Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Granted, the game will probably have a lot of the EQ generation - but if Ive learned anything, there are a lot of people that never touched EQ. So Kelethin 3.0 might be long in the tooth for some folks, but it'll be the first time for others. I just hope, ffs, that theres a fucking city map. I dont need a map of dungeons or anything, but gahhh damn, can we have maps in the city.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Biomes look great. Feeling stoked to try the game out. Personally I'm totally fine if this feels like Norrath reskinned, something totally new, or something in between

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Granted, the game will probably have a lot of the EQ generation - but if Ive learned anything, there are a lot of people that never touched EQ. So Kelethin 3.0 might be long in the tooth for some folks, but it'll be the first time for others. I just hope, ffs, that theres a fucking city map. I dont need a map of dungeons or anything, but gahhh damn, can we have maps in the city.
Think Season 2 GIF by NBC
Bruh we got all the maps we need up here

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

This game is going to be better than Pantheon, and I haven't dropped a cent on it.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Thisnis the first MmO I have been excited about since Rift.

man that game was so good in some ways I loved every second of it but they fumbled it hard late game.

This is going back further into classic mmo and I have such huge hopes, b it am trying to temper them because even though these guys look to be crushing it, it’s still a small volunteer team. Even Superman can only do so much

Daidraco

Thisnis the first MmO I have been excited about since Rift.

man that game was so good in some ways I loved every second of it but they fumbled it hard late game.

This is going back further into classic mmo and I have such huge hopes, b it am trying to temper them because even though these guys look to be crushing it, it’s still a small volunteer team. Even Superman can only do so much
I just get concerned about content from small teams. Leveling, hell levels, minimum number of retards needed to kill raid boss, all that "classic" stuff that Verant/989 used to take advantage of to give themselves breathing room to complete projects ... The audience for this game will be super sensitive to any kind of duplicitous shit like that. But fk it, at least its something else on the table, available to play. Fuck, its not like WoW is putting out a ton of content with the launch of entire expansions anymore, either.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
At the very least, you probably won't have to worry about raid bosses. They're not really in the plan for this game (at least, not in the traditional sense).

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I just get concerned about content from small teams. Leveling, hell levels, minimum number of retards needed to kill raid boss, all that "classic" stuff that Verant/989 used to take advantage of to give themselves breathing room to complete projects ... The audience for this game will be super sensitive to any kind of duplicitous shit like that. But fk it, at least its something else on the table, available to play. Fuck, its not like WoW is putting out a ton of content with the launch of entire expansions anymore, either.

Hell levels weren't intentional. They were basically a code mistake.

• 1Truth!

Daidraco

A bunch of stuff in EverQuest was created by that same thought process. Feign Death splitting for example. Thats not to say it didnt work in their benefit - because if they didnt want hell levels, they would have removed them much sooner.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
A bunch of stuff in EverQuest was created by that same thought process. Feign Death splitting for example. Thats not to say it didnt work in their benefit - because if they didnt want hell levels, they would have removed them much sooner.

There was no thought process with hell levels. It was an accident.

• 1Truth!

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
At the very least, you probably won't have to worry about raid bosses. They're not really in the plan for this game (at least, not in the traditional sense).

Not to go on Rift again but I liked their end game dungeons - single group content with harder mechanics

Daidraco

There was no thought process with hell levels. It was an accident.
Im saying that I dont give a shit if it was an accident, a freak flip of the switch in coding or who gives a shit? Im literally saying that hell levels, a minor fucking thing being nit picked about, worked in their benefit. My reply was to go so far as to mention fucking feign death splitting a camp wasnt fucking intended either, and look how that turned out. For fucks sake.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I believe you but I'd be curious how they coded it such that every 5 levels after 25 was somehow much longer than the levels inbetween it!

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Why do you think hell levels were an accident? Or every level after 50 being much slower?

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think I remember hearing somewhere they were an accident.

A lot of the "features" of early EQ were accidents that just stuck. Kiting etc. There wasn't a massive amount of planning put into the initial mechanics beyond "let's make TorilMUD but 3D".

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Those hell levels were indeed an accident. Something about the formula was a bitch to fix without patching the binary or some such thing. I seem to recall speculating that I think the original intent was for certain levels to be a little harder, but the fucked formula ended up making double and triple exp needed for the 51-60 grind, most noticeable between 54 to 58... I think... that was a long long time ago...

P99 might have had a chart up of the actual numbers about 10 years ago.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Why do you think hell levels were an accident? Or every level after 50 being much slower?
They admitted it, no? The internal XP was originally for total XP, and you had formula for total XP needed to get to level N, since you could go up or down in levels at any time.

They did want to slow down level gain starting at 35, so they added a 1.1 multiplier for XP starting at 35, with 1.2 at 40, and 1.3 at 45. However, the dev who coded that didn't realize that the formula for total XP being suddenly increased meant a gap instead of a smooth transition and a near-double XP to complete a level instead of just 10% more, like it did for the levels afterward.

They couldn't fix it, because if they did, everyone beyond a hell level would instantly gain 1, 2 or 3 levels depending on. They couldn't recalculate, since they didn't have the tech to flag characters that needed fixing their XP to distinguish those that were already with the new formula for total XP. So they were left with this artefact.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Yea this is what I recalled from the time- back in the day there were not many “real” numbers - as those that had real numbers where using LeetHAXxoRZ

but the general idea was a equation issue that kinda was broken