaining about my special kitty cat. Many thought it was a GM event. When a higher leveled player finally did kill it, everyone asked what it dropped. I laughed so hard at the response of " meat and a ruined pelt".

As you can imagine, Crushbone was so much fun with the strings and a orc pawn...
I think I did it with a rabbit in the Eastern Wastes, if I recall correctly it took advantage also from the summoned mage weapons for pets. The fun was quite prolonged until a bunch of people in their high 30s teamed up to kill it.

Boobietastles_sl

shitlord
Fire pot in Savant room in Lguk. You were immune from physical damage if you stood in the fire pot.

Also, you could cast on/shoot arrows at the Freeport monk guildmasters if you stood on the second floor of that bulding next to the ashen order. They couldn't get up there to kill you.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
In early UO in you could accept a rez and use a macro program to take 1 step forward. Doesn't seem great until you remember as a ghost you could go through doors. Brother and I looted a ton of houses before we got banned. I think this was also one of the first mass banning done on an mmo. At the time like 10k people got banned in a single weekend for it (other people finally caught on.. we should have not been greedy).

hats

Molten Core Raider
There was an incredible EQ1 exploit thread like this with volumes of pages on the old FOH forum... Its the one thing of value that I reallyreallywish was archived.. Moarr pleeeasse

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
when i invent my time machine, i am going to print out this thread and take it back to 1999 with me. then i'll make a small fortune RMTing.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
when i invent my time machine, i am going to print out this thread and take it back to 1999 with me. then i'll make a small fortune RMTing.
In terms of time machine money making that is exactly the narrow thinking we expect from the stereotypical gamer.

Bringing back an HD monitor, PC or graphics card to reverse engineer and patent is more profitable.

hats

Molten Core Raider
take me with you
redface.png

I dont want to RMT, I just want to perform these exploits and obtain undue pixel superiority

I guess I'd invest in apple too

awfal

Silver Knight of the Realm
EQ:

Unrest, there was an invisible NPC that you could only target using /target npc_001. He would re-charge all of your consumables. Came in handy recharging egg-shaped pumice, Vox res sticks, etc. You could also do this by selling a full-charged item to a vendor and buying it back.

/target in general was excellent during Kunark-Velious for checking spawns without having to track or clear to them.

Training mobs away or towards people using COH box or res boxes was always fun.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
In WOW you could pull Teremus the Devourer to NetherGardge keep and his AE would agro the npcs and would let you solo him for blues.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
EQ1. I played casual and leved slower so when Kunark hit my paladin was still in the 40s. When I got to the low 50s I used to solo Lguk. I found a pit by the FG that had a pathing bug. You could pull any undead mob down into the pit and then Spook Undead and it was run into the wall with the ladder but never make it out of the pit. I used to solo all the named mobs this way and gained quite a few levels, FBSS, and plats.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
In terms of time machine money making that is exactly the narrow thinking we expect from the stereotypical gamer.
hitting the lotto or making sports bets would be boring though

even if i was a millionaire i'd still spend a lot of time playing MMOs. may as well make my millions WHILE playing.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Bringing back an HD monitor, PC or graphics card to reverse engineer and patent is more profitable.
Spoken like an engineer.

A lawyer would simply bring the patent text itself and not bother with the reverse engineering.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Spoken like an engineer.

A lawyer would simply bring the patent text itself and not bother with the reverse engineering.
Yes, spoken like a lawyer

A visionary would take the time machine forward to a point where science had learned how to modify the human body to become immortal and without bounds thus negating any need for money.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
IN gw2 there was a spot at the inquest mark II golem where you could stand on him and he wouldnt be able to hit you with any abilities. Solo'ed him right after release.

I can't remember the specifics but there was something you could whisper to players in the Twin Emps fight that made them disconnect. Some shithead priest from another guild was doing it to us on one night of attempts.

In lineage 2 during Chronicle 1 the best exping spot was anthara's lair - it had the highest level mobs at the time. To get to anthara's lair you had to fight lesser, essentially trash but still dangerous, mobs and run through this canyon. Instead of wasting time running through the canyon and dealing with annoying trash mobs you could subvert it all through an exploit. The entrance to anthara's lair, at the end of the canyon, was adjacent to this mountain wall that separated where the mobs were significantly lower in level. You could just run to a point and click on top of the mountain wall and the glitch run teleport you to the top of it where you could just simply jump off and be at the entrance.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Used to love using the staff of temperate flux on people in lguk that I didn't like or people trying to edge in on my shit, target them and click the staff and it would get rid of their invis undead but the icon would never disappear so they had no idea they were going to cause trains and die. Another was when people would go afk excessively in dungeon camps used to piss me off, I would carry hate stones just for this purpose. That was when the port to hate was bugged and almost always led to needing to port your raid force together, 3/4ths of the way through the cast pull the plug on your modem and they go to hate and you disconnect and go back to where you started the cast. Did it to one dick me and a buddy couldn't stand, guy played wheres my corpse for a day while he waited for a guide/gm.

There was a spot in the Karana connected to Qeynos Hills that just inside the river if you ran through it would port you to the entrance of the Qeynos Hills. In the Bazaar casting raid wide teleport on people in trading mode would get disconnected creating space to be able to go trader yourself. We used to get fuck loads of AA points with Torrid using his dain hammer spam with a bard in tow for selo's as he kited 1 side of plane of fire at a time past me and another wizard as we ae'd them down never stealing aggro because of the hammer spam. When death was imminent spamming your manastone in hopes of it getting the killing blow so you wouldn't lose experience.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Spoken like an engineer.

A lawyer would know a lot of IP is protected by trade secret and just a patent wouldn't be enough =p