MTG: Arena

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
What's cancer about it? The gimmick was such a non issue in all games I played.

Took me slightly longer to finish than the last one and that is because I didn't insta concede one game to a 3feri coming down, but still under an hour playing a vamp deck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah this event was actually kind of interesting. I only played 6 games and 5 of them involved both sides playing field of the dead decks, but that was to be expected

Del

Vyemm Raider
Only played 2 scapeshift decks for the event. Beat them both times. Went 6-2 with my somewhat mediocre Temur Hydra deck. Both losses were to cavalcade of calamity decks. Went 1-2 against those.

Rime

<Donor>
I am a cranky old person and hate new decks, of course.

Mostly, the only method I have met to work against Scapeshift or field of the dead decks are heavy aggro. Mind, I have not done any great research into it, so there are probably other options, but I am a Timmy at heart.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Played Heroic Reinforcements WW, only lost to Scapeshift.

Convoke is beastly, and so are hasty tokens.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
didn't want to netdeck, so i did the event with Hero of Precinct One based Selesnya tokens/proliferate strategy, 6-0. got pretty nutty with all the Plant tokens on top of the Human tokens. WotS Ajani, Venerated Loxodon, Pledge of Unity, and Unbreakable Formation for the +1/+1 counters. Huatli's Raptor and Evolution Sage for Proliferate. the Selesnya Ravnica split cards and Knight of Autumn for utility and HoPO triggers. only had 20 gold cards for HoPO but it felt alright with all the Plant tokens. Llanowar Elves because i stick them in almost anything green and i wanted to be able to ramp into Ajani on turn 3.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Only played 2 scapeshift decks for the event. Beat them both times. Went 6-2 with my somewhat mediocre Temur Hydra deck. Both losses were to cavalcade of calamity decks. Went 1-2 against those.

hey what's your decklist look like, man? i'm still mostly doing Simic Hyrda for BO1, same decklist as a page or two back but +3 Rabid Bites and -2 Hungering Hydras and that weird single Leyline of Anticipation i had in there as an experiment

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
ronne ronne am i playing you right now? haha i've got Simic Hydras. the ronne i'm playing has some sort of Gruul list it looks like. i ended up getting the win by sneaking some Nissa lands past with enough mana up for Leyline of Abundance to put a couple +1/+1 counters on my attackers.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Article said:
ronne ronne It's a difficult problem to tackle, but to do so, we're changing how Wildcards work for Historic cards. Starting after an update in November, crafting a Historic card will require you to redeem two Wildcards of the appropriate rarity instead of one

RIP any hope of a viable eternal format on arena, fucking wankers.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Mother of God

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
the whole article was doing so well up until the "double wildcard cost" horseshit.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rime

<Donor>
Eh. They will walk back the double-wildcard, so everyone misses out on the 'Only way to purchase historic packs is in 45 Pack Gem bundles'.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I look forward to the day when I can craft a Black Lotus for the very affordable price of fifty mythic wildcard redemptions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I swear every game company needs an 8 year old on staff to run ideas by. Don't rely on them to produce good ideas, just use them to check for "Are you fucking retarded?" ideas.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
ronne ronne am i playing you right now? haha i've got Simic Hydras. the ronne i'm playing has some sort of Gruul list it looks like. i ended up getting the win by sneaking some Nissa lands past with enough mana up for Leyline of Abundance to put a couple +1/+1 counters on my attackers.

ronne ronne wasn't you?^

shit does he have me on ignore? lol

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
anywho, came to tell a quick story, playing a cheesy Chandra Cavalcade of Calamity deck on the ladder just for shits and giggles since i don't think i can rank up before the season is over. I ran into a guy playing some sort of Orzhov Control, was going pretty effectively for him... he managed to get out an Ethereal Absolution, which is pretty much game over for a Cavalcade of Calamity deck of course, since it relies on 1/x creatures and EA gives all my creatures -1/-1. the only creatures bigger than 1/1 in my deck were Chandra's Spitfire, which i hadn't seen yet all game, and Chandra's Embercat which he had trapped behind an Ixalan's Binding, so i couldn't play the second one that i had sitting in my hand. he was probably feeling pretty snug, but i thought about it, and realized i could win with just Chandra planeswalkers. got out the trifecta of Chandra, Acolyte of Flame, Chandra, Fire Artisan, and Chandra, Awakened Inferno. most of the damage ended up coming from Chandra, Fire Artisan, Awakened Inferno only got out one emblem before getting removed. ended up winning after a few turns.

tl;dr -- dude got out Ethereal Absolution against my Cavalcade of Calamity deck, i managed to still win with just Chandra planeswalkers.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
and for the update....

"newbies might waste wild cards on old cards, so we're going to double their price."

yeahhhhhh not buying that. if the newbie is so dumb that they buy Historic cards, then they're probably dumb enough to spend two wild cards to do so...

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"gee, this card must be great if it costs 2 wild cards!"-a new player crafting a terrible lifegain card, probably

• 1Worf

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
The double wild card is just going to help kill that historic format, along with not adding Kaladesh+Amonkhet, and only doing 45 card bundles (should still let people get packs).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users