sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Monster Hunter (2020)

Genre: Fantasy, Action, Adventure

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson

Cast: Milla Jovovich, T.I., Ron Perlman, Diego Boneta, Tony Jaa

Release: 2020-09-03

Plot: Behind our world, there is another — a world of dangerous and powerful monsters that rule their domain with deadly ferocity. When Lt. Artemis and her loyal soldiers are transported from our world to the new world, the unflappable lieutenant receives the shock of her life. In her desperate battle for survival against enormous enemies with incredible powers and unstoppable, terrifying attacks, Artemis will team up with a mysterious man who has found a way to fight back.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't see a thread for this in search. Doesn't look like there's a trailer up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Well, we got two good game-based movies with Pikachu and Sonic, so I guess we were kinda due for this.

And really, Jovovich's character is named Lt. Artemis? Going nice and subtle here; was 'Hunter McHunterlady' not available for some reason?

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I love how they roped Toho into this.

"THERES FUCKING KAIJU AND THEY KILL AND SKIN THEM!"

"Sure, we're in for 20 million."

That said, Monster Hunter, while an amazing series, is known for having absolutely zero going in the story department. So all they need to do with this movie is have it be heavy CGI fights, and turning monster asses into weapons and armor, and they pretty much succeed in their goals.

Cybsled

That's probably why the plot is "real life people in monster hunter world". Pretty much writes itself.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is going to be so bad.

Also you'd think police/military or whatever they are would pick light/heavy bowguns as their weapons if they were put into a monster hunter world. Why would they bother with swords and shit when they can just fire at stuff. Hell everyone just get HBG clusters and drown the monsters in explosions, maybe add some idiot playing the flute while drinking beer and potions in a corner. Now you have both a realistic approach and one true to the game.

Seems like a big waste of money, not sure they're gonna sell a whole lot of that the IP isn't even that big and it's certainly not one of these IP that permeated the normal culture or can be adapted easily(like the Witcher series).

Also the greatsword is too small. It'd need to be like twice that size.

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Her outfit reminds me of Resident Evil.

Could have been a movie or atleast a tv show about a plucky band of adventurers and hunters looking to make fortune and carve out a reputation by what else...hunting monsters.

No instead it's gonna be about Milla kicking all sorts of asses of monsters 100x her size and I have a feeling Tony is gonna be a secondary character here, totally wasted.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Trailer was cut really well.

Interested to see how Clifford Harris does in his role. Don't believe he's done serious action before. Guess he's being credited as "T.I." here.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This looks just like a Resident Evil movie;

Terrible everything.
Cheesy script, actions, writing, and dialogue delivery.
Stupid everything.

...I'm in. I... like the live action RE movies, I know they are terrible but... I just can't help myself.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ummmmm, maybe? I think I'll google the budget before deciding.

• 1Worf

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Oh man, I love me some Milla but this is going to blow so bad.

I read either one or two fantasy books as a kid where a BMP or something was teleported from a modern war into a fantasy setting and they fought the big bad guy and his army. This reeks of that a bit, but clearly Milla becomes a "Monster Hunter" with the weaponry and such.

Resident Evil movies are a bit of background guilty pleasure watches for me, but this is going to be pandering trash trying to cash in on a vidya game.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This will be dumb fun.

It better have a hunting horn in it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh man, I love me some Milla but this is going to blow so bad.

I read either one or two fantasy books as a kid where a BMP or something was teleported from a modern war into a fantasy setting and they fought the big bad guy and his army. This reeks of that a bit, but clearly Milla becomes a "Monster Hunter" with the weaponry and such.

Resident Evil movies are a bit of background guilty pleasure watches for me, but this is going to be pandering trash trying to cash in on a vidya game.
Pretty sure you are talking about these, which were awesome when I read them (no idea how well they hold up, haven't read them since the 80s).

I'll happily watch this movie on video. If the theater would let me sit there without wearing a mask, I'd consider going to the theaters just to go, but I know that won't happen by December.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database