Motorcycle Thread

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I guess a good pair of stiff boots would probably be in order. Is the brake toe or heel? Is that a thing i can convert if i need to?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Toe, a lighter cruiser like my vulcan s I could see using heel due to geometry and it being adjustable reach. Something like a sport bike having a hard time unless you can at least lift foot up as needed to plant center of foot on brake and apply pressure as needed.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I would head into a dealership, tell them you are interested in learning how to ride and about your ankle. They should be happy to let you test it out on various styles of bikes and see if something could work for you.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Outside of using it for hill holds, I don't use the rear brake. Some people use it for slow speed maneuvers, but I just foot dab if I'm going that slow because fuck it, I'm not trying to pass my license test anymore (I already passed it).

There are handlebar mounted thumb brake options as well for the rear brake. Racers and stunt riders have left bar mounted brake control options.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Outside of using it for hill holds, I don't use the rear brake. Some people use it for slow speed maneuvers, but I just foot dab if I'm going that slow because fuck it, I'm not trying to pass my license test anymore (I already passed it).

There are handlebar mounted thumb brake options as well for the rear brake. Racers and stunt riders have left bar mounted brake control options.

Basically the same here, however, when some dumbfuck pulls in front of me the rear + front brake has saved my ass a few times.

Sludig

I like rear on my vulcan as i coast into a stop with sone engine breaking. If i need more start adding front brake. Normal traffic riding and adjusting fir curves I'll use front. Sometimes some very light rear brake in a turn. I guess another one is when I'm in a long line for a 4 way stop sign feathering clutch and light on the rear to let me creep at 2mph.

Would say the bike dictates some youre style. Found myself changing how i ride quite a bit on my vulcan compared to my versys. Though after 6 months on that liter inline 4 I don't think I can bring myself to ride that twin anymore.

Got to try a ninja 250... frame felt smaller than the grom almost due to the crunched position and my 6ft size. Hated it for feeling very similiar to the 125, very spongy/mushy. No real rev in it.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I started riding with dirt bikes and trials, not using the rear at all would be a bit much to me, especially at low speed and when fooling around off road.

Kais if you can use the ball of your foot as the axis point, it should be doable to tinker a pedal extension on many bikes allowing you to brake using your heel instead of your toes. How easy and effective is going to be dependant on the original design of the bike and your own skills fashioning that kind of stuff.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Basically the same here, however, when some dumbfuck pulls in front of me the rear + front brake has saved my ass a few times.
I've spent most of my time recently at the track. Braking into a corner with the rear skidding because the stock slipper clutch on my R6 isn't very slippy just further cements how useless the rear actually is in a maximal braking situation on any modern lightweight performance bike.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If you find it will work out for you, I would sign up for a Motorcylce Safety Foundation Course right away. I think most states require you to take it now just to get your endorsement.(provided you are in the US) If you have friends you trust that ride definitely hit them up as well.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Lots of bikes now have ABS so the rear brake works when you pull the front lever.
You could get a second brake set up like the stunt guys do, there's a lever on the bars for the rear brake. The stunt guys get a second rear brake caliper fitted but you could just use the OEM rear caliper.
Or get an Automatic bike and put the rear brake lever on the left hand bar.
Mick Doohan smashed his right foot and had it fussed in place, he use a thumb lever for the rear brake.

With camping, i do it sometimes but not a lot anymore.
I have a 60L backpack that is plenty enough for a tent/mat/sleeping bag and some food for a couple of days.I just buy food as needed if longer than that.
Man up and wear the same cloths ever day so you only carry extra jocks and socks.
Or get a gear sack rack, they are pretty good and not on your back so you can move around on the bike.
Same with Pannier bags.

Sludig

What does ABS have to do with rear brake.... linked breaks etc is a thing, but has nothing to do with ABS by itself. (Some bikes I think even have the ABS only on one wheel)

Doing a handbreak like stunters is a good point though.

Good side cases are absurdly expensive in a lot of cases. Glad they come standard in the US for the versys. Though for the longest time I only used a cheap $35 40l backpack from sportsmans thats been one of my best bags. Need to figure out how best to strap down a rifle case to go with my backpack and side cases if I go visit a friend in SLC>

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
With ABS, they almost always have linked brakes, so you get rear brakes when you pull the front lever.
Old mate with the buggered foot won't need to worry about the rear as the ABS/linked brakes is doing the work for him.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, you got that backward. Bikes with linked brakes often have ABS but bikes with ABS rarely have linked brakes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Hmmm, maybe you are right and i'm wrong. I remember the last time i was wrong.
It was a lovely summers day 1994 sitting on the beach with my girlfriend checking out the chicks in bikinis ... i did something wrong, still don't know what but there you go.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
ABS are increasingly common. Hell, the new euro regs require all new bikes to be sold with ABS so it's going to be oem on basically everything, at least in Europe. Meanwhile bikes with linked brakes are pretty rare, most manufacturer maybe has one model with it. They are usually their higher end tourer so ABS was a given regardless of linkage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurker

Vyemm Raider
2019_SuperCubC125ABS_600x400_PearlNiltavaBlue_trans.png

This is what I want, now.