Mount & Blade - A Clash of Kings 2.0 Releasing March 28th!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Any quick way to find specific companions in the beginning? I decided to do some trading to raise my first denars to hire companions. So I was Leslie but she is nowhere to be found.
I read in the patch notes for 3.6 that if you sell prisoners to slavers they'll give you a pro-tip on companions you haven't seen yet.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
All flaws/issues aside, all I know is whenever a M&B thread gets bumped/created, I need to play a new PoP compaign, so knock it off assholes!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm probably gonna import myself and start over. I didn't realize you could send your companions off to build your right to rule before you even establish your kingdom. Starting your own kingdom with zero right to rule is just mind-numbingly tedious.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I have never exported/imported before, but I tried last night and was unable to bring my 3.42 character over to 3.6.

Unless there is some trick to it.

Elerion

N00b
If you're unable to import directly, just do the following:
Export old character, save file as OLDCHAR, open in text editor.
Start new game, export character NEWCHAR. Edit the NEWCHAR export file and give yourself whatever variables you had on OLDCHAR. Then import that character back.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Can you edit companions? Some of these guys have stupid skills. I also am tempted to set all the companions I find to my own level so I can pick all skills. Not sure if there is a way to edit them though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can you edit companions? Some of these guys have stupid skills. I also am tempted to set all the companions I find to my own level so I can pick all skills. Not sure if there is a way to edit them though.
You can but it's not trivial. just search for warband import companions. Be sure to backup your files and saves

Azziane_sl

shitlord
You can but it's not trivial. just search for warband import companions. Be sure to backup your files and saves
I ended up using Morgh's tools which required a restart. I went so far as looking up the basic stats (STR/AGI/INT/CHA) and skills (Power strike, iron flesh etc...) of each possible companion and "backward-engineering-figuring-out" what their stats would be at level 1.

Turns out Lethaldarin really sucks assballs at level 1 (with a whooping 5 points to spend in skills once you figure in both level and INT) - even though he's a powerhouse if you manage to hire him early on. I had no good way to figuring out weapon skills (the progression is far from linear) so I gave every hero whatever my toon started with - favoring whatever was their highest 2 skills without dropping anything under 60. I figured raising Sir Alistair's throwing from 15 to 60 would be too much of a pain in the ass.

Globally it was roughly a 100x2 with the rest at 60x4 or so. I had to put it all in a spreadsheet and downgrade everyone, but I feel like I can hire anyone at level 1 and not feel like I cheated too much. I completely broke every balance aspect of the companions though so I know I totally am cheating. But the 2 hours it took me to figure all these stats out make me feel like I did not cheat at all. How amazing!

I also did not change the cost of any member. So Lethaldarin, who sucks more than Leslie as a DPS/tank guy at level 1, still costs 6k or so. I did raise any hero who had a skill/stats count more than 20% below average (42 for stats and 15.6 for skills) to the average. So Lethaldarin, to keep him as an example, does not suck that bad. My reasoning was that Leslie or Ansen will spend skills on tons of Int based stuff while Lethal will focus on damage. And if anyone is interested I think Sir Alistair is basically #1 on every layer if you take him at level 1.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
all this M&B talk made me fire up my most recent save. I really need to start a new game.

rrr_img_21537.jpg

(I won with 4 causalities)

also
rrr_img_21538.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I took my 20 man companion warband against Alaric von Brouhaha's peasant rebellion and wiped them out, but the fucker escaped so no Qualis gem.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
21 is you plus 20 companions? Do you do an insane amount of micromanagement when they complain or is there another way to keep them all happy?

Also want to know how long the battle took!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It didn't take very long, and I have my settings to put about 600ish units on the map at a time. Overall the first battle eliminated 1700 of them and took probably ten minutes. The second half of the army is still alive though, I should approached it from the side so I could collect all the enemies instead of half of them.

If you have a high leadership skill and keep your moral high (easy to do if you don't have many units) it's pretty easy to maintain your party. You can also turn it off (since it doesn't really make sense anyway).

Azziane_sl

shitlord
It didn't take very long, and I have my settings to put about 600ish units on the map at a time. Overall the first battle eliminated 1700 of them and took probably ten minutes. The second half of the army is still alive though, I should approached it from the side so I could collect all the enemies instead of half of them.

If you have a high leadership skill and keep your moral high (easy to do if you don't have many units) it's pretty easy to maintain your party. You can also turn it off (since it doesn't really make sense anyway).
Turn it off in Pendor? I remember doing some file edits in vanilla years ago but gave up trying on Pendor because a lot of the code changed. I'm sure it's doable but sounds like a PITA.

Also here's a good overview of the new "make your own order" feature.

Now, how about training your Order troops? Their stats are miserable.
You need skilled companions, preferably with good Training skill. They will be able to train your knights up to their own attribute (Strength/Agility), skills and weapon proficiencies levels.
Sounds kinda cool.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=267392.0

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Turn it off in Pendor? I remember doing some file edits in vanilla years ago but gave up trying on Pendor because a lot of the code changed. I'm sure it's doable but sounds like a PITA.

Also here's a good overview of the new "make your own order" feature.

Sounds kinda cool.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=267392.0
Pendor gives the option in the Camp/Options menu.

Making your own order sounds awesome, if slow/expensive.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just tell whoever complains to fuck off. Anytime someone wants to leave I just persuade them to stick around.

Making your own order is horrible and tedious. Like the first thing I went ahead and upgraded was their mounts, for some strange reason the best mount i could get was the noldor steppe pony, so I spent 50k and almost two months on that. During that time I discovered you can dispatch a companion to train your order, which raised their ride skill and lo and behold, I now had access to better fucking mounts. Glad I wasted the time and money on the steppe pony. The whole thing takes so fucking long that by the time you have a fully trained and kitted up knighthood order, you could have an entire fucking army of any pre-existing knight chapter ready to go. I'm probably gonna train up some silvermists while I wait for the 6 more months my order will take to finish getting set up.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
started a new dude with pop 3.6. Easy to forget how hard this game is when you're at a high level and fully geared. Nothing like getting one shot by a bandit...

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Pendor gives the option in the Camp/Options menu.

Making your own order sounds awesome, if slow/expensive.
The option to change "companion messages" lets you turn it to "all" or "few". Few means you will not get the complaint screen but they still lose morale I think - you just get a quick message at the bottom left instead of the dialogue screen.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Just a word on this. I permanently lost a companion due to this last night. I had a not so great battle and she got upset for the battle not going well and having to put up with people in the group and afterwards she left, I couldn't talk her out of it either.

So I don't know how Tuco the Magnificent manages things, but I'm cutting back to the proper 10ish "circle friendly" companions I think.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just a word on this. I permanently lost a companion due to this last night. I had a not so great battle and she got upset for the battle not going well and having to put up with people in the group and afterwards she left, I couldn't talk her out of it either.

So I don't know how Tuco the Magnificent manages things, but I'm cutting back to the proper 10ish "circle friendly" companions I think.
Except you never permanently lose a companion. On the off chance that someone 'leaves for good' (still happens to me from time to time), they will start showing up in taverns again in 3-4 days because whatever they were going back to didn't work out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Except you never permanently lose a companion. On the off chance that someone 'leaves for good' (still happens to me from time to time), they will start showing up in taverns again in 3-4 days because whatever they were going back to didn't work out.
Yep. Even if you party members spend the entire time being pissed off it's better to just lose one every now and then vs limiting yourself to 10 inclusionary party members. And eventually you might want to just chill with your 20 super-members rather than have an army (It's much easier to have high moral with a small party) and you'll want them all to be leveled.