Monster Hunter: World

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Various ones. I'm just 5 hours or so in and I've been testing them all out. I think I just need to slow down inputs and make time to change facing when needed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Err sorry I didn’t think about this when I responded the first time. There is a way to target lock a monster so that it’s always the focus of your camera. I think on console it’s pressing down on both thumb sticks while targeting the monster. It’ll put a crosshair on them and focus your camera at them. It felt really restrictive when I tried it, so haven’t messed with it since. Maybe that’s what you’re looking for.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there a better way to see when an attack's animation is over so you can reorient yourself before attacking again, other than trying to stare at your character in a chaotic fight?

As pointed out not really, and animations often have a "backswing" like in dota where if you don't input anything else they take longer but if you do input another command that part of the animation is removed to combo into the other, making it more annoying to try to wait.

There are skills that let you reorient however and generally it's better to try to combo into that to reorient yourself. A bunch of the new slingshot attacks can be used to reorient yourself for example I think, provided you have ammo, and if it's dropped ammo they will also flinch the monsters so it's virtually free. Also dodge rolling can help, or if you're on a weapon with no roll, doing a side hop can help you realign. If you're just in a really shitty position, there's nothing wrong with sheathing and running back to a better spot. The fights in this game will often have "breaks" where it's better to just run around and find a better angle and timing to attack than just try to constantly mash. Part of that is due to aggro being divided between your palico(or other players) and you.

That said you will whiff attacks, I still whiff a bunch myself, it's not a big deal, even really good players will sometimes do the weeb jump on longsword and then miss the attack wasting a full bar of ressources and like 5seconds of animation lock. As you get more experienced you get a better feel for the reach of your weapon but mostly of the behaviour of the monsters so you can compensate. Also some monsters are naturally a lot more annoying to hit than others so you're kinda expected to miss a bunch of attacks on them.

As for the weapons I use and reorienting examples, HH I just sheath or run around between hits anyway it's a slow weapon and the goal is to always hit the head so it's like, hit once, then run around to wait for another opening and so on, so it's not an issue. The songs and encore moves also allow 4 directional input so it's generally easy to hit.

Lance has hops which allow "strafing" and you're allowed very slight directional adjustments every 3 hits inbetween the combos if you do hops, and during longer combos you can adjust directions with the charge attacks that you use inbetween instead otherwise power guard will let you attack in any given direction so overall it's pretty easy to switch directions if you need to.

Switch Axe there's side hops too but in sword form they're absolute shit, other than that it's just the slingshot attack that lets you reorient, but the attacks tend to be fairly wide so you don't miss that often although you'll be hitting hard parts and shit so that's not great. In sword form especially you'll often have to just stop attacking and sheath/switch back to axe since mobility is ass, both directions but also just moving anywhere.

Charge Blade as far as I remember one of the better ways was using the sliding attack to reposition and reorient at the same time when in sword form, as for axe form I haven't played the new stuff so not too sure back then you were mostly only using SAED so it was just waiting for the right opening and letting it rip.

Long sword you adjust with the fade slashes(sideways especially) and the new Iai thing lets you adjust directions from what I've seen so it should be pretty easy.

Sword and shield there's a move that lets you reorient entirely although I forgot which but it's part of the main combo so you can literally spam constantly regardless of where the monster moves if you master it properly. The jumping attack shit kinda lock you in a direction though, it's high risk high reward kind of thing.

Insect Glaive there wasn't a good way to reorient other than stopping the combo but you can use the Kinsect launch to animation cancel shit faster so you can stop and switch that way better.

Greatsword you can slightly adjust on each step of the True Great Strike during the charging part.

If you watch good players play you'll see the sort of small adjustment they make, but a lot of it generally just positonning properly in the first place so that the monster ends up in front of you as you're attacking.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I mean there's a shitton of side stuff that's really not important to do until endgame/until you want achievements. You can kinda truck along doing the main quest and maybe looking into sidequests that have interesting rewards(mantles and palico tools mostly since they make things easier). Every play session maybe you look into one new thing see how useful it is. A lot of shit is just clicking on one thing every few quests to passively generate items which is nice(especially getting honey via the cultivation stuff since honey suck dicks to farm otherwise and you need a bunch to get started early on). A lot of stuff is basically just achievement padding(crowns, piscine/wildlife research, every optional quest with no special reward, arena quests and so on).

How can you play this game and not decorate your room to perfection though?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit I had no idea randoms were so terrible, just need a few Blackveil Vaal pieces and 4 SoS later I still do... Even running a support build and chain healing them we lose.

So much this...

I got to Velkhana yesterday and play the story mostly solo (will group for farming though as it's much quicker generally for me) - I timed out! I couldn't get her patterns down immediately and was playing pretty conservatively. Said screw it I'll just join an SOS and knock it out.... what a mistake. got put into the same general group 3 times in a row and the same 2 guys kept carting/failing us.

Eventually had enough and just solo'd it in 25 minutes. Not sure what the deal was, but I can't understand these guys who don't eat, don't pot, don't put down buffs etc. Just irritating af

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So after yesterday's posts I had forgotten completely that I had max upgraded the Drachen armor that I did make and logged in to find I had no money, lol. Not only that but I had completely used up all of my health pots on behemoth. Ended the night with a 2 bone, 2 girros piece setup to go with the Crimson Viperfang that I"m one upgrade away from with Viper Tobi, Coral Puki and Nightshade Polumu all down. Felt pretty good. Now back to work unfortunately :(

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
But together a charge blade build. While it was about impossible to die because I had Guard/ Divine Protection / Guard Up/ Health Boost... I just can't live doing so little damage like that. Black Lightning Eagle does look cool AF though.

HBG or bust for quite some timeI guess. Need to start learning Greatsword.

This will also be helpful.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ugh, hbg is still best-ish? I hate that shit, trying to force myself to use it is about 80% of why I quit playing vanilla so early.

Charge Blade is frustrating the hell out of me, so I gave up on it for now. Even going back and reading my own posts about using it most effectively I can't seem to fire off SAEDs like I used to. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it doesn't want to stay in axe mode, it's like I switch and before I can do the moves leading up to SAED it switches back to sword and shield on me. I'm back to bow being the only weapon I have any success with, and I'm not even particularly close to the end of the original story........

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Luckily there are two options for Glutton type builds now. Which are actually fun to play.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ugh, hbg is still best-ish? I hate that shit, trying to force myself to use it is about 80% of why I quit playing vanilla so early.
Well currently the best speedrun weapon I think is the weird as fuck PS4 only LBG from Horizon Zero Dawn, it puts you at 1hp but does ridiculous damage if you keep the right timing. But that's really just speed running though. Even in the original HBG wasn't necessary, it made farming Kushala a lot easier for me but past that and pierce on Xeno when I was bored I barely used it. Used some LBG on Kulve too but yeah it was very specific, rest of the time I just used any weapon I felt like.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well the strength of the Zinogre HBG or the Safi'Jiva Burstcannon Glutton type builds is that you can run them with Spare Shot, Guard 5 and Guard Up while still doing 300 - 450 damage a shot. So anyone can enjoy doing good damage without having to play perfectly like Longsword, Greatsword, etc.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
My new favorite thing is flinch them off a ledge, so far it has always resulted in something breaking. Teostra gets fucked up good doing this both wings break, haven’t tried anyone else yet.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Killed Seething beetlejuice last night - am I getting close to the end of the story? Anxious to finish and start farming GL

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's after the credits. You're getting pretty close. Get ready to grind like you've never grinded before!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Grinding lands is better with friends! Mainly because all the monsters have group HP solo or not.

I am at level 6 on all of them now and I have a metric fuckton of lures from tempered investigations. So it's fine now. I am about done with the builds I want entirely so I'll be taking a break soon. Still took like 50 hours of nothing but guided lands to get to this point.

Using a ludicrous damage spread hbg build makes it a lot of fun tho! Minus that bitch Gold Rathian. Really hate that one.

It is however bullshit that you can delevel your lands by not killing the right shit.