MTG: Arena

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say that. It is the full Standard constructed gameplay experience, and limited. Hit the control key and you have full control over timing and every action.

Honestly, I hate saying it, but I think having a ladder actually captures the original spirit of paper MTG a lot better than the paper game in its current form. You can play with whatever shitty deck you can throw together and get paired against similar players.

Having played MTG in paper or digital forms over 25 years, I was prepared to hate this release and I can't. I mean, it sucks that Standard cards are dumbed down so much that it allows for a game like this to exist, but the dumbing down of Standard started a long time before Arena was conceived.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say that. It is the full Standard constructed gameplay experience, and limited. Hit the control key and you have full control over timing and every action.

Honestly, I hate saying it, but I think having a ladder actually captures the original spirit of paper MTG a lot better than the paper game in its current form. You can play with whatever shitty deck you can throw together and get paired against similar players.

Having played MTG in paper or digital forms over 25 years, I was prepared to hate this release and I can't. I mean, it sucks that Standard cards are dumbed down so much that it allows for a game like this to exist, but the dumbing down of Standard started a long time before Arena was conceived.

Thx for the comments. I haven't played physical MtG in about 6-ish years and this could almost get me to play again. Game was too damn expensive but this seems to fill the need pretty well. The only three things I hate so far are the usual screw/flood, the extreme unbalance between opponents you play(I've played several top standard decks lately), and the ability of opponents to use the timer to troll. None are as game breaking as the Hearthstone experience right now, so I guess I'm sticking to this.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

ya you're definitely right, I more meant just in the way cards are gathered and draft rewards ect. I assume they'll never allow trading on this platform.

I played mtg as a kid a lot and played the fuck out of mtgo as an adult, but this is much more my pace ect I think

still could get a little spendy for a nub going after certain decks

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
just got this in my email:

Direct Challenge: Coming November
We're breaking our own rules a bit by announcing a feature before we've nailed down the exact release date. Why the change? Because playing with friends is one of the most asked-for feature requests, and we want to affirm that when we say it's our #1 priority, we mean it.

Currently, our goal is to include this as part of the November update. And yes, 'should' is the operative word right now, with our ultimate goal being 'sometime in November'. While the exact date for that update is "to be confirmed", this isn't something you should expect next year, or even by the end of the year. The ability to play against your friends is coming, and it's coming soon.

Custom Streamer Events Start Tomorrow
Each month, we hand select a few creators in the community and build a customized event around their personality and play style. We make the events available in-game for a weekend. This provides unique play experiences and an awesome way to find in-game creators and get to know them better.

When is this new initiative starting? Tomorrow, with Day[9]'s Insta-Ban and Gaby's Greedy Dominaria Draft.

How do we choose our Creators?
There is no application process to be considered for Streamer Events. Our goal is to select a mix of creators—from the most popular to the rising stars we see potential in. Every month we will work with more creators. So, if you don't see your favorite creator in our lineup yet, you may in the future.

See you in the game!

descriptions from following the links:

DAY[9]'S INSTA-BAN
We're giving Constructed new house rules with Day[9] (twitch.tv/day9tv). Day[9] has always had a burning displeasure for counters and tricks. So together we created INSTA-BAN, where you bring a 60-card deck with zero instant-speed spells in it. That's right, all instants and cards with flash are banned from this event!

GABY'S GREEDY DOMINARIA DRAFT
We're giving Draft new house rules with Gaby Spartz (twitch.tv/gabyspartz). Gaby loves drafting and building ambitious decks. So together we are running a GREEDY DOMINARIA DRAFT. Draft 3 packs of Dominaria around a few unique rules in this game of Magic.

PLAY TWO LANDS PER TURN
START WITH NINE CARDS
NO MAXIMUM HAND SIZE

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
If you enjoy draft, this game is great. I am getting to draft a couple times a week while building a collection completely f2p. If i have a bad draft or two, i can grind up enough gold in a few days with a fast red deck or dino deck with adding just a few wildcards. I am really happy with this so far, almost exactly what I wished was available while wasting a year playing hearthstone.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I enjoy draft. but the draft shuffler seems to fuck me six ways from sunday far to often for my liking sadly.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
If you enjoy draft, this game is great. I am getting to draft a couple times a week while building a collection completely f2p. If i have a bad draft or two, i can grind up enough gold in a few days with a fast red deck or dino deck with adding just a few wildcards. I am really happy with this so far, almost exactly what I wished was available while wasting a year playing hearthstone.

I'm rusty as hell at draft but will be doing the same thing. I'm playing a decent RW lifegain deck but it's incredibly weak against the better decks. Hoping to get some dinos saved up.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
quick question, with the drafts is it like hearthstone where I can stop and go, or do I have to play through the whole "tourny" like traditional mtg?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
You can play as you please. Though they rotate so finish before the timer runs out.

WTB Ixilan draft rotation. I need more dinos and the dom set is way too slow for me to enjoy.

• 1Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
quick question, with the drafts is it like hearthstone where I can stop and go, or do I have to play through the whole "tourny" like traditional mtg?
Its stop and go like hearthstone, hope they add a real time one sometime though. Because the draft AI needs some serious work.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I cant catch any draft signals with the AI. I swear its like drafting with 5 kids all trying to jam 5 color good stuff haha. Does anyone have any insight on how it picks?

This Dominaria format does seem super slow, most of my games are going like 20ish turns with huge boards of ground creatures that we cant attack each other with until some bomb can cut the stalemate.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
This Dominaria format does seem super slow, most of my games are going like 20ish turns with huge boards of ground creatures that we cant attack each other with until some bomb can cut the stalemate.

Yeah I've had more long games in this format. Even watching good streamers who are trying to make aggro happen they still take forever.

Unless I'm on my last loss for an event it's a free win for any player I'm against that runs control or spends their entire rope thinking/being salty since I'd rather concede and get into a game that ends by turn 10 or so tops.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I cant catch any draft signals with the AI. I swear its like drafting with 5 kids all trying to jam 5 color good stuff haha. Does anyone have any insight on how it picks?

Arena AI sucks noodles and will basically bend to your will if you force color pairs. This was exceptionally true for Ravnica draft, where if you just slammed dimir or boros picks or whatever for your first 5-6 picks you'd be getting passed shit like Aurelia and Doom Whisperer pick 3+.

Only done two Dominara drafts so far and the AI doesn't seem to be all that much better here either. Just take your bombs > removal and stay in a lane early and the AI will mostly let you do whatever you want.

Karsten has a pretty decent rough outline of pick orders if anyone is totally new to Dom draft:

An Early Pick Order List for Dominaria

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They also launched this at a great time. Dominaria and Guilds of Ravnica are both absolute knock out sets.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Guilds draft is pretty stale, but that is largely due to the piss-poor AI. It's a lot more fun in person or on MTGO where you have actual reasonable people drafting with you.

They also basically had to launch at the time they did due to the standard rotation. It gives them a full year+ to figure out wtf they are gonna do when half peoples collections become near useless. I fully expect "Arena Modern" to be a thing before October next year, maybe going as far back as Origins/M15.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I doubt that was their only motivation. Artifact would be another reason they needed to release. That game has a lot of promise but I am concerned with the limited amount of deck possibilities that Arfifact might get old a lot faster than Arena until they get a few sets out.

I am trying to get up a good deck for the new Insta-ban format. There are some tier ones that get a lot stronger with this format. Creature enchantments and weapons are stronger due to the inability to remove the creature before applying. I considered still trying a White/Red/Blue even without counterspells and lightnings it is still potentially strong but graveyard shenanigans is real.