Monster Hunter (2020)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, if you've played the MH games it is like Void said, the set pieces were really cool. The ship, base, Palico, general look of the Hunter, and even Diablos and Rathalos, etc. It was really cool to see. But damn if the rest wasn't complete trash. Pretty hard to watch and drug on way too long in parts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why'd they make it an isekai? Isn't MH just a normal fantasy world?
Yeah; it's very much a "we kill monsters because that's what we do; we have an entire industry base built around it." kind of thing, vs. "OH shiiiiii we don't know about monsters lawl ok we got tanks tho k?"

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The thing that always bothers me about movies like this (well, obviously not the only thing, but the one "real life" thing) is how magical creatures just shrug off modern ordinance. Yes, I know, "magic"...but dragons probably aren't any more dense than a tank or a battleship hull, even with magical assistance, and we have shit that can punch holes in those. I can sort of give a pass to something as massive as Godzilla because he's fucking huge and feeds on radiation (and he's Godzilla), and even small arms fire I suppose on "normal" monsters, but a sabot round should go right fucking through the belly scales of something like a Rathalos, and a 20mm gun (much less a 30mm A10) should just be chewing chunks out of its hide. Hell, the .50 cal should be tearing up the Diablos at least a little bit.

• 1Picard

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The thing that always bothers me about movies like this (well, obviously not the only thing, but the one "real life" thing) is how magical creatures just shrug off modern ordinance. Yes, I know, "magic"...but dragons probably aren't any more dense than a tank or a battleship hull, even with magical assistance, and we have shit that can punch holes in those. I can sort of give a pass to something as massive as Godzilla because he's fucking huge and feeds on radiation (and he's Godzilla), and even small arms fire I suppose on "normal" monsters, but a sabot round should go right fucking through the belly scales of something like a Rathalos, and a 20mm gun (much less a 30mm A10) should just be chewing chunks out of its hide. Hell, the .50 cal should be tearing up the Diablos at least a little bit.
Magical Beasts arent something that we have in the wild, so it's not like we can really explain it. But if you want something based in reality Ill try my best. If the tensile strength of the beast armor is that of Tungsten or harder, grown as a lattice in order to be flexible - then a 1980's sabot round isnt going to do much against those materials. We use Carbon Steel on tanks simply because its weight ratio and cost, which is nowhere near the mpa of Tungsten which would be extremely expensive regardless of weight. Naval ships are typically of similar strength, but theyre steel percentage varies. Now add in the lattice part, and you'll understand that its flexible and reinforced by the meat of the beast which makes absorption even more relevant. The kinetic energy will dissipate through the beast with relative ease in comparison to a solid armor a tank has. A BMG round for example would/should stun this theoretical beast and quite honestly knock it back - but we can only assume that it would be a bad bruise from one round. Add in whatever other magical properties you want to instill and you have your impenetrable beast that needs to be worn down. Regeneration, reverse polarization, frequency disruptor etc.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I mean...why do you think you fashion weapons and armor out of the monsters themselves instead of just making bigger bullets.

It's a silly debate because it's not like monster hunter follows known physics anyway. There is a certain point where the size of a monster becomes its own death sentence. Crabs are a real world example of this in that they CAN continue to grow infinitely, but the larger they grow the harder it becomes to survive. The amount of energy it takes for them to get out of their she'll and make a new one is too great. They can't eat enough energy and end up being crushed to death in their own shell.

With these giant monsters, they would end up being in conservation mode 100% of the time and would eventually starve to death because they just couldn't get enough energy to move.

But none of that is "fun" so, you know, we don't pay attention to it.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Magical Beasts arent something that we have in the wild, so it's not like we can really explain it. But if you want something based in reality Ill try my best. If the tensile strength of the beast armor is that of Tungsten or harder, grown as a lattice in order to be flexible - then a 1980's sabot round isnt going to do much against those materials. We use Carbon Steel on tanks simply because its weight ratio and cost, which is nowhere near the mpa of Tungsten which would be extremely expensive regardless of weight. Naval ships are typically of similar strength, but theyre steel percentage varies. Now add in the lattice part, and you'll understand that its flexible and reinforced by the meat of the beast which makes absorption even more relevant. The kinetic energy will dissipate through the beast with relative ease in comparison to a solid armor a tank has. A BMG round for example would/should stun this theoretical beast and quite honestly knock it back - but we can only assume that it would be a bad bruise from one round. Add in whatever other magical properties you want to instill and you have your impenetrable beast that needs to be worn down. Regeneration, reverse polarization, frequency disruptor etc.
I get the silliness of arguing this sort of thing, but since we're doing it, might as well continue. I enjoy these kinds of hypotheticals.

You made an assumption right off the bat about beast armor being at least as hard as tungsten. I could maybe agree with that assumption if we're talking about some kind of giant turtle monster's shell, but there are very few real life creatures that have skin that is what we'd consider "tough" to that degree. Yes, I know, magic creatures. But there isn't a very long list of creatures alive today that could shrug off a .22 without at least a little damage. Now shoot it 100 times with that .22 and you probably kill most things, or at least wound them so badly they stop trying to eat you. And the creatures that could survive that sort of attack the best would do it more with loose skin and fat layers than armored hide, like say a bear.

But a .22 is a far cry from something like even a 7.62, let alone a .50 or 20mm or higher gun. Those weapons are designed to tear shit up, being particularly good at tearing up flesh. So unless the creature is completely invulnerable to the rounds, a few are going to get inside and start tumbling around and wrecking things that shouldn't be wrecked. And a sabot round is literally a rod of high density material designed to penetrate heavy armor via inertia. Even if the sabot round and the armor are made out of the same material, the sabot has a fuckton of velocity behind it, so the armor has to be much denser to just shrug it off. So again, maybe a turtle monster, but that's gotta be some powerful magic if it is that thick on a flying creature or one capable of running/burrowing really fast (Rathalos and Diablos).

Yes, no one can win this argument because magic. I understand that. But it still bothers me, because to me it is pretty lazy for them to make literally every type of modern munition worthless against them (unless you shoot it in their mouth obvs). Let them tear a few up with their guns like it should be, maybe even kill a Diablos with them. But then they run out of ammo and a second one appears, so they're fucked. Don't just make all that shit worthless, but a bone sword (how do you even sharpen that shit if it is that strong to begin with?? do you have to kill a stronger monster to sharpen this monster's parts?) works no problem.

EDIT: Btw, for those that haven't watched it yet, this conversation was more entertaining to me than most of the movie.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
1613788973980.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Worst movie i have seen in years.

Really bad, even for a movie made about a video game..

• 1Like

Daidraco

I would have rather the Warcraft movie been an animated feature by their own Cinematics department. But even then, I dont think Ive ever watched a Game to Movie ever have a good enough story to care about. This one was no different, just fan service to the fan boys.

• 1Solidarity

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Haven't seen it yet but had to be better than WW84 right?

• 1Like

Daidraco

I dont think anyone expected a Game > Movie adaptation to be more than mediocre at best.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I would have rather the Warcraft movie been an animated feature by their own Cinematics department. But even then, I dont think Ive ever watched a Game to Movie ever have a good enough story to care about. This one was no different, just fan service to the fan boys.
Detective Pikachu was actually all right. But that is 99% Ryan Reynolds.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Shmoopy

It's better than the worst Resident Evil movies. Super campy / cheesy. Way too obviously video game turned movie.

Entertaining though. Way above the Uwe Boll stuff like Bloodrayne. Competently produced at least.

8 year old nephew was laughing / cringing at the hibachi chef cat.

Last edited:

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holy shit this movie is bad.

The monsters and weapons look good. That's it.

Shut it off 2/3rd of the way through.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this last night, absolutely horrible, I don’t know how I manage to watch it all.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was the same way. I got through about 2/3's of the movie and even the special effects could not hold my interest. There was a time when the special effects could over ride a shit acted/written movie. That time has passed.

• 1Solidarity