Motorcycle Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, the ECU does all the work for you. You just shift away. In order for a bike to do downshifts it has to be ride by wire throttle if I recall correctly

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Street Triple RS doesn't have auto-blip down.

And yes, you need a ride by wire system for the ECU to be able to rev the engine independently of the throttle grip.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Turning into a bad fucking month for my bikes. Riding my vulcan s while waiting to repair fairing on versys. Refilling from an older faggot californian compliant gas can, Ring further up the filler neck popped loose and despite being a big ring with 2 tabs, fell straight into the narrow fuel slot. Trying to get it out with the best tweezers I could find quickly while it was floating in the dim garage with my sunglasses still on, unable to get it rotated with the narrow entrance to the tank and it slips and sinks into some deep corner.

For not being mechanically inclined it went pretty well getting the tank off. I'm hoping it doesnt leak given I had to undo the fuel pump door to get inside the tank. Screws were some kind of mild loctite, and I retorqued on manually as hard as I could. So far not leaking and didnt light on fire. Trying to dump a couple gallons of fuel was not pretty without a siphon pump at hand either.

In the end despite some microfiber towels down got some abrasion on the side of the tank, 1 deep scratch right where most put a tank protector pad (so guess I'll get one and look at paint correction for the side). Then one little rubber gromet for the ignition area fairing went mia, so need to order one of those too.

FML, I didnt need this tonight when I'm already almost too sore to move after getting smoked sunday at a pre academy fitness thing.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
dang, that sucks man.

Anyone use 3M reflective tape? Thinking of putting some on my bike so people see you a bit more. Not sure if it works that well or not.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
If people can't see you and you're having close calls, change your riding habits. We're the size of a pen held at arms length in a world full of people staring at their phones while driving 80.

Sludig

dang, that sucks man.

Anyone use 3M reflective tape? Thinking of putting some on my bike so people see you a bit more. Not sure if it works that well or not.
A friend gave me that 3m stuff that's dark grey to black but super reflective. Was going to put some small strips on my luggage and maybe some other spots on the side. I doubt it would help oncoming, maybe a little in rear.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, was mostly thinking for at dusk/nighttime. Think I'll just grab these for the back of my helmet:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
dang, that sucks man.

If people can't see you and you're having close calls, change your riding habits. We're the size of a pen held at arms length in a world full of people staring at their phones while driving 80.

I have that tape all over the back of my saddle bags. It isn't because I'm having close calls, but it certainly makes me more visible. I also have flashing break lights, and everything I can do to make myself more visible. Not because I don't trust my driving, but because I don't trust others.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Made it home with a few random rainddrops then suprise this happened in about 2 minutes.

20180814_174921.jpg

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yeah? And I'm going to the track this weekend and it'll be 10 degrees hotter than it was during the week! (Please feel bad for me, it's very hot)

Sludig

So my versys bought at ~5k miles had stock tires. The battleax or whatever were already squaring off. I knew that's less than idea, but didnt have too much problems that I knew....... finally replaced them today at 10k miles and what a difference I'm kicking myself for not swapping sooner.

I think I'm going to be a lot happier at some of the faster turns at street lights and harder canyon type stuff. I didnt realize it until I had something to compare it to, but the flattened out ones I'd say kinda basically felt fine, but you reached a point that was I guess resistance to going further and when breaking that resistance it then felt kinda like you were doing to dip over to far/quick. Now on the scant 5 miles on them I'd already say much happier to dip around in the lane and smoother predictable lean. Just wondering how many bad habbits or sub conscious reactions I've ingrained over the last year.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So my versys bought at ~5k miles had stock tires. The battleax or whatever were already squaring off. I knew that's less than idea, but didnt have too much problems that I knew....... finally replaced them today at 10k miles and what a difference I'm kicking myself for not swapping sooner.

I think I'm going to be a lot happier at some of the faster turns at street lights and harder canyon type stuff. I didnt realize it until I had something to compare it to, but the flattened out ones I'd say kinda basically felt fine, but you reached a point that was I guess resistance to going further and when breaking that resistance it then felt kinda like you were doing to dip over to far/quick. Now on the scant 5 miles on them I'd already say much happier to dip around in the lane and smoother predictable lean. Just wondering how many bad habbits or sub conscious reactions I've ingrained over the last year.

Make sure you break them in well before you start pushing it or you'll eat pavement.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Yeap, 78 mile round trip commute should be enough to get them scrubbed.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
You just need to get them up to operating temp for the first time. Accelerate hard and brake hard while upright.

Sludig

Accelerate hard ive got covered ^_^.

Been to 125, nore with new tires I am thinking about going to the middle of nowhere to give it one spin up to max. Was only like 7.5 or 8k at 125, redline is 10 or 12.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
You're after aggressive acceleration honestly, 10-60 and hard braking back down is enough. Top speed usually takes awhile to get there and you're not asking a lot of the tire anymore friction wise.

Sludig

The wringing it out was a seperate desire from trying to scrub the tires in. I need some kind of automatic stop watch while I chase that 3.8 second or whatever 0-60 the V1000 is supposed to be good for.

I was heartbroken, both a used concourse 1400 for 8k and the new one both sold from the small local dealer wtf in 2-3 weeks. So didnt get to test ride and possibly trade for the used one. Maybe I just need to test ride the supered H2 ^_^ but a bit beyond fun budget atm.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

One day I'd like to have something like either one of these. So spendy tho. The last test is pretty hysterical.

Sludig

Ya, I had thought about linking just the track portion. I love the MC commute of the gold wing, he power slides it all over the lot.

Love that BMW but aside from cost, not sure I'd actually love it over the versys 1000/concourse 1400. Just getting too big, stock it's limited to like 106mph, etc. And you can visibly see more bumps than on the goldwing. Goldwing though being practically a car with no shift lever etc, I think takes any fun out of it.