Kirun
Buzzfeed Editor
I pretty much jerk off to Elden Ring. I've mentioned it multiple times as the greatest game of all time, and I constantly use it as the prime example of how to create genuine difficulty without making the game feel unfair or needlessly wasting the player's time.I actually don't know if Kirun enjoys ANYTHING lol
I enjoy plenty of different things. My criticism of MnM isn't that I hate old-school MMO design or that I need everything to be easy. It's that I recognize the patterns in the genre.
A lot of what we're seeing with MnM feels like taking the friction of 1999-era MMOs (slow progression, limited spawns, downtime, corpse runs, forced grouping, travel friction, etc.)and treating that friction itself as the thing that made those games great. But there's a huge difference between a mechanic creating meaningful decisions, cooperation, mastery, or tension and a mechanic simply consuming more of the player's time.
Maybe they'll prove me wrong. I genuinely hope they do. But so far, I’m not seeing much that suggests they're actually breaking those patterns or fundamentally rethinking them. I’m seeing a lot of familiar MMO friction being presented as though the friction itself is the innovation.
That's why I keep bringing up Elden Ring. It proves you can make a game brutally difficult, demand mastery, punish mistakes, and create meaningful friction without confusing wasted time with meaningful difficulty.
- 2

