Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
More like one person would spend $50 and we'd all torrent it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
didn't realize some studios were still trying to work out a service to download movies opening weekend for $30-50 a pop

this next few years could be interesting

I'd pay $50 to watch a new release movie in home no problem. I'd never go to the theatre again (only go once every few months at most anyways).

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Damn I'd love this. $50 is mehhhh, but I could definitely drop $30 for stuff I really want to see.

Depends entirely on how big your family/viewing audience is, really - if you do like "Superball Party" shit sized groups, even $50 is a no-brainer. And man, those Mormon families with like 10 kids will be saving money hand over fist.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
it does NOT work for alamo drafthouse or the AMC inside Universal theme parks
Just as a follow up to this, it DOES work for Alamo Drafthouse according to Moviepass. It even works for the weird indie theatre that's in the bar district that only shows movies I've never heard of and weird livestreamed plays.

I'll probably go ahead and sign up because $120 / year seems about what I pay for tickets now looking at my budget, except this would potentially let me see a lot more. Like weird random indie movies I've never heard of down by all my favorite restaurants :p

On the topic of showing old films, it's really studios that are to blame for that, like almost every problem with modern consumer use. Studios are so stuck in the old days of having all the power. Theaters are doomed if things like Moviepass don't work, ironically, and things like Moviepass would work way better (for theaters, not for Moviepass) if theaters start to show more previous releases.

Edit: On the other topic of Blockbusters and those types, yea again an example of studios screwing themselves in the end. I know someone who worked at a Blockbuster and towards the later days they would just go across the street to Best Buy to buy new releases to rent out, because the studios wanted them to pay like $30-$50 per DVD to preorder them. To rent them out on same day as the retail release. Pure idiocy.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
MoviePass Says It Passed 150,000 Sub Target After Price Drop Publicity
In the two day period after the movie ticket subscription service announced a drop in price to $9.95 a month, it raised its sub level to more than 150,000, passing the target set for late 2018, according to data firm Helios and Matheson Analytics which agreed to buy MoviePass. It had about 20,000 subscribers in December, when the cheapest package cost $14.95.

Two unnamed theater chains that have partnership agreements with MoviePass “reported outstanding attendance by MoviePass subscribers.” Over six days ending August 20, one saw MoviePass attendance grow to 4,137 from 206 the previous week. The other chain was up to 1,795 from 203.

I can do almost everything in the app now - see theaters and movie listings near me, see the last four digits of my MoviePass card in my profile - except actually buy a ticket. Hopefully my card arrives today, then I'll go see Bodyguard and Lucky Logan today and tomorrow before they roll off the "good screens".

Vaclav

Guess they're still getting my area entered into the app - I see my card on the app but still no dice on theaters etc.

Vaclav

I got it like the 2nd day it was announced for 10.

Then you should be good to get it before then. That's the ETA for people that didn't get in Tues or Wed. It's unclear how much before then, but the week of Sept 6th ETA thing was for people that didn't get in the first 2 days.

Vaclav

Theaters showing on mine now... getting excited... (something to take my mind off the health worries tonight would be awesome - mail gods please deliver our cards today!)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
are you sure you guys didnt get played with this? you get your pass after all the summer blockbusters are released and you pay 10 dollars a month for the next 8 months of horrible b movies. can the rates go up by next memorial day?

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Theaters showing on mine now... getting excited... (something to take my mind off the health worries tonight would be awesome - mail gods please deliver our cards today!)

Nice mine too, now. Even as of last night they weren't. August 15th was my sign up date. No card yet.

Vaclav

are you sure you guys didnt get played with this? you get your pass after all the summer blockbusters are released and you pay 10 dollars a month for the next 8 months of horrible b movies. can the rates go up by next memorial day?

Shrug, there's enough movies that aren't good enough to pay full price for to me, but I'd see discounted to easily justify it up until Thor 3 to me. And winter will have at least one movie a month to have it break even. Ad nauseum.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Shrug, there's enough movies that aren't good enough to pay full price for to me, but I'd see discounted to easily justify it up until Thor 3 to me. And winter will have at least one movie a month to have it break even. Ad nauseum.
but are these movies you would go see anyway? i would go just to watch something to rationalize the ten bucks a month, but i dont see myself doing it otherwise. i also dont buy concessions because i would either smuggle in my own food or ya know, just not eat for 2-4 hours.

Louis Louis
but if they doubled in price and restricted times to only matinee hours and some theaters start blocking you completely?

spronk

FPS noob
the way it works theaters can't really block you, they give you a mastercard debit card which they load with the ticket amount - its a two step buy process, you "buy" a fake ticket on the MP app which loads the debit card, then you have to buy a real ticket in the theater using the MP debit card. Theaters would have to block ALL mastercard's and they aren't gonna do that.

Moviepass will eventually run out of money and probably bill you $10 for the last month and you can't use it, thats pretty much the extent of the rip off scenario. Also after a month or two I could see them telling people they can't see more than 5 or 6 movies a month, which is still worth it to me.

also with Dec being the "oscar movies getting shoved out" month, it'll be a great month to see shit i'd never pay for, assuming MP is still around then

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user