Motorcycle Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't ride, but you can't really hear that shit as a driver unless you're behind or right beside it. When coming up behind or head on from the side or front its not noisy until after the bike passes.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I was about to comment on the bike then noticed how old the post is. Did you buy it?
Nope. Since I made that post I have purchased two different old japanese bikes that I am currently ratting/cafeing like I did back in college. One is a GS1000 and the other is a 750 Virago that started out ugly as sin and I hope to make very pretty over the summer. One of my old riding buddies got me off the idea of a new enfield and I figured I might as well go stupid and crazy.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't ride, but you can't really hear that shit as a driver unless you're behind or right beside it. When coming up behind or head on from the side or front its not noisy until after the bike passes.
That's really what it comes down to, for me. The vast majority of the noise is being projected in the opposite direction of travel. The only situation it might help is if you're an idiot and driving right beside other cars in their blind spots, they might hear you there and not sideswipe you to make a lane change. But even that's doubtful. My biggest fear when riding a motorcycle is people turning left in front of me in the opposite direction of travel, and loud pipes don't do a fucking thing for that.

That said, I do have an after market exhaust on my R6, but that's primarily because the stock one was ugly as fuck, while the after market one looks cool.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
7fpucAT.gif

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I was really looking at getting a triumph this spring before I got put out of comission. Maybe next year.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Thanks. I've been too busy to ride much this summer but if I had your bike, I'd find time.
I ride mine every day. It's my primary vehicle, especially when the kids are in school and I don't have any of them with me. The oldest three of my kids are now big enough to ride as a passenger, which is fun. I think I'm taking one of the twins with me for an overnight camping trip with another dad and daughter friend who also has a bike. We'll probably ride about 4 or 5 hours north, camp a couple nights, ride home. Fun times.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've seen two people killed on motorcycles in the past two months. The blood from one is finally starting to wash away due to the rain storms. Kind of a good reminder not to give in and buy a motorcycle when every day leaving the apartment I have to drive over a huge red patch of blood, gore and the cleanup shit they had to put down to pick it up.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Each one of us has to decide for ourselves which risks are acceptable and which are not.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is true, but when I stop and think about it, I'm putting a lot of trust in other people and how they drive. I take the precautions I can, such as wearing the motorcycle suit and helmet and gloves, and I drive very defensively and am very careful, but at the end of the day, if a dumb ass is incautious and swipes me, I'm going down and I'm going to get damaged.

However, this is a risk I'm willing to take. Hot damn, I love driving a motorcycle.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
As unsafe as they are I think at times I feel safer on a bike.

With a bike I have gotten out of a ton of scary things because of the size and agility of the bike compared to a car. I may or may not have been in that situation though if I wasn't on a bike but six of one and half dozen of the other.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
ATGATT, is the way to be. All The Gear, All The Time. (except for pants, because chaps or leathers are annoying, and true riding jeans are expensive as fuck)