Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Caliane

yeah, I didnt use the community patch yet. as, the patches were coming in so fast, I didnt want to have to try and keep track of what was officially fixed, vs fan fixed. avoiding any double dips.
like the exp buffs of bannerlordtweaks.

Haven't touched any unit stat fixes either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
huge patch

For Singleplayer, most important bit is

• Lord parties have more experienced troops and fewer recruits. They also use their party size limit as much as possible.
  • Parties do not recruit prisoners of defeated parties if they are at their party size limit. This was causing some AI parties to lose their better troops because of desertion.
  • The escape chance of prisoners is reduced by 25% when they are in mobile parties. It is reduced by 50% if they are at the player's settlement.
Armies
  • Armies with little food now return to settlements more frequently rather than continuing their hostile plans and losing troops due to starvation.
  • Parties and armies with a high wounded ratio now prefer resting in settlements more frequently to heal their troops.
  • Sometimes army member parties were attacking parties more powerful than them assuming their army would help, however, they were not attached to the army leader yet and assistance from the army did not occur. This bug was fixed.
  • While heading to a settlement, NPC parties sometimes also visit other settlements they are passing nearby on their way. This results in better recruitment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
haha my save game crashes whenever I tried to load with both 1.2 and 1.3 gamer version. RIP.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
New game!
It ended up being a mod I made to the spitems.xml in SandBoxCore. I also had to ditch my mods, destroy mconfiguration, load a really old save, then load my new one, and then save a new one and I'm good I think... Uploading a new video now :D

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I am shocked and aghast that Monchug did not award me Husn Fulq after I single-handidly captured it. I have no choice but to rebel and form my own kingdom after helping the Khuzait clear half the map.

1587793301322.png

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I am shocked and aghast that Monchug did not award me Husn Fulq after I single-handidly captured it. I have no choice but to rebel and form my own kingdom after helping the Khuzait clear half the map.

View attachment 265198

I haven't figured out if that AI is terrible or just taking the piss.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I am trying not to chime in too much about this since I am not playing and shitting all over the game serves no purpose.

But I have to ask, does the AI only seek and not pursue?
The AI does not properly handle horses it can't catch. Soldiers don't have true shield wall formations that would make the above strat a waste of arrows, archers can't properly aim for horses, the AI doesn't seek shelter and other cavalry that can't keep up don't try and box me in or cut me off.

All those things are non-trivial to solve. The shield formation is the best thing they should do, Brytenwalda had it. When soldiers find themselves getting arrow-fucked this is what they should do

Last edited:

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The AI does not properly handle horses it can't catch. Soldiers don't have true shield wall formations that would make the above strat a waste of arrows, archers can't properly aim for horses, the AI doesn't seek shelter and other cavalry that can't keep up don't try and box me in or cut me off.

All those things are non-trivial to solve.

Gotcha.

I only ask because one of the most basic AI steering behaviors is to use pursue instead of seek when trying to catch something. Seek points towards where something is currently whereas pursue points to where it is likely to be in the future (there are different ways to calculate this, but the most basic one of velocity * time works surprisingly well).

It is pretty trivial to implement, maybe some modder could do it? I don't know how sophisticated their modding system is or how it interacts with the AI but if the game already uses standard steering behavior logic it is like 3 lines of code to implement.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Gotcha.

I only ask because one of the most basic AI steering behaviors is to use pursue instead of seek when trying to catch something. Seek points towards where something is currently whereas pursue points to where it is likely to be in the future (there are different ways to calculate this, but the most basic one of velocity * time works surprisingly well).

It is pretty trivial to implement, maybe some modder could do it? I don't know how sophisticated their modding system is or how it interacts with the AI but if the game already uses standard steering behavior logic it is like 3 lines of code to implement.
That wouldn't work because horse AI is too terrible right now :D

Besides, if their horses were able to intercept me it'd just save some time because my long glaives are overpowered. One strategy I use against horse archers is to exploit the zone boundaries, box them in and then annihilate them with my superior weapon choice of swinging polearm. this saves me a lot of time because I don't have to deal with their cavalry later

Denaut

Trump's Staff
That wouldn't work because horse AI is too terrible right now :D

Besides, if their horses were able to intercept me it'd just save some time because my long glaives are overpowered. One strategy I use against horse archers is to exploit the zone boundaries, box them in and then annihilate them with my superior weapon choice of swinging polearm. this saves me a lot of time because I don't have to deal with their cavalry later

Smart. If only you were around to advise Crassus ;)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Though the default behavior of spear/lance cavalry to get a running start and then take one swing at soldiers and run away would be the ideal way to handle bow cavalry like the above video. If they could intercept with hit and run attacks it'd be the ideal foil for this.

Caliane

well square formation does work very well vs horse archers. A.I. is only ok at best using terrain to mess up horses. it DOES do it. but not nearly as well as a human does.
he didnt scroll down, so Im not sure what exactly the enemy was fielding. But, this is also his elite companions vs regular units, even if they were his upgraded t5, they'd still be well understated vs compaions pushing 200+. possibly running 3 quivers.

A.I also breaks its morale too easy. so, often gets routed super fast from that.
So the A.I, will usually square formation up vs horse archers. But, then not have a proper full cadre of units, so not really match the player 1:1. other units, without sheilds, or bows to fire right back, will get routed and break. the archers who unless are equally tiered, (aka, fians) will not be able to lead and match the horse archers 1:1, and also break eventually.

battanian fians in a square formation will massacre horse archers for example.

I think better units need to be more expensive. sure horse archers are already with mount/warmount costs, but I think it needs to be even larger. So its not 50 palatine guards vs 50 horse archers. its 100 palatine guards vs 50 horse archers.

There are of course further mods that address some of the problems. "armor does something", or "realistic battles"
Atm, there are 3 damage types. cutting, blunt and piercing. arrows, sword thrusts, pole thrusts, and lances/pikes are peircing. sword/axe/polearm swings are cutting. maces, rocks blunt.
all cutting does bonus damage to stuctures,shields. armor greatly reduces cutting.
all piercing does reduced damage to structures/shields. bypasses armor.
blunt is just 1:1 I think.

So, obviously theres a problem here. arrows, sword thrusts are treated the same as javalins, pila, and lances... the game doesnt care about heft, or weight.
So, arrows pierce right through armor like nothing. and pila, spears which are designed to pierce shields... are stopped dead by them.

"armor does something" simply swaps arrows to "cutting damage". this makes it so armor greatly reduces their damage. nerfing archers quite a bit. however, it has the problem of making arrows/ballista wreck seige weapons/barricades.

"realistic battles" is one Im considering trying.
it more directly modifies arrow damage from what I understand to be more physics based, and not use the bows listed stats.
it also, makes troops raise their shields in all formations. And modifies shield hit detection to be more visually correct. which actually leaves more gaps.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
well square formation does work very well vs horse archers. A.I. is only ok at best using terrain to mess up horses. it DOES do it. but not nearly as well as a human does.
he didnt scroll down, so Im not sure what exactly the enemy was fielding. But, this is also his elite companions vs regular units, even if they were his upgraded t5, they'd still be well understated vs compaions pushing 200+. possibly running 3 quivers.
Agree with basically everything you've said. Re: troop quality, it makes a huge difference, but ultimately the lack of good shield defense AI, archer AI and horse AI makes the above cheese very effective with companions or even mid-tier horse archers

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I used console commands to age my children from babies to adults and now my savegame won't load :D

Good thing I made backups right before that, but I was hoping to raise a family and I don't have 18 years to sit around to do it.

Maul

Dental Dammer
The performance of this went to utter shit with the 1.3 beta patch, just a slideshow in my huge battles now, was rolling with everything maxed out at 3440x1440p and 1000 units before just fine. No idea what they fucked up!

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yeah past patches have fucked something for me then fixed it in the next patch. Had CPU throttling to 100% after 15 mins on a previous patch.