Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,362
20,349
Pantheon did gangbusters with their EA launch. More than this game if memory serves. People played hard for a couple months, then the torpid progress made by the dev team squandered it all. 2 years later they have 10s of people playing on the daily. EQL is in the middle of the same thing. This game will have the same opportunity to show what output the devs can churn out now that they are charging money. Their staunch opposition to QOL is going to be another barrier they need to overcome. Time will tell.
Did pantheon have as many mapping enthusiasts though
 

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
22,041
19,523
Just asked Claude to see if the item database is client side thanks for the idea
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad


IT'S ENCRYPTED!!!
 

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
885
130
I swear exp rates vary greatly just randomly based on location and mob, regardless of level. Spent 3 hours yesterday between deepcut miners in UD and the fionna camp in WB and got just over a level(from 10% to 13 to 14). Spent 45 minutes at alphas in TE today and got 65% through 14. Was really weird.
I spent next to zero time in TE in beta so it really caught me off guard how fast the exp was coming.
 

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,362
20,349
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad


IT'S ENCRYPTED!!!
Ok so everything important is indeed serverside... but....

Two things you should know before sharing:
1. Decrypted game code. The game-code search went further than I'd intended. The game's code index file is deliberately obfuscated, and it decrypted that to dump the full client code. That's where the chat commands, packet layouts and Ledger format came from. Publishing facts taken from it (command list, skill names) is normal wiki material. I'd keep the decrypted file and the code dump private and not share them.
2. Anti-cheat. The client has anti-cheat, a bot detector, and a check that reports to the server when the camera is more than 50 m from your character. Any community tool should stick to reading the Ledger and Player.log; reading network traffic or moving the camera freely risks getting your account flagged.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
13,564
14,162
I swear exp rates vary greatly just randomly based on location and mob, regardless of level. Spent 3 hours yesterday between deepcut miners in UD and the fionna camp in WB and got just over a level(from 10% to 13 to 14). Spent 45 minutes at alphas in TE today and got 65% through 14. Was really weird.
I spent next to zero time in TE in beta so it really caught me off guard how fast the exp was coming.

Some mobs give more money, others more xp, others more loot chances. Everyone used to go straight for most XP but the new economy makes choosing more difficult and I like it.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valorath

Vyemm Raider
1,462
2,911
I swear exp rates vary greatly just randomly based on location and mob, regardless of level. Spent 3 hours yesterday between deepcut miners in UD and the fionna camp in WB and got just over a level(from 10% to 13 to 14). Spent 45 minutes at alphas in TE today and got 65% through 14. Was really weird.
I spent next to zero time in TE in beta so it really caught me off guard how fast the exp was coming.
I’m pretty sure Zone Experience Modifiers exist. Dungeons generally have better exp than outdoor camps of the same level, in my experience. I remember seeing something posted in the discord where a guy said Ancient Crypt, Blacktide Bay, and Grain Cellar all had documented ZEMs (I didn’t look further for proof).

I’ve done 14-18 in Blacktide bay in about 6 hours.
 

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,362
20,349
Major mapping breakthroughs are currently happening. This is the most exciting news for at least 8 hours
1791414106249.png
 
  • 6Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
424
276
Ok so everything important is indeed serverside... but....

Two things you should know before sharing:
1. Decrypted game code. The game-code search went further than I'd intended. The game's code index file is deliberately obfuscated, and it decrypted that to dump the full client code. That's where the chat commands, packet layouts and Ledger format came from. Publishing facts taken from it (command list, skill names) is normal wiki material. I'd keep the decrypted file and the code dump private and not share them.
2. Anti-cheat. The client has anti-cheat, a bot detector, and a check that reports to the server when the camera is more than 50 m from your character. Any community tool should stick to reading the Ledger and Player.log; reading network traffic or moving the camera freely risks getting your account flagged.
good stuff but i imagine all someone could do is dll inject, hook into those anti-cheat functions and return values that keep you undetected... btw for packet layouts, are you actually talking about structs of the packets themselves, if so post it or save it somewhere
 

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,362
20,349
good stuff but i imagine all someone could do is dll inject, hook into those anti-cheat functions and return values that keep you undetected
I don't know why any of this would be client side to be honest.....

I might send them a message at the risk of getting in trouble myself
 
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
424
276
well data mining client side files (what you've done to generate those maps) is most likely against their TOS so you're cooked anyways if they care... no reason to bring attention to yourself imo...

it could be true though that those client side functions double check with server in some way so may not be as circumventable... but if they have plain text packet structs then cmon post it bra
 
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
8,297
21,521
well data mining client side files (what you've done to generate those maps) is most likely against their TOS so you're cooked anyways if they care... no reason to bring attention to yourself imo...

it could be true though that those client side functions double check with server in some way so may not be as circumventable... but if they have plain text packet structs then cmon post it bra

Yeah, thank god he didn't name himself anythign that could be traced back to his character or account details though.
 
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
6,099
16,638
Finally decided to dip into this, as I haven't played since a very, very early stress test. Rolled up a dark elf spellblade while I wait for lizards to come out. Started working on my exile quest to gather some legs, bone chips and "myconid caps." Farmed cave myconids for hours without seeing a "myconid cap." Finally decided to try the combine with some perfect fungus caps and some myconid parts. No luck. Farm some more until some random dude informs me that you just need the damaged caps that I've looted 50 million of. Fuuuuck. Still having fun, though. Trying to go in as blind as possible.