Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So submitted a ticket about not being able to login via app or browser. I can change pw via browser but finds no account with those credentials when i log in.

Month laterto my ticket they give me lame canned reset password. Thanks had that covered. Asked for cancellation no reply. Charged back 2 months for affected time.

Got billed again today. No phone numberto be found. Useless web ticket submitted.

Other than charge backs, know if i can block charges orgo after them better than this? BBB complaint at this point.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’m not familiar with how BBB works. I thought BBB was Yelp before the Internet?

OneofOne

It is. They blackmail companies into a subscription type plan, so that you may have better options to retort against complaints. Total scam.

And companies like mine take their complaints seriously enough that we actually respond to them /headdesk

Sludig

Took me 3 months to get a cancelation, even contacted before this months billing cycle they still only cancelled not refunded despite unable to use for months. So many chargebacks for my bank.

spronk

FPS noob
AMC intro'ing their own service starting next tuesday. $20/mo, get 3 movies/week repeats allowed, 2 hour wait between tickets so you can't buy 2 to the same show, AND it allows dolby/imax/3d which is pretty huge. each of those is $14-16 around me and up to $20-23 in other markets, i'd definitely go to a lot more dolby screenings if i can pay $20/mo for 3 tickets/week.

UqElCst.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Some big MP moves today

They are going to intro Surge Pricing, charging more ($2 it sounds like) for "popular" movies for monthly subs. Annual subs excluded?
MoviePass is going to introduce surge pricing on popular movies by July

They will also roll out "bring a friend" and upgrade options for IMAX/3D in late August.

They also are in the process of raising $164m in debt by selling preferred shares to investors
MoviePass majority owner Helios & Matheson's stock slides after company says it will issue $164 mln in convertible notes

And finally they issued official SEC filings that said they lost $40m in May (thats after sub revenue, so if they made $30m in subs they spent $70m on tickets for a $40m net loss), expect to lose $45m in June, and expect they will need an additional 1.2 billion (BILLION) to "succeed".
MoviePass' monthly losses ramped up to $40 million in May, and the company says it might need over $1.2 billion more in capital

Been fun riding the MP train while it was good but I'll be cancelling my two subs in the next few weeks and switching to AMC A-List the second it becomes available next week. I'm not paying $2 extra to see a movie every time on opening week.

Goatface

wonder how AMC is doing that.
afaik, theater agreement with most big movies is no discounts for 1st week. think longer for Disney
so if you go see next stars was 3x opening week, they would be out $30-45?

i know they make most of there money from concessions, but don't think people would be consuming that much if going on the regular

spronk

FPS noob
alamo drafthouse is going to start beta testing their own sub service
https://drafthouse.com/victory/seasonpass

I wish I had an Alamo Drafthouse near me, I've gone once in Austin and it was a fucking amazing experience/theater/food

oon9ia9tj6611.jpg

AMC A-List starts tomorrow. I'm sure Regal has something up their sleeves

E6yLDjX.jpg

• 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
looking forward to AMC. All the Alamo Draft houses I've been to are fucking garbage. I hear Austin is what they are supposed to be but fall far short of.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Been to one Alamo Drafthouse. It was nice, but I didn't think it was anything special. The seats didn't recline, other than the front row. That sucked.

Goatface

space between the rows was about the best thing about the Alamo i went to.
i don't eat at theaters, but people i went with like the food, but spent a ton

Cinemark also launched a program, $8.99 for 1 2d ticket per month, no online charge, -20% off food and can buy addon ticket for $8.99

the problem, our local Cinemark only charges $6 for a 2d/nighttime/weekend ticket.
can get daytime tickets during the week for $4.50

spronk

FPS noob
Surge pricing starting today in "some" markets, tickets will cost more if they decide. why? fuck you, thats why
Introducing Peak Pricing

stock is at 19 cents, i fully expected moviepass to be out of business by end of june so they are still surprising me. a-list is pretty awesome, have my tix for Ant man tomorrow in dolby digital reserved, then will see skyscraper, equalizer 2, and mission impossible 2 to round out july. maybe a few of them twice.

• 1Solidarity

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
being able to reserve dobly seats has been great and made A-List pay for itself already.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Got this in an email from hem today.

Starting over the next few days, each time you purchase a movie ticket with your MoviePass card, you will be asked to upload a photo of your ticket stub. This photo needs to be uploaded before you're able to purchase your next movie ticket through MoviePass. You'll be prompted to submit the photo of your ticket stub through the MoviePass app. This feature will help us better track user behavior and ensure that subscribers are abiding by our Terms of Use. If you fail to submit your ticket stub more than once, your account will be canceled and you'll be ineligible to sign up for a new MoviePass account.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
man thats sounds like the easiest way to cancel an account. Fuck MP and their $0.19 stock.

j00t

i had to do that when i saw ant-man the other day. it wasn't really a big deal. the app has it's own camera, and you don't have to do it ASAP. just, before you use it again.

spronk

FPS noob
what'll make you cancel is their new surge pricing which will charge you an extra $2.50 - $4 (depending on your market) for movies. Skyscraper, Hotel Transylvania, and Ant Man 2 are all under surge pricing this weekend at various times, and in some markets Jurassic World 2 and a few others are as well.

Whats the point of moviepass if you end up paying $3-4 extra every ticket, A-List at a flat $20/mo PLUS IMAX/Dolby/3D PLUS repeat viewings PLUS advance seating is like a 1000 times better. Regal better get off their ass and introduce their own sub fee to catch all the people who are gonna be cancelling MoviePass over the next few weeks.

• 1Like

j00t

Surge pricing is only for full movies. Granted it sucks if you can only go to a specific showing, but if you have the free time, just pick a different showing

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Surge pricing is only for full movies.

I just took the kids to see Hotel Transylvania 3 today. Got charged surge ($4.20 per MP) on it and the theater was not full. Just about every movie in San Diego was marked as surge where I went today. Little by little each move they make has been souring me more and more towards moviepass. The wife told me to sign up with AMC, yeah you pay more but you don't have to deal with the headaches.