Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
How is this remotely profitable at $10 a month? Is their business plan to supposed to be the same as gyms? Hope people forget about it after signing up.
somebody like me who sees maybe 3 or 4 movies a year would only bring in maybe 40 bucks a year. if i had a year long sub, then i bring them 120 bucks a year whether i go see a movie or not. if i do go movies to rationalize the cost then it increases the chances i will buy their overpriced concession goods. its basically a steady income for movie theaters for doing nothing different.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
it just is a front end someone wrote for moviepass's actual data, so its 50/50 on whether the MP site is working or not. try it late at night or early morning, hopefully MP gets their stuff working again in the next few days

interview with the MP CEO, they got hundreds and hundreds more times signups than they expected lol. Also why they don't expect AMC to be able to block them (they use mastercard debit cards, AMC would have to stop accepting mastercard)
MoviePass Leaders Talk AMC Legal Threats, Overhauling the Movie Business

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
AMC is stupid as shit. They still get paid for the movie tickets and they will get a lot more people going to the movies.

• 1Solidarity

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
AMC is stupid as shit. They still get paid for the movie tickets and they will get a lot more people going to the movies.

Moviepass: "Hey, here's free money"
AMC: "Nah.... money sucks"

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
movie theaters really dont run a good business model as it is. if i owned a theater, i would just show classic films in the best resolution and sound that modern technology could supply. who here wouldnt want to see the chariot scene from Ben Hur the original way it was intended?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I wouldn't. Debbie Does Dallas in Dolby Digital and Atmos so I can hear the cum shots fly over my head? Count me in!

• 1Worf

Goatface

what i understand it is a pita to get the rights to show old movies

most all digital licenses are already sold, so have to get original film the get the rights.
then it looks pretty shitty, unless real lucky

Palum

what Suineg set it to
the site is down now completely

AMC and other big chains are against this because

(1) it would give vast power to MoviePass if they hold "captive" a big chunk of their monthly revenue. If say 30% of theater viewers are MoviePass people, then MoviePass has a lot of negotiating power and can drop theaters that don't work with them on pricing/profit sharing, etc.
(2) it creates an expectation in consumers minds that movie tickets are now no longer "worth" $20/ea but only worth $10/mo. Once a few million people get used to that, if MoviePass goes away or the price changes people are gonna be pissed at MoviePass but also theaters. You are essentially de-valuing your product.

Every entertainment industry has suffered through this and movies are no different - Netflix devalued the VHS tape from $80/ea to $15/mo, Spotify devalued the music CD, amazon devalued everything, and now MoviePass is going to devalue the price of a movie ticket.

Bro VHS tapes were not $80 in the late 90s.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
movie theaters really dont run a good business model as it is. if i owned a theater, i would just show classic films in the best resolution and sound that modern technology could supply. who here wouldnt want to see the chariot scene from Ben Hur the original way it was intended?

My biggest issue is they are all priced around the same (especially within brand) but some theaters are complete dogshit quality. If I'm going to spend $30-40+ food for two people to watch a movie, your fucking armrests better not be hard plastic and your legroom better not be out of a Delta A320 coach seat.

It's just insane cost for mediocre experiences in 90% of movie theaters. It's Disney pricing for Six Flags tickets during the local school districts spring break. Fuck that noise.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
what i understand it is a pita to get the rights to show old movies

most all digital licenses are already sold, so have to get original film the get the rights.
then it looks pretty shitty, unless real lucky
i'm sure some deal could be made with studios for them to get more money from old classics they werent getting shit from anymore. the quality is not too much of an issue as a lot of the old widescreen films are filmed in 75mm or larger so you can see the high res. check out a blu ray copy of Patton sometime and be prepared to shit yourself.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob

Oh if you lost a blockbuster VHS tape they certainly charged you $80-100 for the replacement fee. I will always remember this because I fucking gave a blockbuster VHS tape of Sixteen Candles to a girl I liked in high school and the bitch pretended like I never did and my dad beat the ever living shit out of me and he took away my Turbografx 16 and sold it to pay for the tape.

But it made me stronger and made me realize that you can't buy love

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Vaclav

I was working for Blockbuster at roughly that time - mid 90's I think is when I left - we absolutely paid those sorts of costs before the wholesale discounts for every single brand new video in there. (for "first run" VHS that is - there were redistributes that happened like 6-12 months later where they were reasonable though)

Vaclav

No wonder blockbuster died rofl

Yea, I was just a kid at the time (I was done about a year before leaving for college) - but with what I know now of business - the minute the movie houses stopped doing the 6-12 month exclusivity window, the writing was on the wall.

Making me think back to it, it rather surprises me that Redbox can make the numbers work, but I guess the near zero overhead since it's like 1 employee for 100 boxes and minor rent payments to the places they're located helps a ton. I'd really be curious to see what the numbers they actually pull per "Redbox" actually is though, I'd not be surprised if plenty just barely break even with the low overhead.

spronk

FPS noob
on GAF some people who signed up when the deal went up got their cards today, it has MoviePass on the envelope. No reports yet how to make it work, even when I sign into the app it says No Reviews under the MoviePass entry under My profile.

Goatface

saw a couple of stories saying that the moviepass new causes some of the big chain's stock to drop another 4-8%

some theaters come out in support of it, didn't see anymore complaining

didn't realize some studios were still trying to work out a service to download movies opening weekend for $30-50 a pop

this next few years could be interesting

Louis

Trakanon Raider
didn't realize some studios were still trying to work out a service to download movies opening weekend for $30-50 a pop
this next few years could be interesting

Damn I'd love this. $50 is mehhhh, but I could definitely drop $30 for stuff I really want to see.