Monster Hunter: World

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So I'm guessing this is a must buy right? Been reading all the pros but what are its cons?

It can take a while to get used to the "clunky" controls, but it's a timing thing that's been critical to every MH game. Once you get past that, it's fun, but character control for me is pretty critical, and it took me a while to forcibly get over my initial loathing of the control mechanics.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I broke down and picked this up for ps4 even though I planned on waiting for pc. Started it up and got hit with the "you need ps+". I completely forgot that was even a thing. Wah wah.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I binged until 5AM last night and finished the story up to zorah magdaros battle.

Really enjoying it so far especially the much easier ingredient farming. Normally a hammer bro, but the bow is growing on me for some monsters.

I hope the weapon trees are much more expansive though cause right now it feels tiny.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit the controls for fighting is abysmal. Gonna have to get use to it. Other than that really enjoying the game. What's a good weapon to start off with?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
As a first timer I started with dual blades and while animation lock was pretty annoying, after awhile I kind of sorta got used to it. In combat situations at least. Being stuck in a 5 second animation while waiting to use a potion or gather mats is super fucking annoying though, so I switched to bow. Solved the animation lock problem, but now every encounter seems pretty trivial. Just finished the second area, all side content included, so i'm sure difficulty ramps up.

Really enjoying the game so far, but as for Cons... no jump button in a 2018 AAA game is pathetic. I know, I know... It's one of those "just MH niche gameplay type o' things" right? Well fuck that noise! All these cool environments, I wanna skyrim hop up some of these landscapes!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Switch axe is really growing on me. Is rank 3 as high as the weapons go!? Sure hope not..... just farmed diabolos armor... for my cat!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Holy shit the controls for fighting is abysmal. Gonna have to get use to it. Other than that really enjoying the game. What's a good weapon to start off with?
See? Lol. They're really not actually bad, it just takes serious getting used to. It's not clean, or fluid, or anywhere near the bliss that was Mario 64 levels of player control, but you eventually get used to it.

Movement is fluid, action feels completely disconnected but it's all tied to timing.

Witcher has the same problem, imo.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I binged until 5AM last night and finished the story up to zorah magdaros battle.

Really enjoying it so far especially the much easier ingredient farming. Normally a hammer bro, but the bow is growing on me for some monsters.

I hope the weapon trees are much more expansive though cause right now it feels tiny.

They are, by 20 hours in you have only seen 1/3rd

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Can you master one weapon and be able to kill every monster or is it a game where certain types of weapon is better suited for certain types of monsters?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Can you master one weapon and be able to kill every monster or is it a game where certain types of weapon is better suited for certain types of monsters?

it 100% depends on your play style vs the monster, every single weapon can be used to murder every single monster..

Also Xeno'Jiiva and Vaal Hazak are re-named, "Son of Seath the Scaleless", and "Necromancer Midir"

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya, it takes awhile to get the hang of the capture system in any of the MH games, this one specifically sense they don't actually run like in previous versions...

figuring out the tells for when there exhausted is a bit rough in this game also(my group just finally capped a Lavasioth, hip-check around the world included...(I swear one of these day's there gonna fix that damn hitbox..)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a first timer I started with dual blades and while animation lock was pretty annoying, after awhile I kind of sorta got used to it. In combat situations at least. Being stuck in a 5 second animation while waiting to use a potion or gather mats is super fucking annoying though, so I switched to bow. Solved the animation lock problem, but now every encounter seems pretty trivial. Just finished the second area, all side content included, so i'm sure difficulty ramps up.

Really enjoying the game so far, but as for Cons... no jump button in a 2018 AAA game is pathetic. I know, I know... It's one of those "just MH niche gameplay type o' things" right? Well fuck that noise! All these cool environments, I wanna skyrim hop up some of these landscapes!
You can "jump" off ledges, and you can use your Slinger to get all Spiderman like through some area (look for glowing / grasping things on branches), you can also use your Slinger to latch onto the various flying drakes and take a ride.

Couple other questions for everyone; First, I wanted to upgrade my Kulu Bow I into a Kulu Bow II. Have all the materials accept for some type of Scale. The icon for it is pure white, and as of yet, I've not seen any monster with pure white icons for their various parts. Any idea? Second, I've heard/read that you can take friends/squadmates Palicos out with you on a hunt (not the wild palicos). How would you do that?

Edit: Found out about friends/squadmate Palico. Seems you need to have had them send you their Guild Card to allow their Palico's to show up in your hunts.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Man I really like the idea of the horn but holy hell the song animations are long as fuck. Does it get shorter at higher levels?

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Better question, does the song need to actually play to get the buff? They really need to do a better job with their hud.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You should capture every monster you can. You can get as much as 20 parts for capturing, carving is for chumps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why do I keep getting bullshit Investigation Unlocked when I can never see any investigation quests in the quest list? Its always grayed out. Do I have to continue the main story a lot to get there?

ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy I want to do a bunch of captures soon but I need to farm up a ton of shock traps and tranquilizer crap. You down?