MTG: Arena

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've only got about 30 matches in with this deck this season to get proper data, but i'm really starting to be one of the ones that believes there is some sort of deck matching going on in the ladder. i refuse to believe that it's otherwise possible 50% of the people i've played are playing this fucking Dimir Agent of Treachery deck that i CANNOT get away from.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
btw, speaking of that deck, i think i got my Simic Hydras deck to near the ideal configuration for current pre-rotation BO1.

Code:
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
9 Forest (MI) 0
3 Gargos, Vicious Watcher (M20) 172
3 Rabid Bite (M19) 195
4 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Leyline of Abundance (M20) 179
3 Island (MI) 0
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198

4x Llanowar Elves
4x Leafkin Druid
4x Paradise Druid
4x Risen Reef

4x Hydroid Krasis
4x Voracious Hydra
3x Gargos, Vicious Watcher

4x Leyline of Abundance
3x Nissa, Who Shakes the World
3x Rabid Bite
3x Veil of Summer

4x Breeding Pool
4x Hinterland Harbor
9x Forest
3x Island

the cards that are 3x instead of a full playset should maybe go +/- a single card, maybe 4x Nissa and 2x Gargos, 4x Veil of Summer and 2x Rabid Bite, not sure.

mulligan HEAVILY. turn three Nissa or Gargos is very doable. turn two Nissa is possible. favor Paradise Druids over Leafkin Druids if you have the choice, lots of opponents make it a priority to take out mana dorks ASAP.

speaking of, Risen Reef is almost more there to soak up removal than it is for its text and synergy with Leafkin Druid. most opponents figure you're playing the more Elemental heavy version of this deck and will try to keep Risen Reef from spiralling out of control. generally you're far better off with Reef dying and your dorks sticking around, especially with Leyline of Abundance down.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I posted this in other thread as well. The new Adventure mechanic. This feels like something that might get broken.

1567606895276.png

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck them. I would not have bothered with the pre-order but they had to add the gingerbread sleeve.

Also of interesting note, the store has some changes. The initial Golgari, Dimir and etc..Sets that had the special sleeves and avatars have been retooled. You can now just pay 1200 gems for the sleeves. The part that would irritate me if I had purchased the set is that you can get the avatars for ....3000 gold. I now will not even consider purchasing the sets as the Avatars and Sleeves are what make them, if I wanted them. The cards are Blah. I think they should have left the sets as sets but whatever.

Oh and this Planeswalker seems pretty damn good. 2 blockers instead of one.

1567620341173.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Fuck them. I would not have bothered with the pre-order but they had to add the gingerbread sleeve.

Also of interesting note, the store has some changes. The initial Golgari, Dimir and etc..Sets that had the special sleeves and avatars have been retooled. You can now just pay 1200 gems for the sleeves. The part that would irritate me if I had purchased the set is that you can get the avatars for ....3000 gold. I now will not even consider purchasing the sets as the Avatars and Sleeves are what make them, if I wanted them. The cards are Blah. I think they should have left the sets as sets but whatever.

Oh and this Planeswalker seems pretty damn good. 2 blockers instead of one.

View attachment 221685

Wow that seems really good.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah and for some reason i'm dumb enough to be playing the Esper deck lol. such long matches.

Sterling

El Presidente
All the decks have ways of going crazy, but the Jund deck is probably the best one. the going crazy and drawing a bunch of extra cards thing is just casting and attacking with your commander so there's far less hoops involved.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
This Kethis deck in standard can fuck off. It is such a fucking pain in the ass deck.

I make them play it all out, though, because fuck anyone who plays that deck. This is why new players fucking leave Magic.

• 2Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm finding myself playing this precon Brawl event even after getting my six wins. Am I a casual now?

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

The new standard event is making me go batshit

Here's some salt:

It is a pretty shitty bait-and-switch. The only people grinding this are people who actually paid for the mastery pass. Shitting on exactly and only your paying customers seems like a stupid thing to do, but WotC is a pro at that particular stunt.

It isn't like people wouldn't be grinding the shit out of it if it was just 200xp every 2 victories.

• 1Solidarity

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
It is a pretty shitty bait-and-switch. The only people grinding this are people who actually paid for the mastery pass. Shitting on exactly and only your paying customers seems like a stupid thing to do, but WotC is a pro at that particular stunt.

It isn't like people wouldn't be grinding the shit out of it if it was just 200xp every 2 victories.

Right here, brother.

90% of my frustration would go away if it were every two wins as opposed to consecutive: even that has been difficult due to the meta involved. Sholud be "paid mastery pass needs two nonconsecutive wins, free mastery tree requires two consecutive."

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Not to defend them, but anyone who has done the basic daily quests in a reasonable timeframe...will have mastery bonuses completely unlocked before the 26th. I'm not even doing that event just to ensure I don't have too many zero mastery reward days before the next expansion.

I'm on the opposite side of things. I find those rewards to be worthless and was hoping for better special events before release day. I know they will have the traditional 3 pack code but it would be nice to see a bit more than they've provided so far.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Not to defend them, but anyone who has done the basic daily quests in a reasonable timeframe...will have mastery bonuses completely unlocked before the 26th. I'm not even doing that event just to ensure I don't have too many zero mastery reward days before the next expansion.

I'm on the opposite side of things. I find those rewards to be worthless and was hoping for better special events before release day. I know they will have the traditional 3 pack code but it would be nice to see a bit more than they've provided so far.

That is even more of my problem. I've probably skipped a total of 6 to 8 daily quests in the whole three month period as well as completing every event and I'm going to wind up several thousand xp short of lvl 100. So not only am I a paying customer, I also play very frequently and yet it still feels like a punishment.

I feel for people who will hit 100 without any additional rewards available, but I'd prefer that to having to grind this shitty event for consecutive wins.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity