Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
422
274
I think they encrypt everything client side so it's not really possible
doesn't really matter, because the client must decrypt the memory itself to read (and if they've actually encrypted the memory, or done other tricks to obfuscate pointers) that decryption algorithm, key, obfuscation techniques are are available within the client itself to be decompiled. you can read how this jabroni pwned p99's packet encryption techniques 7 years ago

they're not capable of doing anti cheats like big players (and even those big players get pwned)... big players can only prevent publicly released cheats AFTER dissecting their mechanism or just the binary's checksum.

most of the time that is simply banning applications that match "fingerprints" of known cheat applications. so private or personal cheats will almost never be preventable. they can detect when other programs access their programs memory and then crash the application. thats kind of primitive and easily circumvented by kernel level memory reads... thats why you have additional applications, like battle-eye or w/e unity uses by default because it has kernel level memory protection checks. those programs require microsoft registration to sign the certificates allowing those programs kernel level access... something MNM isnt going to do, thus if they did anything would use the built in anti-cheat (but that costs tons of money as a game company). and furthermore those kernel level access programs are circumvented these days by kids buying DMA PCI controllers. (a piece of hardware plugged directly into the motherboard). you then create a fake driver, like for a set of usb speakers, via a plethora of fake or released signatures... now that driver is then coded to access kernel memory and the anti cheats just think that device/driver accessing something is a regular plug-n-play device...
 
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
8,295
21,516
doesn't really matter, because the client must decrypt the memory itself to read (and if they've actually encrypted the memory, or done other tricks to obfuscate pointers) that decryption algorithm, key, obfuscation techniques are are available within the client itself to be decompiled. you can read how this jabroni pwned p99's packet encryption techniques 7 years ago

they're not capable of doing anti cheats like big players (and even those big players get pwned)... big players can only prevent publicly released cheats AFTER dissecting their mechanism or just the binary's checksum.

most of the time that is simply banning applications that match "fingerprints" of known cheat applications. so private or personal cheats will almost never be preventable. they can detect when other programs access their programs memory and then crash the application. thats kind of primitive and easily circumvented by kernel level memory reads... thats why you have additional applications, like battle-eye or w/e unity uses by default because it has kernel level memory protection checks. those programs require microsoft registration to sign the certificates allowing those programs kernel level access... something MNM isnt going to do, thus if they did anything would use the built in anti-cheat (but that costs tons of money as a game company). and furthermore those kernel level access programs are circumvented these days by kids buying DMA PCI controllers. (a piece of hardware plugged directly into the motherboard). you then create a fake driver, like for a set of usb speakers, via a plethora of fake or released signatures... now that driver is then coded to access kernel memory and the anti cheats just think that device/driver accessing something is a regular plug-n-play device...


Naah, let people think that NWC is this super crazy titan of tech security.

It's funny to read that shit on the MNM discord.
 

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,340
20,315
doesn't really matter, because the client must decrypt the memory itself to read (and if they've actually encrypted the memory, or done other tricks to obfuscate pointers) that decryption algorithm, key, obfuscation techniques are are available within the client itself to be decompiled. you can read how this jabroni pwned p99's packet encryption techniques 7 years ago

they're not capable of doing anti cheats like big players (and even those big players get pwned)... big players can only prevent publicly released cheats AFTER dissecting their mechanism or just the binary's checksum.

most of the time that is simply banning applications that match "fingerprints" of known cheat applications. so private or personal cheats will almost never be preventable. they can detect when other programs access their programs memory and then crash the application. thats kind of primitive and easily circumvented by kernel level memory reads... thats why you have additional applications, like battle-eye or w/e unity uses by default because it has kernel level memory protection checks. those programs require microsoft registration to sign the certificates allowing those programs kernel level access... something MNM isnt going to do, thus if they did anything would use the built in anti-cheat (but that costs tons of money as a game company). and furthermore those kernel level access programs are circumvented these days by kids buying DMA PCI controllers. (a piece of hardware plugged directly into the motherboard). you then create a fake driver, like for a set of usb speakers, via a plethora of fake or released signatures... now that driver is then coded to access kernel memory and the anti cheats just think that device/driver accessing something is a regular plug-n-play device...

You don't need to even know anything about the security to be honest. Claude cracked it in 3 minutes
 

Flobee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3,470
4,138
Spell reagents are retarded, how about that one
The ping pong balls carry the power of a lightning bolt. You know nothing of the true power of reagents knave

lightning-bolt.gif
 
Last edited:
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Vyemm Raider
2,708
3,851
I’m sorry but being a caster (already doesn’t get much loot) and having to pay $ to have a single group cast instead of spamming multiple casts on individuals is just retarded.

Make the group buff have a longer cast time and cost 4-6x the mana. Not *everybody* will need most buffs so it’s already a trade off of “do I really care if the Ranger gets +INT or do I want to be more efficient with my mana and cast it on just the people who need it”
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,340
20,315
I’m sorry but being a caster (already doesn’t get much loot) and having to pay $ to have a single group cast instead of spamming multiple casts on individuals is just retarded.

Make the group buff have a longer cast time and cost 4-6x the mana. Not *everybody* will need most buffs so it’s already a trade off of “do I really care if the Ranger gets +INT or do I want to be more efficient with my mana and cast it on just the people who need it”
I'm starting to get the idea the game heavily favors melee in almost every perceivable way.

My necro can solo really well sp maybe I'll just be a hermit the entire game.
 

Drapdis

Bronze Squire
60
71
Overall mixed to slightly positive on the game. I think the lack of coin and high spell prices make the game better. I have a real decision to make when choosing a camp other than exp/hour, the item selling and inventory management is not 100% brain dead.

Personally I am enjoying the pacing quite a bit. At level 15 and will probably get 16 tonight. At 15/16 more quests become available, so in addition to choosing between exp and money, I have a choice to go after some quest lines.

The grind so far is not bad for a semi casual time commitment, havent been through a hell level yet so take it with a grain of salt.

Only big complaint is the class design still feels like a poor imitation of eq for necro at least. Cleric and a few others seem objectively better. I’m not sure it will make or break the game but I don’t understand how class design and balance came last lol. That’s not a great sign, they may never figure it out. Necro is worse after rework. I cast a couple dots, then wait for next pull. You cannot stack the same dot line anymore. They decreased the apm cap! Solo is whatever at this level, i can do it but its about half the exp and coin as a group.
 

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
884
130
I hit 14 tonight. I’ve been able to buy every spell through 16 I feel I really need as a cleric. Skipped a few early undead only spells as well as root, and a few resistance buffs. I’ll buy them all later at some point but I just don’t need them right now. Managed to get enough silver to get almost full copper plate at least for more AC. Hoping I can save enough coin for some jewelry so I can get some damn stats before I need to save a fortune for lvl 20 spells.

Played melee through beta so I don’t now the best spots for cleric drops and haven’t Taken the time to look up what drops to go for. Got a decent weapon off Belot in the UD deepcut area, and the cloak off of Fionna in WB. But that’s about it.