Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Caliane

how close are you to conquering the world now? Is it getting harder as you get further along?

I'm hoping they release the patch that makes lords train a bit harder before forming up armies and marching to the enemy. In my current playthrough I'm rolling with the Khuzait and we've got a bout 1/3rd of the world. I want to duck out and start my own kingdom soon. I'll probably start in Sturgia.
as soon as I realized I need to personally be focusing on Cities, and let my vassals trade castles, it got alot easier. Like, I said, I was doing alot of annoying trading before, and during that trading, I'd have one or 2 other factions declare war on me, and I'd have to finish up, make peace, and go to the other side of the world, to take back stuff, etc...
But, yeah, as soon as I said, ok, cities. I took two Southern empire cities, and basically broke them. was like 9k vs 9k power, after that 12k vs 7k. From that point on, I personally ignored the Southern empire entirely, and just let my vassals continue. And sturgian and Asarai were at about 8-9k. when BOTH were at war with me, it was a little dangerous, but still barely. when I would make peace with one, and push the other, it was a cake walk. basically just taking what I wanted, and maybe make peace if the other declared war again.
Occasionally, I would recruit a clan from a faction I am at war with too. Which can be a real backbreaker itself. if you recruit a clan that you are at war with, they take any fiefs they have with them.

if modded to allow giving ally commands, it'd be even easier. cuase honestly, the only real issue is vassals not defending, or being where they should at any given time. you give em a castle, and they don't defend it..

Had a big/scary fight yesterday. was sieging Ortysia. I had 700 or so. I had build trebs, etc, and were letting them go. broke down the walls.. but during that time, 2 350's man armys were chilling, looking at me. Plus several 59ish man parties... Then, just before the walls crack, an 800 man army shows up. oh shit... It was something like 1500 vs 700.

I don''t know how it chooses. But my pc can't handle it all so it throttles. I started with like 120 infantry, 120 archers, 9 cavalry, 4 horse archers. 250v250 I think. Which can be rough, considering my personal party is 384 atm. then, any ally parties as well. my armies are heavy batt archer, legionarre, and imperial equite, and bucellarii. so, having only 4 of my 45 Bucellarii(nevermind khans guard, etc), and 9 of my 40ish cataphract/banner knights ugh. like atm, im up to 33 fian champs, 9 fians, 3 heros, 7 highborn war. (+a bunch of other archers..) who know how many of those will actually load into the first round of fighting though, with 250 out of 700 though..
Still was able to position well, and control the fight. yes, most of the 1500 were garbage. They did have more horses on the field then I did at any time, till the end at least.

1104.jpg

So, atm, Aserai is at 4.5k power. while I focused on Southern empire, and taking Phycaon, Onira, and Danustica, Aserai actually took Lageta, Ortysia, Charas, Marunath, Pen Cannoc from me, sturgia, and Vlandia. I turned back, and pushed back both sturgia, Aserai. Took Seonon from Sturgia, as well as Car Banseth, a few castles like Gersegos. made peace with them, and pushed Aserai out of Battania, western empire, and vlandia. Taking Ortysia, and killing that huge army broke them. and, as noted, I recruited a former empire clan, that had joined them.. and stole Charas with them. Aserai went from 9k to 4.5k. I can basically ignore them now. my vassals should be able to handle them.
Sturgia is still at 9k atm. still slightly dangerous. but the goal was never extermination. just united empire/battanian. so, this is more or less the victory condition. I can defend my borders. I never even intended to take so much Vlandian territory. they kept attacking me...
Utheliam castle would realistically be a strategic grab, as it gaurds a key mountain pass between my cities of Epicrotea, and seonon.

Some things I've noticed. milita vets are actually pretty good.*(look at their stats. 200 in bow/spear.) Bucellarii are vastly better then palatine guards. and most other t5 archers are as well.
Palatine guards LOOK cool, and have the best armor. but, look closely, they have a shit bow, and 1 quiver. most other t5 archers, have 2 quivers. Bucellarii included.
(thats where Im at for my PC too. 1 bow, 3 quivers.)

Best horses... tyal and battanian thoroughbred. Ive only seen one battanian thoroughbred. im not even sure where I got it. never seen one for sale. tourneyment? beating a battanian lord in war? only t4 horses I've seen.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
how close are you to conquering the world now? Is it getting harder as you get further along?

I'm hoping they release the patch that makes lords train a bit harder before forming up armies and marching to the enemy. In my current playthrough I'm rolling with the Khuzait and we've got a bout 1/3rd of the world. I want to duck out and start my own kingdom soon. I'll probably start in Sturgia.

That's my experience as well. I'm at about 1/4 to 1/3 and it seems like it just a matter of time already. I regularly whip armies 2x my size or more. Sometimes several in a row.

Early on, it looked like the kingdom I joined was going to fold though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
as soon as I realized I need to personally be focusing on Cities, and let my vassals trade castles, it got alot easier. Like, I said, I was doing alot of annoying trading before, and during that trading, I'd have one or 2 other factions declare war on me, and I'd have to finish up, make peace, and go to the other side of the world, to take back stuff, etc...
But, yeah, as soon as I said, ok, cities. I took two Southern empire cities, and basically broke them. was like 9k vs 9k power, after that 12k vs 7k. From that point on, I personally ignored the Southern empire entirely, and just let my vassals continue. And sturgian and Asarai were at about 8-9k. when BOTH were at war with me, it was a little dangerous, but still barely. when I would make peace with one, and push the other, it was a cake walk. basically just taking what I wanted, and maybe make peace if the other declared war again.
Occasionally, I would recruit a clan from a faction I am at war with too. Which can be a real backbreaker itself. if you recruit a clan that you are at war with, they take any fiefs they have with them.

if modded to allow giving ally commands, it'd be even easier. cuase honestly, the only real issue is vassals not defending, or being where they should at any given time. you give em a castle, and they don't defend it..

Had a big/scary fight yesterday. was sieging Ortysia. I had 700 or so. I had build trebs, etc, and were letting them go. broke down the walls.. but during that time, 2 350's man armys were chilling, looking at me. Plus several 59ish man parties... Then, just before the walls crack, an 800 man army shows up. oh shit... It was something like 1500 vs 700.

I don''t know how it chooses. But my pc can't handle it all so it throttles. I started with like 120 infantry, 120 archers, 9 cavalry, 4 horse archers. 250v250 I think. Which can be rough, considering my personal party is 384 atm. then, any ally parties as well. my armies are heavy batt archer, legionarre, and imperial equite, and bucellarii. so, having only 4 of my 45 Bucellarii(nevermind khans guard, etc), and 9 of my 40ish cataphract/banner knights ugh. like atm, im up to 33 fian champs, 9 fians, 3 heros, 7 highborn war. (+a bunch of other archers..) who know how many of those will actually load into the first round of fighting though, with 250 out of 700 though..
Still was able to position well, and control the fight. yes, most of the 1500 were garbage. They did have more horses on the field then I did at any time, till the end at least.

View attachment 264404

So, atm, Aserai is at 4.5k power. while I focused on Southern empire, and taking Phycaon, Onira, and Danustica, Aserai actually took Lageta, Ortysia, Charas, Marunath, Pen Cannoc from me, sturgia, and Vlandia. I turned back, and pushed back both sturgia, Aserai. Took Seonon from Sturgia, as well as Car Banseth, a few castles like Gersegos. made peace with them, and pushed Aserai out of Battania, western empire, and vlandia. Taking Ortysia, and killing that huge army broke them. and, as noted, I recruited a former empire clan, that had joined them.. and stole Charas with them. Aserai went from 9k to 4.5k. I can basically ignore them now. my vassals should be able to handle them.
Sturgia is still at 9k atm. still slightly dangerous. but the goal was never extermination. just united empire/battanian. so, this is more or less the victory condition. I can defend my borders. I never even intended to take so much Vlandian territory. they kept attacking me...
Utheliam castle would realistically be a strategic grab, as it gaurds a key mountain pass between my cities of Epicrotea, and seonon.

Some things I've noticed. milita vets are actually pretty good.*(look at their stats. 200 in bow/spear.) Bucellarii are vastly better then palatine guards. and most other t5 archers are as well.
Palatine guards LOOK cool, and have the best armor. but, look closely, they have a shit bow, and 1 quiver. most other t5 archers, have 2 quivers. Bucellarii included.
(thats where Im at for my PC too. 1 bow, 3 quivers.)

Best horses... tyal and battanian thoroughbred. Ive only seen one battanian thoroughbred. im not even sure where I got it. never seen one for sale. tourneyment? beating a battanian lord in war? only t4 horses I've seen.
That 700 vs 1500 sounds like an epic fight. You should record those fights in OBS and post them. I actually really like watching people's huge bannerlord battles.

re: units, this is the best breakdown I've seen:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xWOFTn9bb8h81qGPDN1rB7yPu_dBhseA54ism6F8ANM/edit#gid=1551033002

Note that one side effect of my playthrough with 35 immortal SSS rank companions is that I can roll up to a city, siege it, mongol-circle-strafe the defenders that sally out to meet me and then skip the normal siege mechanics. I did the exact same thing in Warband too, just without the mounts (since you'd go into the castle/town scene for the sally-out battle). This is of course cheating because you should have that many companions but you can also do the same with 35 khan's guard, and while you'll lose some of them, if you're good at circle-strafing it's not that risky to them.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Note that one side effect of my playthrough with 35 immortal SSS rank companions is that I can roll up to a city, siege it, mongol-circle-strafe the defenders that sally out to meet me and then skip the normal siege mechanics. I did the exact same thing in Warband too, just without the mounts (since you'd go into the castle/town scene for the sally-out battle). This is of course cheating because you should have that many companions but you can also do the same with 35 khan's guard, and while you'll lose some of them, if you're good at circle-strafing it's not that risky to them.

Can you tell me how to lift the companion limit?

Would like to do a similar game.

Caliane

i've never had the a.i. sally out vs me. I guess I just run too many attackers.

Companion A.I. I did notice my on foot companions seem to get 20:1 kills glaive and/or 2 hand., while my horse glaive/bow ones only seem to get a few. 5:1.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can you tell me how to lift the companion limit?

Would like to do a similar game.
I used dnspy and a previous form of this:

But this mod looks pretty popular too:

I think you can also use the console to spawn companions, I'm not sure.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
i've never had the a.i. sally out vs me. I guess I just run too many attackers.
It's not as deterministic as warband was. Sometimes I'll roll up to a siege with my 36 person party and immediately they'll sally. Other times they'll take a few days and sometimes they never will. If they don't sally I can't beat them, so I have to make trebs/cats to destroy their defenses and weaken them. It takes a while to build siege stuff with only 36 people, which is a big problem if you're going to build stuff and not just immediately go at it and at that point it's better to go grab my main force from my castle.

It seems like around 200 defenders is a threshold for whether they'll sally reliably.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I used dnspy and a previous form of this:

But this mod looks pretty popular too:

I think you can also use the console to spawn companions, I'm not sure.

Thanks man.

Wish they put the mods on the steam workshop, but whatever.

Caliane

It's not as deterministic as warband was. Sometimes I'll roll up to a siege with my 36 person party and immediately they'll sally. Other times they'll take a few days and sometimes they never will. If they don't sally I can't beat them, so I have to make trebs/cats to destroy their defenses and weaken them. It takes a while to build siege stuff with only 36 people, which is a big problem if you're going to build stuff and not just immediately go at it.
Seige A.I is pretty dumb. I bet you could take em with just 36 companions, even without breaking down a wall, etc. A few seiges have arrow barrels to refill... I have no idea what determines which do or do not. that last Ortysia siege for example, did have them. So I could shoot 100 shots.. then refill. order your troops to stand back, and can personally massacre 50-100 defenders on the wall. (im not sure why your char does so much more with bow then mine. you have much higher bow skill? im at like 120 atm.)
so you can have your companions do the same. archer group em, and tell them to hold back. or, just you personally shoot. and then climb a ladder, clear a spot and let them go to down. esp with the dumb defense A.I. standing at the gate waiting for nothing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Seige A.I is pretty dumb. I bet you could take em with just 36 companions, even without breaking down a wall, etc. A few seiges have arrow barrels to refill... I have no idea what determines which do or do not. that last Ortysia siege for example, did have them. So I could shoot 100 shots.. then refill. order your troops to stand back, and can personally massacre 50-100 defenders on the wall. (im not sure why your char does so much more with bow then mine. you have much higher bow skill? im at like 120 atm.)
so you can have your companions do the same. archer group em, and tell them to hold back. or, just you personally shoot. and then climb a ladder, clear a spot and let them go to down. esp with the dumb defense A.I. standing at the gate waiting for nothing.
Yeah I haven't really strategized a good siege strat up but from my experience what you describe sound about right. The siege AI is just not ready yet. Frankly I think it's one of the big things that Bannerlord might not get right ever, because the engine just isn't designed to do cover fire really well.

In an ideal siege situation you'd have every archer hiding behind the merlons or shooting out of murder holes / arrow slits, and they'd absolutely be trashing every soldier that go in range. If they haven't built a system that forces this yet, they probably will need to before anything works all that well.

My bow skill is over 200 atm. I also use this mod:

But nerfed it heavily so the gain is more modest than whatever they have. I don'tk now what I edited it to, but for bows I was more focused on improving the accuracy so the bow was similar to how it was in warband. Having a huge reticle on a horse is boring as an archer because you don't need to aim because you can't aim.

Caliane

re: units, this is the best breakdown I've seen:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xWOFTn9bb8h81qGPDN1rB7yPu_dBhseA54ism6F8ANM/edit#gid=1551033002

Also, I'm not sure on that google sheet exactly. im playing live not beta. it lists different stats for the vet militia I was talking about.
and I did misspeak on the 200 stat, thats foresters/arboreals, but vet militia do have 150 bow/spears.
these guys have 2 quivers for 54 shots vs palatine guards 24. and, 150 bow, 90 1-handed. 120 athletics. and much less armor. but, they are better pure archers then t5 units. and technically they are t4 units, way better then other t4.
vet-militia.jpg

vet militia spearmen are the same, with 150 1h, 2h, and polearms, as well as 150 athletics. pretty solid. but weak armor probably makes them less ideal. While the archers can get away with glass cannon.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
hmm

I also want a lightsaber.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
hmm

I also want a lightsaber.

The GoT ending we deserved.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Why you say this? I've been using Aserai for all my dudes. Highest speed I think? T5 or T6.

Thanks man.

Wish they put the mods on the steam workshop, but whatever.

Bannerlord Nexus. Most (all?) Mods you just download and put the folder in the Modules folder. Bannerlord tweaks had an in-game menu for customization.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I was wrong, Aserai is only T4 too. Oops! The Nahasawi horse is a T4 that is better than Aserai in all stats though.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I'd been trying to go the honorable and merciful route on this playthrough and had not been executing any lords. Finally came across a guy who was a Grade A Asshole and decided to kill him. I also installed the LordLoot mod so that I'd get his shit. Totally worth it. Now I am killing all the assholes.

• 1Solidarity