Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
but are these movies you would go see anyway? i would go just to watch something to rationalize the ten bucks a month, but i dont see myself doing it otherwise. i also dont buy concessions because i would either smuggle in my own food or ya know, just not eat for 2-4 hours.

All stuff that I'd be planning to see on DVD/TV when they came around to either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Louis

Trakanon Raider
@Chukzombi If they managed to do that I'd have issues and would cancel no doubt, but as Spronk said it's basically impossible for them to. Being that I live 30 yards away from the theater I actually rather the matinees because I usually have the theater to myself for the most part.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Fuck yeah, just got my MoviePass card!!! App seems to already be working for me now, but I have to be within 100 yards of a theater to "buy" a ticket. Gonna head out to see Hitman's Bodyguard in 20 minutes I think. no wait scratch that I'm gonna see Baby Driver in 2 hours, the ticket would normally cost $15 SO IM ALREADY SAVING MONEY FUCK YEAH

This weekend at AMC if you buy a ticket to Baby Drive you get a free digital download of the movie too, not bad at all.

I ordered within 2 hours of the announcement on 8/15, got the welcome to MoviePass email on 9am and my debit card has a 8/24 expiration date. My wife ordered one the next day and she hasn't received hers yet, I'd expect it tomorrow or monday.

I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS EXCITED SINCE I GOT AN ARTIFACT IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have to admit I would have gotten this at $15 a month. Didn't even know about it till it went viral at $10.

Vaclav

Have to admit I would have gotten this at $15 a month. Didn't even know about it till it went viral at $10.

Pre-viral version it apparently was quite a bit more limited - I'm not sure if it would've been palatable previously for me or not.

spronk

FPS noob
Just got back from Baby Driver, enjoyed the movie but I'd rate it closer to 8/10 than the 9.5/10 so many critics seem to. I upgraded my stubs to premium or whatever for $15/yr before I went, so I get the extra perks (not that great really but the 100 point multiplier will be worth it long term).

Was able to "check in" with the app in the parking garage, no issues and didn't ask me to activate or anything. Selected the movie and the time I wanted, it told me I had 30 mins to buy a ticket.

Used the AMC automated kiosks to buy a ticket, it let me enter my AMC stubs account number during movie selection and seat selection, but when it came time to pay MoviePass only covered $10.50 out of the $15.49, I had to pay the extra $4.99 myself as others have had to in other moviepass threads on slickdeals/etc. Kept my receipts so I can ask CS about it, just something to keep in mind if the movie price on fandango/etc doesn't match other showings. One easy way around this woulda been to cancel and just select another movie that I know is $10 or less, but I didn't want to "cheat" the theater so I paid the $5.

The amc stubs extra program is pretty lame, you get a free popcorn refill but haveta buy a reusable large container and a free soda refill but I don't wanna get fat going to movies so won't be bothering with that. Their new "gourmet" food looks meh, I tried the cheap $3 pizza (on sale) and it wasn't very good, wouldn't buy it again especially at the regular price of $8 or whatever. From now on just a bottle of water for me.

Got the full $15 ticket value in AMC stubs which added another 1500 points, every 5k points is $5 so every 10 or so movies is gonna generate a free "real" ticket for me, really hard to beat that and will be great to reserve 2 advance tickets for $$ when Star Wars 8 starts selling tickets.

All in all loving MoviePass, hope AMC doesn't figure out a way to block them and hope they can figure out a way to stay in business. I'd pay up to $20/mo to stay in it, especially if I can churn $20-30 of free AMC crap a month.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That's a slightly promising review.

I'd probably be interested in a 10/mo thing for the lady and I, but honestly the gimmick bullshit of this and the inevitable theater war seems less appetizing.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AMC did something crazy and told cashiers to refuse it and then installed k-cup 2.0 style scanners on their card readers to compare the pictures on the front of cards and rejected anything with the movie pass logo on it.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
That kind of tech would cost a preposterous amount of money to implement to prevent themselves from... making more money. So I really doubt it.

Vaclav

That's a slightly promising review.

I'd probably be interested in a 10/mo thing for the lady and I, but honestly the gimmick bullshit of this and the inevitable theater war seems less appetizing.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AMC did something crazy and told cashiers to refuse it and then installed k-cup 2.0 style scanners on their card readers to compare the pictures on the front of cards and rejected anything with the movie pass logo on it.

Problem with that is it would have to default to generic passing - Or refuse all MasterCard , so even if they did do it - masking tape over the logo would fix it.

I used a Marqeta card for my side job (Postmates) while I had been waiting for a real one, and none were able to "block it". We were on the honor system to not go to a place once one opted out - But it was still possible.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from Baby Driver, enjoyed the movie but I'd rate it closer to 8/10 than the 9.5/10 so many critics seem to. I upgraded my stubs to premium or whatever for $15/yr before I went, so I get the extra perks (not that great really but the 100 point multiplier will be worth it long term).

Was able to "check in" with the app in the parking garage, no issues and didn't ask me to activate or anything. Selected the movie and the time I wanted, it told me I had 30 mins to buy a ticket.

Used the AMC automated kiosks to buy a ticket, it let me enter my AMC stubs account number during movie selection and seat selection, but when it came time to pay MoviePass only covered $10.50 out of the $15.49, I had to pay the extra $4.99 myself as others have had to in other moviepass threads on slickdeals/etc. Kept my receipts so I can ask CS about it, just something to keep in mind if the movie price on fandango/etc doesn't match other showings. One easy way around this woulda been to cancel and just select another movie that I know is $10 or less, but I didn't want to "cheat" the theater so I paid the $5.

The amc stubs extra program is pretty lame, you get a free popcorn refill but haveta buy a reusable large container and a free soda refill but I don't wanna get fat going to movies so won't be bothering with that. Their new "gourmet" food looks meh, I tried the cheap $3 pizza (on sale) and it wasn't very good, wouldn't buy it again especially at the regular price of $8 or whatever. From now on just a bottle of water for me.

Got the full $15 ticket value in AMC stubs which added another 1500 points, every 5k points is $5 so every 10 or so movies is gonna generate a free "real" ticket for me, really hard to beat that and will be great to reserve 2 advance tickets for $$ when Star Wars 8 starts selling tickets.

All in all loving MoviePass, hope AMC doesn't figure out a way to block them and hope they can figure out a way to stay in business. I'd pay up to $20/mo to stay in it, especially if I can churn $20-30 of free AMC crap a month.

The nice thing about premier is it has seperate lines for concession and ticket purchase which for busy times is awesome and I think you csn get a free size upgrade on drink cups. Your concession purchases add points too I've gotten several rebates and I dont think ive been to 10 movies yet.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That kind of tech would cost a preposterous amount of money to implement to prevent themselves from... making more money. So I really doubt it.

Never doubt how much money stupid companies will spend.

Anyway, we'll see. If this lasts a month or two and gets favorable traction here then I may try it out.

spronk

FPS noob
They got $21m in "investor" funding in a way to shore up their finances before doing another round of financing in the public market, I remember reading about maybe they will file for an IPO soon. Assuming that happens, it'll raise another $150-200m which is enough cash to cover at least six months of funding stupid fuckwits like me using it way too often. Their business model is sort of a race between running out of money and getting enough subs to force Movie theater chains to do business deals with them.

I'm sure there will be some big blowout between AMC and them sooner or later but I think it should be pretty safe for the rest of 2016.

Also I found out why I paid an extra $4.99, turns out upscale movie stuff like Dolby Cinema, DBOX, IMAX, etc is not supposed to be covered. It automatically rejects 3D screenings in its app but is not very good about knowing about the other kind of theaters, and the Baby Driver I saw was Dolby Cinema. Some dude bought a $40 ticket to the McGregor/Mayweather fight today lol, people were telling him if he doesn't cancel it (no way too though) his account will get banned.
Are there any restrictions?

I don't mind paying the extra $4.99 myself and passing that along to the theater, but in the future I'll be mostly seeing regular theater screens (or go to a diff local chain which doesn't do dolby) and use the reward points I get to see opening night premium theater movies with advance purchase.

Great thing is once my wifes card comes I can go in daily to AMC, buy a fake ticket with her card (she only wants to see "good" movies, what a sucker!) and double dip those AMC points. You will need two smartphones for that though or I guess login/logout.

Vaclav

Great thing is once my wifes card comes I can go in daily to AMC, buy a fake ticket with her card (she only wants to see "good" movies, what a sucker!) and double dip those AMC points. You will need two smartphones for that though or I guess login/logout.

Wife busier than you or something? Why not just take her with?

And yea, my list has IMAX's and shit that are clearly banned as buyable right now.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm curious why they don't just cover their own "regular" cost of the ticket and let you pay the difference. Too confusing for consumers? Too much of a hassle for the theater? I can buy discounted "gold" tickets from work but they only ever cover base cost so if I take them to 3D or IMAX I just pay the difference, which is fine. I'm not much for 3D anyway but if I ever did want to see something, I'd rather still be able to (partially) use the MoviePass

Vaclav

I'm curious why they don't just cover their own "regular" cost of the ticket and let you pay the difference. Too confusing for consumers? Too much of a hassle for the theater? I can buy discounted "gold" tickets from work but they only ever cover base cost so if I take them to 3D or IMAX I just pay the difference, which is fine. I'm not much for 3D anyway but if I ever did want to see something, I'd rather still be able to (partially) use the MoviePass

It sounds like that's what they did for spronk - I can't imagine they're going to hassle him over it, and I'm sure if they do, he'll report back.

spronk

FPS noob
Wife busier than you or something? Why not just take her with?

she's one of those women who can't sit and concentrate on one thing for more than 15 mins so she rarely goes out to movies and will usually go with her friends and they sit and chat the entire time which drives me fucking nuts since I hate people who talk in movies. i download a lot of bollywood and japanese/korean movies for her and she loves watching them while chatting on the phone or working on her laptop

used moviepass again today for terminator 2 3D, again I had to pay an extra $2.50 cuz moviepass only paid up to a certain amount but i don't mind at all, especially since its not supposed to work on 3d movies and stuff but the app let me "check in" for it. i can think of a lot of ways to abuse this shit, like tell moviepass you are gonna buy a $15 ticket in the evening and instead buy two $6 matinee tickets (have to go to the theater early though to "buy" your tickets). The rewards stuff is fantastic though, in just 2 days I've gotten $15 of AMC points and I've spent $7.50 oop, could have been $0 if I didn't go for dolby/3d.

lotta cool movie stuff going on around my area too the next few weeks, like randomly Spy Who Loved Me is showing tomorrow, then a few studio ghibli (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle) next week, and of course most of the Marvel MCU movies are being replayed this week and next although they are greyed out for me in MoviePass (not much interest in rewatching anyways).

Goatface

is it capped per ticket or are the tickets you buying more than other showings at that time?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
spronk spronk I got my card, I want to see T2 in 3d but it doesn't show up in my app. If I buy another ticket will I be able to show up to the theater, apply that credit against the ticket then pay the difference?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It seems unclear if it works for just $10 of "unapproved" ticket types or if it shouldn't work at all and it's just a glitch given the wording. Unless there's a new clarification.

Vaclav

I think it's just some theaters not being entered or checked manually yet that you can do that ATM.

For my theaters around me, all the major chains have special movies removed - it's only our small chain and local theaters that still have ones that show.