Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Have been looking into this. I saw what you guys said to Ut...but in terms of the game, is it set up like an RPG where the goal is just to get the biggest army? Or is it a campaign/story based thing?
The game is essentially a medieval warlord simulator. You can be a bandit raiding towns, a mercenary warband hiring out to various kingdoms, a vassal to a king, or I think even own your own kingdom eventually (in the original at least). Its also a pretty good combat simulator kind of like a jankier version of For Honor. I only spent ~40-50 hours in the original though so feel free to correct me any of you that have played more.

Caliane

I saw someone asked how to access the codex or whatever. It appears to be the N key while on campaign map. Only way to find nobles for this folly quest.

Also apparently if you press R during character creation you can play as a baby. Given the hitboxes it’s probably like playing Oddjob in Goldeneye.
nice. I thought it was really odd there was no menu icon for the Encyclopedia. you can also just right click just about anything to open it up.. and then just back out of that specific topic, to go look for whatever topic you wanted.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Doing the same thing. The tournaments in Bannerlord are pretty generous to players. A lot of mods will start you off with a 2h axe against a bunch of archers :|

The betting is bullshit though. I'm some dude fresh off the farm going against some knights 1v1 and I get +1000 odds on my bets (Bet 300, win 30)
yeah, I wonder if they scale or get harder or something?

I'm playing as a "leader", with xbow training. basically 0 melee/riding ability, and have 50/50'd the tourneyments I've done. Must be a cakewalk for someone with melee stats. Especially as you get more familiar with combat/weapons.

I am having alot of fun. I think PoE league is now done for me ha. I've hit no major bugs. I'm not even sure what features are missing.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
yeah, I wonder if they scale or get harder or something?

I'm playing as a "leader", with xbow training. basically 0 melee/riding ability, and have 50/50'd the tourneyments I've done. Must be a cakewalk for someone with melee stats. Especially as you get more familiar with combat/weapons.

I am having alot of fun. I think PoE league is now done for me ha. I've hit no major bugs. I'm not even sure what features are missing.

At first I was planning to go with a 2h build but I found it very challenging even in the intro practice area, the mouse to directional block felt very unresponsive. Ended up going sword and board which seems great.

I had a ton of crashing bugs but I started a new campaign and haven’t crashed once on this one, my original save file is unplayable still as it crashes within a few minutes of startup.

• 1Like

Caliane

ha. yeah, my thoughts in the training area was, oh, 2h is awful. shields OP, after kicking the trainers ass.

Spears aren't quite as good in game, as real life. way too easy to get in on people. NPCS you can even just run up and punch them to death in melee range.
Maybe with really high polearm skill, spears are 1 hit kills, so are back to being more like reality. so the range is a bonus, not a detriment.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Spears aren't quite as good in game, as real life. way too easy to get in on people. NPCS you can even just run up and punch them to death in melee range.
Maybe with really high polearm skill, spears are 1 hit kills, so are back to being more like reality. so the range is a bonus, not a detriment.
As I recall from the first game polearms were really best used from horseback. Seems to be similar here thus far

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have been looking into this. I saw what you guys said to Ut...but in terms of the game, is it set up like an RPG where the goal is just to get the biggest army? Or is it a campaign/story based thing?
The goal isn't necessarily to get the biggest army. Mo army mo problems. It's a sandbox game where the player can do a variety of different things, one of which is to have a yuge army, conquer all the lands and be undisputed king.

They added a bunch of campaign/story elements to Bannerlord, but it's yet to be seen how meaningful they become to the typical singleplayer experience.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
At first I was planning to go with a 2h build but I found it very challenging even in the intro practice area, the mouse to directional block felt very unresponsive. Ended up going sword and board which seems great.

I had a ton of crashing bugs but I started a new campaign and haven’t crashed once on this one, my original save file is unplayable still as it crashes within a few minutes of startup.
I don't know if you've played warband but the swing mechanics are a whole other fucking world that almost seems like an unintended mechanic.

Whenever I learn a new game I always hold judgment until I see high level players in action. Warband is just bizarre.

Fortunately these mechanics can be largely ignored in singleplayer and especially on cavalry. In tournaments where you're forced on ground they become a little more important, but the tournaments in bannerlord give you a shield whenever you're dismounted, so it's a lot easier.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Whenever I learn a new game I always hold judgment until I see high level players in action. Warband is just bizarre.
That video is pretty incredible honestly. Trying to imagine playing that way has got to be the closest anology I can imagine to digitizing the experience of fencing. If you can imagine significantly improved animations for the movement of the cursor it could honestly look really impressive. We're fucking creating the matrix and stuff like this is like a tiny slice of the rough first draft.

BUT that looks stupid as hell and I can't imagine staring at whatever that is long enough to get that good.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Dragging & feinting

Basically you do combat as usual, pick the type of strike by steering while initiating the attack, but when you are launching your attack, you move your characters field of view (mouse) so that it quickens/supports the animation it is doing.

The guy in black and yellow tries to make his sweeping horizontal attack hit the feet of the other guy this way. for example;

When you doing the overhead top -> down strike, if you look at your toes while swinging, the swing is going to increase in speed.

This combined with feinting (cancelling an attack after its animation started), results in the kind of shit like in the vid Tuco posted.

It doesn't really work too well against the AI. In warband it would let me rack up 100+ kills with a 2h on horseback, I never had much succes with it in melee though.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I figured out how to recruit prisoners:

click on party button (left bottom of screen), click on the bar that has the prisoners name, you'll see the "recruit prisoner" button.

It doesn't work for me, if someone can confirm that the feature is broken, or its just because my char has the social skills of an ebola patient with covid, that'd be cool.

You have to click recruit, then exit the party menu, and they'll be in your party.

ps: this is still a thing

boss.jpg

Last edited:

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I figured out how to recruit prisoners:

click on party button (left bottom of screen), click on the bar that has the prisoners name, you'll see the "recruit prisoner" button.

It doesn't work for me, if someone can confirm that the feature is broken, or its just because my char has the social skills of an ebola patient with covid, that'd be cool.

It works. Eventually you'll see the icon is a brighter color and it will work. It seems like they need to be in your party as prisoners for a certain length of time before they submit to joining you. In my experience the better they are the longer it takes.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Once some huge mods ala PoP come out, this game is gonna be 100's of hours of entertainment.

Something feels off/different about weapon blocking in this vs. M&B 1. I'm having a rough time blocking with just a weapon (no shield). Dunno if they just made it harder or what, but 1h+shield seems to be the way to go right now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Once some huge mods ala PoP come out, this game is gonna be 100's of hours of entertainment.

Something feels off/different about weapon blocking in this vs. M&B 1. I'm having a rough time blocking with just a weapon (no shield). Dunno if they just made it harder or what, but 1h+shield seems to be the way to go right now.
There is a huge thread in the beta forums that described about 20 different really detailed problems with bannerlord vs warband's combat.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Sent my party on a caravan to make some cash, now it's been a while and I can't figure out how to get them back lol.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I'm looking forward to the game, but yeah, it's sounding like letting the game get a few patches under its belt before diving in is a wise move; lots of weird bugs still hanging about, and as an early access it's not quite feature complete.

Happily, I've got a massive backlog of games I want to get to, so I can probably manage giving them a couple more months before I dive in.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have found the game does need to be restarted every once in awhile. Memory leak or something as resource drain slowly increasing over time.