Monster Hunter: World

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks. Kind of rage quit the double Bazel fight last night. Switch Axe is just horrible for that always stuck in an animation if I want to do more then just poke the thing. Twice I got the first one down only to get one shot by the second one on a roar/bomb combo. Got a T8 Piercing HBG I'm going to try it with tomorrow. Hopefully then I can start farming Special Investigations for decorations.
If you can, use a Thunder element weapon, Bagel is 3* weak to it across its entire body.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bagel is annoying as shit as melee. With Insect Glaive it's not AS bad because I can do some range pokes and stuff, but on the flipside I can't fucking figure out how to get orange buff reliably, so no super armor/earplugs/5% defense buff which sucks.

For the double tempered Bagel what I did is mostly sit back. It took a while, I just literally sat there and watched them kill each other, with the cat throwing molotov at them every now and then and using my kinsect on their tails to cut it.

As melee, your first priority should always to cut the tail. It reduces the amount of bombs it can drop by like half, and make everything besides the head relatively safe to stand(there's still some bomb pods at the base of the tail, but not many. The 2nd thing is don't bother going in when it's glowing. If your weapon has good reach, you can poke him from afar, but when he's glowing, his bombs detonate way too fast so if one drops at your feet while you hit him, there's a good chance you're getting hit, which can lead to death on tempered(or instant death if it's more than one).

Pokes on the tail is how you cut it, I don't know much about the switch axe but iirc it has some relatively fast long reach single moves, it isn't slow as shit like the greatsword. As IG, I use the forward+triangle attack which is just a small thrust, doesn't do big damage, but it has long reach and is very quick, so I can poke the tail then roll the fuck away like a pussy. Repeat everytime he does a stupid charge or whatever, just one hit, roll away then run like a pussy. When he's not glowing, can go a little bit more ham, but still no long animation shit. Also vitality mantle before you go in is good. Affinity booster when you get a chance to do damage(like if he gets fucked by a Rathalos or whatever else is in the area). I think fire mantle might be good too but not 100% sure if it works on the explosions or just the burning damage.

Once the tail is cut, you can kinda wail on the legs relatively safely, and Bazel has terrible defenses and basically no heavy armored place, so even though legs aren't a weakpoint, he'll still take a lot of damage. When he goes down from a KO or whatever, I still prefer attacking where the tail was which is still a weak point, than go towards the head in case bombs drop around his face.

I'm sure there's better, faster ways to deal with tempered bazel(other than just playing a ranged weapon obviously) but I'll take my 20mins hunt over carting 15secs into the fight because I hit it too hard and it dropped 12bombs mid animation.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks. Kind of rage quit the double Bazel fight last night. Switch Axe is just horrible for that always stuck in an animation if I want to do more then just poke the thing. Twice I got the first one down only to get one shot by the second one on a roar/bomb combo. Got a T8 Piercing HBG I'm going to try it with tomorrow. Hopefully then I can start farming Special Investigations for decorations.

Use fire res 3 + Ele Res (L) Food and it makes his bombs barely tickle as melee. Same thing for when you get to the unicorn just light res.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Use fire res 3 + Ele Res (L) Food and it makes his bombs barely tickle as melee. Same thing for when you get to the unicorn just light res.
Yea, for Kirin, I have 2 thunder resist, Vitality Mantle, and Thunderproof Mantle.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One of the things I'm struggling with is when I try to find videos of people slaying monsters I'm on to see how it's done properly and get new ideas on how to improve my game, it seems like most videos either feature dudes who are as new to the game as I am, or are overgeared, or are top-level and showcase a kill sequence that I'm not yet capable of.

One thing I found both entertaining and informative about Dark Souls videos is when people would show up to a boss undergeared and beat it through technically precise and defensive gameplay.

Ex: I'm on Kirin now and am finding it difficult to time my attacks and find reliable openings. I find videos like this:

Where the player is playing better than I am, but is largely just fighting through damage that reduces 15% of their health but would reduce 50% of mine.

Or videos like this where the player is more mediocre, but even more overgeared for the encounter.

Is there a category of videos I can find where players try to show off by beating bosses with minimal gear? Or is that retarded because this is a grinding game?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
One of the things I'm struggling with is when I try to find videos of people slaying monsters I'm on to see how it's done properly and get new ideas on how to improve my game, it seems like most videos either feature dudes who are as new to the game as I am, or are overgeared, or are top-level and showcase a kill sequence that I'm not yet capable of.

One thing I found both entertaining and informative about Dark Souls videos is when people would show up to a boss undergeared and beat it through technically precise and defensive gameplay.

Ex: I'm on Kirin now and am finding it difficult to time my attacks and find reliable openings. I find videos like this:

Where the player is playing better than I am, but is largely just fighting through damage that reduces 15% of their health but would reduce 50% of mine.

Or videos like this where the player is more mediocre, but even more overgeared for the encounter.

Is there a category of videos I can find where players try to show off by beating bosses with minimal gear? Or is that retarded because this is a grinding game?

Here is what you should watch.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Are you doing low rank Kirin or the high rank one? Because most videos are gonna be of the high rank/tempered, so they have killed the LR and gotten the thunder mantle already. That's why they don't take damage, if you have thunder mantle and some lightning res deco/armor, you take very little damage for 2mins(or whatever the mantle duration is). Then you can use vitality or whatever to soak up damage while thunder one comes back off cooldown.

A lot of the endgame videos are about using some mantles to ignore mechanics(rocksteady, temporal, resist based, sometimes vitality or impact depending on target) and dump a lot of damage into shit quickly to kill them/put them low before they actually have to play. Not that they can't do it the normal way, but most people posting videos are going to be sort of speedkills not very representative of how you kill the mobs otherwise.

For Kirin it's mostly about punishing some of his attacks(front lightning, multiple lightnings around him but not in melee range, back hoof attack) when he does them, and otherwise just being careful about the lightning on top of himself and the charges. Also when he buffs up with lightning skin, you want to hit the head, although I guess charge blade can just hit the body fine if you charge your weapon. Get some lightning decoration/gear if you can fit it, helps a fair bit, fire weapon too he's weak to it. And dispel the lightning blight whenever you get it, shit's an instant kill if you get hit again with it on. Also helps if you have an elderseal weapon to reduce his lightning phase bullshit, but that's basically only for HR/tempered version(and for tempered he can kinda spam it anyway so it's not that good).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here is what you should watch.

Thanks for the vid, it summarizes the basics well, but also serves as an example for what i mean by an overgeared play running a train on a mob. Barroth is obviously a super easy mob in general, but i think itd be more instructional to see him kill it with the starter charge blade and starter armor ( or naked) and narrate his actions instead of beating it with brute force.

Not to belabor the point, im looking for the mhw version of dominating a monster with a wooden stick.

Im not really critiquing one of the most popular mhw content producers, im just wondering if anyone makes those kinds of videos.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just wondering since I noticed "Steam Release Item Pack" listed in the login rewards, did we get claim that automatically when we first logged in to the game?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Just wondering since I noticed "Steam Release Item Pack" listed in the login rewards, did we get claim that automatically when we first logged in to the game?

I believe that's the pack that contains 50 mega potions in it, among other things.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You have to claim it in your house, talk to the cat, there's a DLC option thing, claim it there. Gave a bunch of ammo and other crap I forgot.

Is there a good way to keep getting tempered investigations? I can run around various places to farm the marks in expeditions but it's pretty tedious. It seems fighting a tempered monster doesn't really yield a bunch of investigations like I thought it'd do. I guess I have to keep trying until I get Diablos or Black Diablos then afk and pick up their marks after 40mins or whatever, and repeat that a bunch of time to build a pool of investigations? Then do the same with Kirin once I'm high HR enough for elder dragons? I've seen people mention these things but not sure if it's from early in the game and they patched stuff differently or not.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So other than fully augmenting my weapons I'm pretty much done with everything except the good ol monster grind. Have all the mantles, Palico abilities, fully upgraded all elements and a break weapon/armor sets. I have all the Poogie costumes and 97/102 food ingredients. Just got the rainbow pigment just now.

It was this point on PS4 that my interest waned a bit so hopefully the PC version holds my attention until DLC. Still gonna farm for the augment stuff and play with friends just for fun though. Edit: Oh and a few more decorations to farm, but I'm surprisingly close to having all the ones I need.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm still testing weapons around. Just checked Charge Blade which I didn't really want to check because it looked needlessly complicated and every guide and mention of it is how it's "the most complex weapon", and it kinda is, but it's really strong. It's fairly simple too, there's just a lot of buttons to press to do before you can "play" the weapon, but once you have your shit charged up the gameplay is actually pretty straightforward, the basic sword combos are simple and flow very well especially with the slide slash to reposition and once you have an opening, getting the big hit out is pretty simple. And it's a lot easier to land the big charged attack than greatsword one in my opinion, comes out faster and don't have to be charging for a year/go through a bunch of moves before you can even start charging.

As a result, the damage it does seems way over the top considering. I crafted a basic bone one to check it out, apparently it's not shown on the upgrade screen but you can't downgrade it(no border around it, guess it's a bug), and was wrecking stuff pretty easily after I figured out the buttons. Gonna make the diablos one, have to hunt some Nergigante and Black Diablos again though since I used all my mats on my Insect Glaive.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm still testing weapons around. Just checked Charge Blade which I didn't really want to check because it looked needlessly complicated and every guide and mention of it is how it's "the most complex weapon", and it kinda is, but it's really strong. It's fairly simple too, there's just a lot of buttons to press to do before you can "play" the weapon, but once you have your shit charged up the gameplay is actually pretty straightforward, the basic sword combos are simple and flow very well especially with the slide slash to reposition and once you have an opening, getting the big hit out is pretty simple. And it's a lot easier to land the big charged attack than greatsword one in my opinion, comes out faster and don't have to be charging for a year/go through a bunch of moves before you can even start charging.

As a result, the damage it does seems way over the top considering. I crafted a basic bone one to check it out, apparently it's not shown on the upgrade screen but you can't downgrade it(no border around it, guess it's a bug), and was wrecking stuff pretty easily after I figured out the buttons. Gonna make the diablos one, have to hunt some Nergigante and Black Diablos again though since I used all my mats on my Insect Glaive.
I've literally only tried the charge blade so it's the only weapon I know, but I really like it. The complex part of it is easy to overcome like you say, and the real difficulty is just timing like I assume all the other weapons are.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone happen to be having issues with MP this morning? I just get the same error whenever trying to find an SoS (even with no preference setting).