Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Get a summer jacket, it's night and day difference.

It only gets uncomfortable for me when 90+ and at a stoplight. Summer jacket makes it much better.
It's a supposed to be a 3 season spring/summer/fall. I just get sweaty easy/generally hate the heat, and again multiple layers sucks vs if I'm just wearing a tshirt underneath. I do sometimes want to try the windshield off or lowered and maybe get more air blast for the extra cooling. I don't want to go any lighter since I value all the armor bits and pieces given 80% of my riding is ~70mph.

Sludig

I was up early, maybe 6:30 or so and it was perfect out. Was planning to hit up the route from this link:

Peak to Peak Highway in Colorado | Colorado Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Plan was to ride to Golden, then over to Black Hawk up to Estes Park then make my back to Boulder. Hopefully get to it tomorrow.
Pretty long haul if you arn't used to the bike. Going to have to report how your ass holds up. I know my Versys I'm starting to think about seat upgrades, though a lot of that is driven by just pain caused by my blown disc causing sciatic nerve pain when I drive/ride for ~hour.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I may have skipped it so I don't know if you're running leather or tex, but there's some special leathers that are coated to remain cool even in full sun. I used to have a set of those (german dealer chain so no use to you either way and I think they went out of business)

anyway I used to have that same problem and what I did was:

- wear "cool leather"
- wear a set of long underwear (it's going to be sold as functional clothing yadda yadda but it's basically fancy long underwear) so you don't get glued to your suit.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah,

All this talk about wearing "proper" gear just validates that I'm not the only one. So a few weeks back I saw this fool, shorts, sleeveless tank top and flip flops (of course no helmet of gloves) driving through an intersection on a cruiser looking at a cell phone in his hand. I wish I could have taken a picture of this idiocy.

Now when I do see women not wearing any protective gear except for sunglasses cruise by, I do feel a little emasculated when I'm in my full getup (I'm now sporting a half helmet which helps my ego a bit).

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I heard this a long time ago but still sticks with me. It came from a friend when we were talking about wether to wear gear or not.

"Run into a brick wall as fast as you can. Do you think you will get hurt? How fast can you run? Now think about it in a car, motorcycle, any moving contraption and that brick wall at those speeds."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I've seen enough people with road rash, I don't feel emasculated one bit about wearing gear when riding. Honestly, good gear actually look good, so it's hardly something that would bring embarrassment. When I walk around some place with my hard knocking boots and my heavy leather jacket, what I get aren't what you would call disapproving looks.

Sludig

Yeah,

All this talk about wearing "proper" gear just validates that I'm not the only one. So a few weeks back I saw this fool, shorts, sleeveless tank top and flip flops (of course no helmet of gloves) driving through an intersection on a cruiser looking at a cell phone in his hand. I wish I could have taken a picture of this idiocy.

Now when I do see women not wearing any protective gear except for sunglasses cruise by, I do feel a little emasculated when I'm in my full getup (I'm now sporting a half helmet which helps my ego a bit).
Id say full face more important than some other gear. A large % of head injuries you land on jaw/face.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I have a mesh jacket for when it's really hot. It doesn't offer all the protection a full jacket offers but it does have elbow, shoulder and back pads.

The great thing about it is that it lets air pass through it and in low humidity conditions like in AZ, you can wear a vest under it that has these beads in it that absorb water. So before a ride, you soak the vest in a bucket of water and the water evaporates as you ride. Cools you way down in the same way an evaporative cooler works.

Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket and Fieldsheer Vest

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a warm weather jacket that is awesome. Offers great protection, but allows air in and keeps me cool, even in mid-west humidity.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Gear wise I am pretty happy. Looking to add a pair of Icon Patrol 2's(if I ever find some in stock) for something that's a bit lower than my Sidi Discovery Rain boots. Love the Sidi's but this time of year they are stupid hot on the lower leg/feet.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I'm thinking of getting a trailer for my bike so I can go camping with it. Anyone here have a trailer?
Trailer for a car/truck to tow a motorcycle or a trailer attached to a motorcycle?

My buddy and I use an enclosed trailer for trackdays. I've also used a 2 rail kendon fold up. If you have a light dirt bike you could get one of those hitch mount sideways racks.

Otherwise, what are your camping plans with the bike?

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've seen enough people with road rash, I don't feel emasculated one bit about wearing gear when riding. Honestly, good gear actually look good, so it's hardly something that would bring embarrassment. When I walk around some place with my hard knocking boots and my heavy leather jacket, what I get aren't what you would call disapproving looks.

Honestly, when I walk into a public place with my mesh riding jacket carrying my helmet, I agree 100%. I get looked at like some anomaly or curiosity from primarily non-riders.

Id say full face more important than some other gear. A large % of head injuries you land on jaw/face.

I totally get it and I do interchange w/ a full face as well, especially on longer rides that involve lots of interstate/highway.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Strap it to the roof you pussy.

Trailer for a car/truck to tow a motorcycle or a trailer attached to a motorcycle?

My buddy and I use an enclosed trailer for trackdays. I've also used a 2 rail kendon fold up. If you have a light dirt bike you could get one of those hitch mount sideways racks.

Otherwise, what are your camping plans with the bike?

I have huge saddle bags already, but my wife and I would like the option to go for a serious long haul, like out to Glacier, or something. If we're going to spend a couple weeks out on the bike, the extra storage would be nice. It would allow us to bring a bigger tent, for example.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So i've been thinking about learning to ride but i have a problem; my right ankle doesn't work due to nerve damage from an old injury. I can drive a car fine as i use the heel as a fulcrum. Would that prevent me from driving a bike or be a safety issue? The right foot controls the rear brake yes?

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
So i've been thinking about learning to ride but i have a problem; my right ankle doesn't work due to nerve damage from an old injury. I can drive a car fine as i use the heel as a fulcrum. Would that prevent me from driving a bike or be a safety issue? The right foot controls the rear brake yes?

Yes it does. Can you apply varying pressure with your right foot?

There are bike with integrated braking systems where both the right hand control and the right foot pedal will apply both brakes. I'd still be a little concerned about it if your right foot cannot be used.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

if you can apply varying pressure with your foot on the car brake, you should be able to do it with a motorcycle brake - as thats all that right foot does. only way to find out is to try it. just doing it on a non-moving bike in neutral should give you more than enough insight on whether this is possible for you