Motorcycle Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well ya, its not a 20k bike. But rough math in price of my versys to the h2 i was expecting more like 900-1200. Some guys say 600 on h2 group but qlso are like 50yrs old with clean record.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So riding season is coming close to an end here in Minnesota (goddamn rain) and I'm wondering if there is any tips/tricks you do when winterizing your motorcycle for those that need to?

Sludig

So went and rode the h2. I think a lot of just response was likely affected by being only allowed to ride in low. (So basically a bit less power than my existing bike this way).

What I found odd was that that big sport bike actually on my 10 minute ride was... hard to describe but much harder it seemed like to flick about in my lane while going straight. The versys 1000 maybe because of sitting so high and tall, I just shift my hips basically and a tiny bit of handlebar and I'm doing rapid turns against the walls of my lane. Besides being more sluggish, the rear end felt... not quite squirely but definately a different feel. I was certainly much more hesitant taking street light corners.

Both bikes are about same weight, SX I'm not sure has a longer or shorter wheel base. So having a hard time deciding what all is going on. Just unused to a sport bike position. (I was almost hating the half tuck position, felt like I wanted to be more upright like I'm used to, or if I'm going to tuck, would prefer closer to full tuck. Windblast with visor open could hardly hear that supercharger. This was with their "big" shield and you can gain another inch or two with an aftermarket, but certainly going to make for a windy ride. Almost think it's best to go shorter shield and try to just ride in clean air rather than buffeting from the windshield.

Might need to find another I can ride or if they'll give me a second spin on at least medium.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just set up one of my outbuildings for winter. Built it with heating pipes in the cement, and got the water heater installed today, and it's working great. I now have a place to put my bike for the winter months. Won't clog up the garage any more, won't be in a freezing building, and has great access and easy in/out. I'm excited about this.

But not excited enough to put the bike away yet.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Just looking at pictures of the H2 SX SE it looks like the shield would be making the wind hit me in the neck area sitting upright. Definitely wouldn't be a fan of that. To bad you can't test ride it properly as I bet it would be a completely different experience

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
KLR tooling probably got too out of spec to continue. How old is that platform? 30 years?

After looking, 11 years on the redesign. 37 hp from a 651cc lump, sigh.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
The KLR engine was already outdated tech when it first came out. It's fucking amazing it stayed in production this long.

Fact is, it was too heavy to be a decent off road bike and rather uncomfortable for touring yet was used extensively for both. What it had going for it is just how rugged it is (not so much in reliability but rather how much punishment it can take) and its simple mechanic means you could tear it apart yourself to do field repairs if you're stuck on a hill in Mongolia. KLR owners also seemingly all have this no fucks given attitude when it comes to the look of their bikes: they will permanently fix broken fenders with tie-rap stitches and attach luggage to the bike with wood screws without questioning the wisdom of the idea.

There's also the interesting phenomenon of nearly everyone somehow admiring the bike (or the romanticised idea of it) but buying something else (myself included).

Sludig

Any secrets to selling my bikes other than not doing it in October after an unseasonably early snow? Rather impatient to jump at the H2. Assuming bad rape on trade in. (hoping maybe if it's 2 bikes and take their financing maybe they could make it a little less painful than normal)

vGrade

Potato del Grande
My new toy. Just installed the fulll Leo Vince factory S. ECU should be back today from Bauce racing
20181018_094227.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone try out 7v heated gloves? Considering a pair as I don't think I want to go 12v and be tethered to the bike.

Sludig

Went riding with a super minor youtuber I found who lives near where I grew up. Recognized the streets. He has a 13 Concours 1400. We swapped and rode around for an hour.

He's thinking of selling and it was on my wishlist before the H2. So depending how bad the cut to my pay with joining the Sheriff is, it might be a better choice. I am not sure it really felt faster per se than the versys, just a bit different hauling points and in maybe wider area's of each gear. Cruising at 50 usually I was in 3rd or 4th most of the time never even got up to 5/6.

For supposed to be a porky bike at like 680lbs vs the not terribly slim V1k at 550ish, it was quite managable. With bags on I could get my legs over and unless it really got to tipping I didnt feel bad moving the weight around. For a bike I was not familiar with, the raised heli bars on it I was actually more comfortable in street corners etc than I am on the versys. Versys is almost too flickable side to side with just the slightest input so I feel loose in my turns. I think I like the big and heavy even if it needs more work to get a good lean in, on other hand so smooth and steady altering angle thru turns.

The windshield being powered and actually reaching high enough for my 6ft 1 self also a bonus over the H2 where I ate disturbed wind unless I went full tuck down behind the shield.

Like 40k miles on it, being a 13 sucks since the 14 was tweaked a bit with different gearing low/mid and some other internal things I forget (suspension?). I think if it was a 14+, I think I'd be ready to almost say fuck it, take it for $6000 or whatever he wants vs the $19k H2. H2 though still has all the crazy electronics, supercharged nuttiness, tft fighter jet dash and all the other cool shit going for it. (And certainly prettier than the Conny.)

Wife actually still thinks I should go H2 rather than swapping every year, but she's biased since she wants me to find H2 esque fairings for her grom lol.

Sludig

Kinda funny, found out my department has 1 if not all of them are concourses. Sign that i should get that cheap used one instead of the 19k h2?

I know I need one or the other because I drained my battery again leaving my after market hated grip wraps on again. Too retarded to remember after an hour ride