Monster Hunter: World

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yep. Most of not all of us saw the writing on the wall for the very first monster hunter PC game. I’m sure they will patch it all up. Console versions were fantastic though.

That Denovo shit though. How the fuck is that company still in business.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am not shocked at all that the port has a lot of problems lol. The only real comparison you should be doing is whether or not this port is better than the third party ports Capcom usually does. This one was all done in house as far as I know.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Hey...Go kill the hardest boss on the island real quick! But we are going to make this shit suuuuuuper hard. Hers's some mini bosses to boot. They will keep fuckin with you!

Turf War.jpg

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey...Go kill the hardest boss on the island real quick! But we are going to make this shit suuuuuuper hard. Hers's some mini bosses to boot. They will keep fuckin with you!

View attachment 173349
Just wait... you'll be seeing a very annoying party crasher soon enough. =)

The network issues are really random, since my last post I've only had one session dc (and I'm not using the Reddit "fix"). Game gets so addicting once you open up High Rank and Elders Recess. I hope people who are ambivalent about the game currently can give it a bit of time, I fully expect I'll be putting in looots of hours into this PC version. Have a lot of fun stuff to look forward too.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
fucking denuvo can licks my nuts, I haven't had any problems(other then Denuvo spiking out my CPU cycles(I think, they have gotten pretty good at hiding the Process ID so it's hard to tell what is causing it)) I get a little bit of stutter in the middle of Ancient Forest but very minimal, even with both Rath's and full party..

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Just wait... you'll be seeing a very annoying party crasher soon enough. =)

The network issues are really random, since my last post I've only had one session dc (and I'm not using the Reddit "fix"). Game gets so addicting once you open up High Rank and Elders Recess. I hope people who are ambivalent about the game currently can give it a bit of time, I fully expect I'll be putting in looots of hours into this PC version. Have a lot of fun stuff to look forward too.

Yeah, I will give it a pretty good chance. You guys seem so hyped on the console version, I pretty much have to!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Other fuckers can often help you during fights if you position so they eat each other. Otherwise you can use dung, if you shoot at the annoying fuck enough with it, it should move to another area and you can resume fighting.

It's annoying that the stupid skull indicator for when shit's able to be capture is so unreliable. There's also the breaking parts count thing but I feel sometimes it just doesn't happen either, I was farming Diablos to upgrade my weapon and couldn't get the fucker captured either time. One time though I was still trying to level the trap cat gadget but this fucker just shock trap too much so it didn't last long enough, and then Diablos just did his underground charge shit onto my trap and apparently that destroys it. Eventually got the fangs I needed though and now switched to level another gadget, the trap one is 5 which is "good enough" for now, can't be assed getting it to 10 it feels kinda shit. It's hard not using the healing one, that one's so good. At least it seems it levels faster the 2nd time around.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Dumb questions...

HTF do I get items on my damn hotbar in the bottom right of the screen?

Can I give my cat orders? Like he heals me great, but I want him to lay traps lets say.

Can I add poisons and shit to my lance? I have a metric fuckton of crap in my bank I want to use. How I even make traps?

How I swap ammo?

Now that I figured out how the Lancers move (Block Block. Combo. Block Block...turn. Block some fuckin more. Combo his tail etc)...I'm pretty much just farming monsters now. How do I actually capture them? I read Pyros above, and didn't know there was a benefit? Why would I capture and not kill?

Is jumping off shit the only way to mount? It hits so light is it even worth positioning for mounting?

Speaking of positioning...can I get monsters to me without whacking em in the head and running where I want to fight? Lures?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bottom right bar can be edited. It should display everything you have that can be used though, editing is just useful to move the order they're displayed in.

You get cat orders for some of the gadgets once you reach a sufficient level. For the healing one, at 5 and 10 you get order, 5 he brings a healing thing to you, 10 he drops a healing trap thing. That's separate cooldowns from his own skills that he uses. If you want actual traps, not the heal stuff, you'll need to give him another gadget. When you do the sidequests in each zone from the old man that studies the different cat tribes, they reward you with gadgets to equip on your cat, which changes his abilities. The 2nd one lets him lay down flash orbs, and eventually shock traps, the 3rd one gives him a taunting shield and let him charge into monsters for high KO damage etc.

You can't add stuff to your weapons, but there's a lot of consumables you can use for various things. Just open the crafting thing. For traps, you need to buy trap kits or whatever from the vendor, or you get some for free in quests where you have to capture things, which you can reset to get free trap kits over and over if you don't want to spend money. Combine with items to make various traps.

Ammo is up/down, or the radial menu.

Capture saves you time mostly. You can capture monsters when they're low(under 20% I think?), so you don't have to do those last 20% yourself. You get the same materials and don't have to carve the monster either, plus the countdown is only 20secs. To capture, you need 2things, hit the monster with 2 tranq bombs(or tranq shots if you have a ranged weapon), and shock trap or pitfall trap them. Can be done in any order, however tranq bombs do decay over time I think so you don't open the fight with them and expect to capture 5mins later. Generally is easier to trap first, then bomb the monster when he's immobilized.

Jumping attakcs are the only one that cause mount damage to accumulate yeah. Depending on the weapon, it's not so bad, it's mostly good for multiplayer though I think, because a successful mount gets the monster on the ground for everyone to hit.

Finally for pulling there's a video on like, last page or something showing it. You can use flash or scream shots on your arm thing to pull stuff. You can use rocks if you don't have these, works well enough although range isn't as good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Trapping shit is annoying as fuck. Doing an easy Trap Kulu-Ya-Nu , and I've ended up killing him over and over again. Or if I don't kill him I didn't restock tranq bombs, or traps. It's been an annoying fucking quest, but guess this is the learning curve for trapping stuff. Last few times, I thought I had him, but I'd trap him, and then tranq bomb him twice, and he wouldn't trap, so I guess he had healed when back at his lair that I didn't notice. Then a few times after that, thinking he healed, I ended up killing him. Ugh.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Just wait until they head back to their nest or whatever and fall asleep. Drop trap on top of them while they are asleep and you can't miss.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Preface, I played MH2 a ton on the Wii, but haven't touched it until MHW released on PC.

I had to update my graphics driver to be able to even load the game, but I haven't really had any other technical issues. The grouping works fine if convoluted, but you seem to be fairly isolated on the actual assigned quests until you finish them yourself first, and also limits your grouping potential to the lowest common denominator (can't bring someone in to kill an elder dragon if they haven't passed the appropriate quest themselves). Seems a lot is solo, but grouping helps significantly in farming to max out for your best gear to pass that next solo encounter. This can be frustrating for friends who want to go at it entirely as a group. Not that I'm opposed to that, it kinna forces them to figure shit out. Hell, I'm still figuring shit out, as there's a ton of nuance compare to previous iterations.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That said, am I the only asshole focusing on insect glaive? It took me three days to figure out how to pick up my three buffs before slashing and dashing, mounting, and bring shit down. Any specifics I need to know on how to better mount, and what to do when mounted? Like stamina control, staying mounted, doing optimum damage, and ensuring the monster drops?

Mind you I'm barely level 5...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
PC performance for me is pretty good. GTX 970, I7-4799K. I gave up on mouse/kb pretty early on. Gamepad is fine, but I'll probably try to do mouse/kb if I ever try a ranged weapon.

I'm HR5, using charge blade, just beat the T-Rex. So far the game is pretty easy, but I feel like the game is putting kid gloves on all the mobs, stuff just doesn't do much damage and the enemies kind of wander around and attack randomly. The gameplay is so similar to Dark Souls I'm expecting to die everytime I fuck up, and instead the monsters just kind of flail around.

Anyway, I'm rushing the main quest line and there's a ton of optional quests that are starting to pile up:
Quests List

Should I just be doing all of these? Or are there some specific chef missions I should be doing to get that elite food?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
PC performance for me is pretty good. GTX 970, I7-4799K. I gave up on mouse/kb pretty early on. Gamepad is fine, but I'll probably try to do mouse/kb if I ever try a ranged weapon.

I'm HR5, using charge blade, just beat the T-Rex. So far the game is pretty easy, but I feel like the game is putting kid gloves on all the mobs, stuff just doesn't do much damage and the enemies kind of wander around and attack randomly. The gameplay is so similar to Dark Souls I'm expecting to die everytime I fuck up, and instead the monsters just kind of flail around.

Anyway, I'm rushing the main quest line and there's a ton of optional quests that are starting to pile up:
Quests List

Should I just be doing all of these? Or are there some specific chef missions I should be doing to get that elite food?

Yes do all optional.

Kid gloves feel may be due to it attacking your palico instead of you, also shields have added defense and early on that +10 is huge.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Quests List

Generally speaking, the "Assigned" version of a mob is the easiest version of it you'll face, that T-Rex you just killed is probably going to surprise you later on, and it is always funny seeing people fight HR Tobi for the first time "wait, what? how did that kill me?". =)

Optional quests will open up other optionals, and eventually unlock all the Mantles (very very good items).

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Trapping shit is annoying as fuck. Doing an easy Trap Kulu-Ya-Nu , and I've ended up killing him over and over again. Or if I don't kill him I didn't restock tranq bombs, or traps. It's been an annoying fucking quest, but guess this is the learning curve for trapping stuff. Last few times, I thought I had him, but I'd trap him, and then tranq bomb him twice, and he wouldn't trap, so I guess he had healed when back at his lair that I didn't notice. Then a few times after that, thinking he healed, I ended up killing him. Ugh.

The trick is the red glowing slinger ammo that drops from monsters. One will drop at 30%, 20%, etc. Monsters can be captured at 25% so you will know you can do it when the second one drops. Knowing this makes it much easier as you can avoid the final run sequence / limping stage.

There are some monsters with large health pools (Jho) that does not 100% apply to. His health pool only allows trapping ~<20%.

It is strange that you were not able to capture a sleeping/healing monster. The heal is very minor and would take a long time to gain the ~5% health back to be outside of capture range.

• 1Like

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Generally speaking, the "Assigned" version of a mob is the easiest version of it you'll face, that T-Rex you just killed is probably going to surprise you later on, and it is always funny seeing people fight HR Tobi for the first time "wait, what? how did that kill me?". =)

Optional quests will open up other optionals, and eventually unlock all the Mantles (very very good items).

To piggy back onto this, once you get to high rank monsters make sure you capture every monster at least once. This will open the arena quests for most monsters and if you do the high rank version it gives you both the normal and HR versions of the optional quests.