Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From a slickdeals post. No idea is this is correct or not.

How it works: (I've used this years ago - it appears to be the same).

1. You can NOT order or pre-buy tickets at home or online, especially for assigned seating theaters.
2. You must wait for the MasterCard to show up before you can use the service.
3. You must "check-in" to the theater when you are physically in the parking lot or very near the theater.
4. At that point you can use the physical Mastercard to purchase a movie ticket at the actual theater.
5. THIS IS NEW - You must take a photo of the ticket stub of verifying your purchase with their card.
6. You go watch your movie.

So TLDR
Assigned seating - happens at the theater purchase - can't order ahead of time unless you actually go to the theater and buy the tickets well before the show.
Have to use smartphone to check-in at theater, make purchase, then scan ticket.

MoviePass: Watch One Movie per Day at Participating Theaters $10/Month

Goatface

5. THIS IS NEW - You must take a photo of the ticket stub of verifying your purchase with their card.

what i read this started in January for some people. looks like most of them are power user, 150-200+ movies per year.
but they have relaxed some of the rules, so could be them trying to reign in exploiters.

people talking about shopping around for the highest prices to get the most reward points and stuff is sorta crazy
but looks like it can pay off.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
what i read this started in January for some people. looks like most of them are power user, 150-200+ movies per year.
but they have relaxed some of the rules, so could be them trying to reign in exploiters.

people talking about shopping around for the highest prices to get the most reward points and stuff is sorta crazy
but looks like it can pay off.
Are there even 200 new movies out in a given year?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So, I'm guessing they will be operating at a loss if it essentially works like a Debit Card? Anyone with any other ideas/information on how this will be sustainable for the actual company? Or is this probably strictly a "Play the long game, force theaters to bend to their will" after they see how many more customers it brings in? I'm guessing they'll make some of that up by selling customer data as well.

Signed up, fuck AMC.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
well fuck me. AMC is blocking this and it's the only thing close to me and i maybe give a shit about 3 movies each year. unless its a christmas release i want to see then this wont help me. if AMC was on board i could see myself going a few times a month just to see something, anything. 10 bucks a month is easily worth the price if you go to the movies regularly. i used to pay for one, but would usually sneak into other theaters and score 3 and sometimes 4 movies in a day. stupid pimply faced ushers dont give a fuck about their jobs enough to notice you.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Maybe they just thought middle aged theater hoppers are to pathetic to harass.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Interesting, I guess it's a Marqeta based system - I was doing some stuff like Postmates while looking for more permanent employment like I've got. And they've got something called Marqeta that they preload based on GPS coordinates for you to use as cash when you're doing their orders for the system.

If it is, yea, I see no way that AMC can fuck with it. Especially odd thing with it, is from my understanding theaters get basically nothing from the door sales anyways - they get all their money really from concession sales, which this should help.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It's a stupid position for AMC to take. They're still getting full ticket price and this service will only increase people buying shit at the concession stands. They would only stand to make money on this. Not sure why they would bother giving a shit if this service fails in 6 months or not.

Goatface

can not access the map now
did it change or do you need an account to get to it?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm confused why everyone bumrushed this system rhe first day like y'all gonna hit up 30 movies this month. Didn't even let the dust settle

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
can not access the map now
did it change or do you need an account to get to it?

Yeah, it's just redirecting me to their front page now. I refuse to sign up before I get to see where I can use this in my area. Hopefully they just killed the map to free up resources for that flood of people yesterday and they bring it back soon.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm confused why everyone bumrushed this system rhe first day like y'all gonna hit up 30 movies this month. Didn't even let the dust settle

My thought is that they're probably going to use the initial on-rush for attention then yank prices up after they can say how popular they are. I don't imagine it'll be much of one, but still I expect to see it being $15-20/mo in short order, so I see myself as getting a cheaper trial period by getting in early on.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
My guess is that AMC is just upset because they're developing their own pass system in house for AMC theatres and don't want Moviepass to become hugely successful before they can enter the market.

spronk

FPS noob
the site is down now completely

AMC and other big chains are against this because

(1) it would give vast power to MoviePass if they hold "captive" a big chunk of their monthly revenue. If say 30% of theater viewers are MoviePass people, then MoviePass has a lot of negotiating power and can drop theaters that don't work with them on pricing/profit sharing, etc.
(2) it creates an expectation in consumers minds that movie tickets are now no longer "worth" $20/ea but only worth $10/mo. Once a few million people get used to that, if MoviePass goes away or the price changes people are gonna be pissed at MoviePass but also theaters. You are essentially de-valuing your product.

Every entertainment industry has suffered through this and movies are no different - Netflix devalued the VHS tape from $80/ea to $15/mo, Spotify devalued the music CD, amazon devalued everything, and now MoviePass is going to devalue the price of a movie ticket.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How is this remotely profitable at $10 a month? Is their business plan to supposed to be the same as gyms? Hope people forget about it after signing up.