MTG: Arena

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Man, I want to dive into this game but I don't want to. How do you even do that? Where do you even start? Magic has like a 30 years worth of content and how much of that is in this game? It just seems so overwhelming.

I played a few games of it (red/blue burn deck) when I was a kid so I know the basic mechanics but that's it. I don't know how to draft, build decks, or pretty much everything you guys talk about.
MTG has 25 years of content, and this game has the past 18 months. Don't worry about it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Ok, I'm getting into it. Which packs should I buy and which to avoid?

They're all decent when you're first starting out, really. I've been focusing on the Ixalan packs since I'm working on a vampire deck and a dinosaur deck, Dominaria might be a stronger overall choice. Really tho there's no outright loser among them.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ok, I'm getting into it. Which packs should I buy and which to avoid?

Since all sets have some bomb rares that are desirable for decks I would suggest starting with the sets that contain the good dual lands. GRN for the shock lands, Ixalan and Dominaria for the check lands. M19 would probably be the one set I would avoid, but it´s not awful either. I recommend trying to get all the dual lands as that really opens up your options for building consistent decks that arent just one color.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Stay away from M19 packs, the set really doesn't offer much of anything that is good overall. Its easier to just use wild cards for anything you might need from it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah merfolk can be stupidly powerful. the aggro of a strong mono-red deck with the "fuck you" control of blue...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Started putting together a black/blue surveil deck but Thief of Sanity has been carrying it so I might change focus to general draw and control...

Thief of Sanity is incredibly fun and strong, totally worth the wildcards.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Man, I don't understand the "quickmatch" match maker at all. On my F2P account was using default merfolk and got paired with a guy who only played dual/check lands, two planeswalkers and a settle the wreckage (which he tired to bait me into, and then timed out raged when I didn't fall for it). Oh and his name was CuckSquadTeamLeader

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I was struggling initially with the free mono-blue deck. I then switched to the red/black sacrifice-type deck and I could barely pull out a win. I don't know if I was playing it wrong or something, but it felt very weak. I then tried the black/white vampire deck and I am just chugging my way through bronze. Super strong deck. The mono-black zombie deck was also strong.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game but it needs more drip-feed after you run out of quests. MGTA is already leagues above HS in terms of generosity but just a bit more would be perfect.

Are the daily card rewards purely RNG? I pulled out an immortal sun and a couple of streamers were using it/saying it was really strong so I'm glad about that.

Is there any reason for a newb like me to play the specialized modes? I feel like I would be slaughtered if I did.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't pay any attention to your rank. I bounce between bronze 2 and silver 3 depending on if I'm brewing or being a try hard. It is pretty broken overall though since sometimes a win makes me decrease, sometimes a loss makes me increase etc.

If you're going to play mono decks then mono blue tempo, mono green stompy and mono black burn are all pretty solid.

U/G Merfolk, B/W Vamp, G/B Saprolings are all decent decks that are given to you that need minimal changes.

As far as events I mostly do constructed since I'll usually get 5+ wins easy to farm gold to do draft. The other events aren't really that great rewards wise, but are fun change of pace.

And everything is RNG. If you want something specific spend your wildcards 😎.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I always get my ass beat in constructed but do well in standard ladder play... I think maybe I just choose bad times to play with too many diehards.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was watching Jim Davis' stream, some guy beat his ass with a G/W deck explore deck based on multiple copies of Path of Discovery which just beats the ever loving shit out of G/B. It had a full playset of wildgrowth walkers for life gain vs red/stompy/boros etc and then carnage tyrant + immortal sun to shut down all the control b/g and jeskai planeswalkers. Looked really fucking good, he commented how good it was as well. An end of turn decent sized March of the Multitudes with path of discovery down is game ending right there on its own.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trying to find that deck list. I am missing Immortal Sun but could get one tommorrow. I am pretty sure I would have the rest of it.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea similar, didnt see Adanto Vanguards in his list though. Think he ran carnage tyrants main