Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just took the kids to see Hotel Transylvania 3 today. Got charged surge ($4.20 per MP) on it and the theater was not full. Just about every movie in San Diego was marked as surge where I went today. Little by little each move they make has been souring me more and more towards moviepass. The wife told me to sign up with AMC, yeah you pay more but you don't have to deal with the headaches.

really? i'd definitely lodge a complaint. they clearly state that surge pricing is only for movies that are full or near full.

this is from the e-mail that was sent to me

"Peak Pricing goes into effect when there’s high demand for a movie or showtime. You may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid the surcharge by selecting a different showtime or movie."

i would just straight up tell them that because of their mishandling of peak pricing, you will be switching to AMC. see what they do for you. you have ALL the power in this situation. if they want to stay in business they absolutely cannot be chasing their customers away. they've gone on record saying that they need to keep a certain number of customers in order to be a successful business model and they've been struggling to achieve and maintain that number. tell them you're leaving, see what they do for you. if you don't like what they offer, just go to AMC

spronk

FPS noob
looks like tom cruise killed moviepass, rumor is they have run out of money and their debit card processor isn't processing any more ticket payments until they get paid

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
8jWOpRb.jpg

RIP MoviePass, long live A-List

• 1Worf

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I never had Movie Pass, but in the first month of A-List, I will have used it 10 times, with like 6 of those being in a Dolby Theater. So yeah, it's great.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
All the theaters I normally use all have peak pricing for any non-matinee now. $6 extra charge. Basically I have to see two movies a month now to break even which was easily doable this summer but might get tougher in the fall.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i thought they would announce they are shutting down the company today to be honest, instead they are saying they are going to raise the monthly price to $15, and not allow new blockbuster movies (any that opens in more than 1000 screens, which is like... 80% of new movies?) for at least 2 weeks, while keeping surge pricing. i don't really understand why anyone would stay subbed
MoviePass Accelerates Plan For Profitability

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Likely they are hoping people don't notice the price increase and don't bother to cancel when they run afoul of the limitations. Here in Boston even a 2D film is $15 a ticket, so seeing even two movies of any kind a month is more than worth the price of A-list

Last edited:

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Probably banking on their shit CS wven it took me almost 3 months to get cancelled with them.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
lol, this headline/quote: MoviePass: “Yes, We’re Going Through A Rough Patch … Just Like Uber Did"

Industry vets and consumers alike have been pronouncing last rites for the service, but the official message today repeated its earlier insistence that everything is going according to plan.

“This is exactly the attitude the taxicab industry took when Uber entered their market,” said the press release, which did not quote any executives. “Overall, we believe as much as 6% of the industry’s total box office receipts can be traced to our loyal subscribers. It’s clear that because of MoviePass, more people are seeing more movies at fair prices. Instead of wishing us away, the industry, particularly the independent film producers, should be congratulating and supporting us. Absent MoviePass, exhibitors are fighting to preserve profits in a declining box office environment. That’s the doomed strategy.”

It added, “Yes, we’re going through a rough patch not unlike what other disruptive enterprises experienced in their early days. Much of our issues can be attributed to the unprecedented growth in a business that just 12 months ago did not exist.”

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So they're a company that offers no more than the new competing startups and are likely going bankrupt. Gee, I wonder if people should just choose something else...

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Thank you MoviePass for starting, what is hopefully, a continuing trend.

Sleep peacefully, you beautiful knight.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I killed my account also the weekend of Mission Impossible when I couldn’t use it.

Giving it a few weeks before we remove the sticky from this thread.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'll be sticking with MoviePass for now because the movies I like to see are all at different theaters chains, and MoviePass is the only one I know of that works with any theater.