Monster Hunter: World

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That said, am I the only asshole focusing on insect glaive? It took me three days to figure out how to pick up my three buffs before slashing and dashing, mounting, and bring shit down. Any specifics I need to know on how to better mount, and what to do when mounted? Like stamina control, staying mounted, doing optimum damage, and ensuring the monster drops?

Mind you I'm barely level 5...
I switched from Dual Blades which was great but felt a bit boring and easy to Insect Glaive. Liking it so far, although I switched to a bone version and god is the sharpness awful on this shit, breaks way too fucking fast.

There's basic video guides that you probably want to check out for weapons when you grab one, like Arekkz and gaijin hunter have good ones. I liked this one
For mounting, it's honestly not that great solo, but if you do play multiplayer it seems pretty nice. Basically how it works is after you've hit the monster a certain number of times with your 1dmg attack, it'll fall over and you get damage. You have 3 things you can do while mounted(well 3 useful one, I assume one button lets you dismount but I've never checked which one). Press attack to use your little knife shit and do 1dmg which accumulates until you can do a special attack with the same button and the monster falls, press R2 to brace, which is used when the monster tries to shake you off(there will be a prompt in the early game, otherwise look for the screen dimming and the monster often doing some noise) and you can press a direction to move on a different part of the monster, either to do damage there or to avoid when the monster tries to smash himself into a wall. You can be on head, back or tail. Once you get enough hits, you'll do a special attack and that can be used to break parts so moving to the right part is useful. As glaive, you can also break parts by just moving up and down the monster, because moving around does damage. If you get shook off, you can slinger your way back onto the monster by pressing R2 or Circle as long as you still have stamina.

For the most part early game you just mount, then mash Y/Triangle just checking the prompts for R2/moving around, and once the monster is down you do damage. Your kinsect buffs are frozen while mounted so you won't lose them either.

But mounting, and aerial attacks, are actually not really that good for Insect Glaive. The video guides emphasize that, you do a lot more damage on the ground. Jumping around is fun, and useful in some situations(you want to get a mount, enemy is flying, you can dodge stuff, need to reposition etc) but if you're just spamming jumps you're doing a lot less damage than you could.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Definitely do a lot more damage on the ground, but in a group mounting and cowboy'ing to the ground has been pretty darn effective, especially when it means avoiding being interrupted or interrupting teammate attacks. Good tips otherwise.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Trapping shit is annoying as fuck. Doing an easy Trap Kulu-Ya-Nu , and I've ended up killing him over and over again. Or if I don't kill him I didn't restock tranq bombs, or traps. It's been an annoying fucking quest, but guess this is the learning curve for trapping stuff. Last few times, I thought I had him, but I'd trap him, and then tranq bomb him twice, and he wouldn't trap, so I guess he had healed when back at his lair that I didn't notice. Then a few times after that, thinking he healed, I ended up killing him. Ugh.

Make sure to go back to the research guy and get more stars for your monster book. This will give you a skull indicator on his minimap icon indicating a monster is near death and trappable. If you don't have that whenever he fucks off to go to sleep you can usually trap it then.

The only way to gain stars in your monster book is to talk to the guy on the stack of books after you've got a bunch of research points.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've learned not to trust the UI indicators, even if there is a skull, when it comes to trapping. If its not sleeping in its nest, I'm not laying down a trap.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've not learned not to trust the UI indicators, even if there is a skull, when it comes to trapping. If its not sleeping in its nest, I'm not laying down a trap.

What? It's 100% reliable on PS4. This another PC bug?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What? It's 100% reliable on PS4. This another PC bug?
I haven't seen a monster not get captured if it had a skull, but I've killed a bunch which never had a skull on them. I've also trapped sleeping monsters which didn't get captured, so the skull icon tends to be more reliable in my experience.

Really enjoying glaive, even though I had big sharpness issues when I switched. Fixed that somewhat by crafting some zora magdaros stuff, the helm and the handicraft charm, which give me 2handicraft, not the biggest change but enough to not have to resharpen midfight constantly and instead sharpen only when the monster moves around. Also crafted some bone thing that gives +2sharpening speed, makes sharpening actually rather fast, so it's not as much of an issue. Sometimes getting the right buffs is a bit of a bitch but should get better as I get faster kinsects but I like having some ranged options and some cool melee combos and lots of mobility. Feels kinda like dual blades, but less cheesy/boring.

skylan

Trakanon Raider
I'm assuming theres mo pc discount if you own the ps4 version? Was surprised to see the steam ratings so low.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
That said, am I the only asshole focusing on insect glaive? It took me three days to figure out how to pick up my three buffs before slashing and dashing, mounting, and bring shit down. Any specifics I need to know on how to better mount, and what to do when mounted? Like stamina control, staying mounted, doing optimum damage, and ensuring the monster drops?

Mind you I'm barely level 5...

Did my entire run on the PS4 with the glaive. Maybe 10 or so hunts with other things and 100+ with glaive (only reached HR40ish?).

- For the insect, go speed stat above all. Makes it much easier to get the three buffs. For the insect ability, I'd say the explosive effect is best for the extra damage. After you have gotten the three buffs, for best use of the explosive effect aim the glaive and shoot at either the head (for horns and possible stun) or tail. Then just leave the insect out letting it hit that spot over and over leaving explosive clouds that trigger when hit.

- For mounting, not much to know. If you or another player have just been on the mob, I think it gets a resist on it that lasts for a bit. I've never been able to land two mounts right after each other. Like Pyros said: R2 when you see the mob about to shake (consumes stamina). Or if you see the mob is about to either crash its head or tail into a wall, use the L stick to move away from the part being smashed. That way you won't fall off. If the tail isn't cut off yet, I usually try to be on that for the stabs.

- When mob has been mounted recently, better DPS to stay on the ground. Lose quite a bit of DPS jumping around, however, if a mob is enraged, doing some dps while not being hit is better than being still on the ground spamming potions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
It looks like people are pissed about multiplayer and typical port issues.

Im still fairly low rank but I havent had any issues. The game lagged a tiny bit when XenoJiva came out of the egg, other than that ive been fine. Im running my 55in TV streaming twitch on the same PC also.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah started seeing him too, was doing an Anjanath hunt and he kept popping up, then Anjanath would run away like a little bitch, I'd follow him, and then fatty mc fat would pop down again and make Anjanath run away. Took a while to finish it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I tried out the Hunters Horn, and I like that a lot. I think I'd probably like the fight style of the Hammer as well, but I like the idea of being support with these buffs. I'm terrible at them right now, but will get better. I did one attack that blasted the monster for like 4x25 but I have no idea how I did it.

In your training room is there a way to cycle through different attacks? It only shows me 3.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I just watched the hunting horn guide video thing earlier today since I was thinking about it, it does look pretty cool, like a non shitty hammer tbh, and the songs look pretty OP even for solo play.

There's not many attacks for the hunting horn though. There's a bunch of holding back while doing something to get another hit, and the big hit is when you do an encore, which is play a song then play the same song again right after, the encore does devastating damage so that was probably that. I think you just R2 again, or hold it not sure, it'll do a bunch of powerful attacks then play the same song again(so it maxes it at lvl 2).

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Hammer is life! Spin to win, or learn how to face smash on all hits and keep it knocked down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user