MTG: Arena

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I'm ok with 45 card bundles for old stuff.
I think double wild cards for standard rotated shit is retarded.

What I think they should do is sell a Modern Horizons style set that goes directly into historic. Those and only those can cost double wild cards.
Market it as a premium set with higher power level cards for historic to justify the cost.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Did 15 Drafts in Omni today... Dropped 20k gold, came out ahead in gems. Feels good man.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Card Draw->Stompy->Removal, honestly. The 6/5 Menace red dinosaur, the 5/5 Black Deathtouch... both commons and good quality. I saw way too many people trying to do swarms or token generation. It is all stompy. Only had two Mythic cards the entire time. The Blue Cavalier once and the Legend that lets you play legends from the graveyard (garbage).

If you can get a Spectral Sailor, grab that sucker also. You can get a free card out of it each turn.

Common cards were my MVPs every time. Inspired Charge. Act of Treason.

Dragon Mage can be crazy fun as well, but really is a 'win more or die' sort of card.

A big thing is that the NPCs in the draft seem to really ignore heavy CMC creatures in the common slot.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Decided to start playing this yesterday. Haven’t played MTG in Like 20 years. I’m still good on basic Magic mechanics, but I’m a little lost when it comes to deck building, different game modes, and the best way to approach arena. Things like the mastery pass, the best way to approach any money I want to spend, wild cards, crafting, etc... are confusing me. Can someone point me towards a good guide and deck building resource?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Decided to start playing this yesterday. Haven’t played MTG in Like 20 years. I’m still good on basic Magic mechanics, but I’m a little lost when it comes to deck building, different game modes, and the best way to approach arena. Things like the mastery pass, the best way to approach any money I want to spend, wild cards, crafting, etc... are confusing me. Can someone point me towards a good guide and deck building resource?
Spend your gold on drafts. Get good at drafting.

Mastery pass is okay if you're going to grind the whole thing out.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
mastery pass is good value if you can get to a pretty high level, you don't need to hit 100 to make it worth it, but you do want to get reasonably deep.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Mastery pass was worth but once you hit max level it kinda sucks. Because the mastery pass replaced the weekly free pack rewards. So now I have pass maxed with three weeks until next one goes live. So I'm sorta being punished because I plowed that $30 into leveling the pass. I would say buying initial pass is worth it but save money on leveling it tell the very end of the pass.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks guys. Any suggestions on good websites or guides for deck builds?

The best decks are changing on a weekly basis. Articles and Magic: the Gathering Articles are good for the weekly shifts. For a brand new player, tho, the general advice is to build Mono Red or Mono White. Mono red is often called "red deck wins" or "rdw" for short, mono White often called "white weenie.". https://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks is a great resource. They are a database of every deck from every official tournament. They even list how many Wildcards it takes to make any given deck in arena. I'd try to find a Mono Red build that placed well in a recent tournament and go from there.

Really the best advice tho is past your initial competitive cheap deck, save your wild cards til you know FOR SURE what you want to build.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Thanks guys. Any suggestions on good websites or guides for deck builds?

Also, for the love of God, don't spend wildcards on the rotating set cards. You probably know this, but just wanted to give you a hard reminder.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Don’t they all rotate out eventually, or do you just mean the ones that will rotate out next month?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The best decks are changing on a weekly basis. Articles and Magic: the Gathering Articles are good for the weekly shifts. For a brand new player, tho, the general advice is to build Mono Red or Mono White. Mono red is often called "red deck wins" or "rdw" for short, mono White often called "white weenie.". https://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks is a great resource.

This is good advice.

Not only are mono red and mono white both very strong, they also finish games quickly, which is a huge benefit while grinding for stuff.

Rime

<Donor>
Not sure if it would be worth getting the Mastery Pass this late into the season.

Throne of Eldraine comes out the 4th of October (assuming it releases physical and MtG:A at the same time), which gives you only 30ish days to grind it.

30 Dailies at 500xp a pop is 15,000xp. Five resets is 65 wins at 250xp, so another 18,750xp. The LevelUp game code is still available, for another 2,000xp. Which puts you at 35,750xp total or level 35 before the Mastery 'season' ends. As stated previously, it 'pays' for itself in terms of Gems-to-Packs ratio around Level 70. I do not think they will allow you to continue advancing the m20 one when Throne comes out, but they may.

---

I have not spent any money/gems in leveling the Mastery Pass and hit level 80 this morning. Assuming nothing catastrophic happens, it seems 'relatively' easy to max it out in a full season. I do believe we ended up with around 10,000xp bonus from events/codes, however, which means it would have been 'close' otherwise - with just 2-3,000xp beyond level 100.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Just had a dude who had the win in this draft event concede after going ape shit and drawing 20+ cards because I played two act of treason. Even though I needed a 3rd because he had a reach.

• 1Worf