MTG: Arena

Sterling

El Presidente
Nope, this was always their "baseline" plan, just had to float more aggressive options and only retract as much as needed to shut up the spergs on Reddit.

They are 100% terrified of any kind of eternal format being popular and jeopardizing standard in any way, and always have been.
Well, standard and limited are where the majority of pack sales comes from so that's an obvious answer why. I mean they do masters sets and all that shit too, but even with the real high pack prices, that has to be a drop in the bucket overall.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
surprisingly high winrate (with a very small sample size so far :p) in the Ranked Standard 2020 event with this Jace, Wielder of Mysteries mill deck i brewed that's mostly blue and splashes green for Growth Spiral and Tamiyo....

3 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
3 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
2 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
2 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
3 God-Eternal Kefnet (WAR) 53

3 Drowned Secrets (GRN) 39
3 Radical Idea (GRN) 52
3 Unsummon (M20) 78
3 Callous Dismissal (WAR) 44
3 Arrester's Admonition (RNA) 31
3 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
3 Thought Collapse (RNA) 57

10 Island (ANA) 57
4 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244

i really thought it was just going to be jank level but yeah, just went 2-0 several times after struggling most of the day with other decks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As suspected, they made the changes people thought would happen given the outcry.

1568563127425.png

I wonder how many Wildcards got used for fear of the 2-1.

• 1Repost
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
As suspected, they made the changes people thought would happen given the outcry.

View attachment 223048

I wonder how many Wildcards got used for fear of the 2-1.

I'd say zero. Not only was this strongly suspected by most but they gave you until November until the changes would come into effect. With just a few weeks until the next expansion, why would you waste resources on a possible future months down the road when you could be using those resources on a completely new experience in a shorter timeframe?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd say zero. Not only was this strongly suspected by most but they gave you until November until the changes would come into effect. With just a few weeks until the next expansion, why would you waste resources on a possible future months down the road when you could be using those resources on a completely new experience in a shorter timeframe?

That is true. I did not even consider that.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
False. I used mine.

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Deal. I'm a shit drafter. I'm trying to learn, but don't have much time these days.

biggest thing you can do early on is install one of the apps (LotusTracker is the one i like) that gives you an overlay on the draft screen giving you the 0.0-5.0 rating of each card in the pack,

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
biggest thing you can do early on is install one of the apps (LotusTracker is the one i like) that gives you an overlay on the draft screen giving you the 0.0-5.0 rating of each card in the pack,

Thanks! I'll give this a try.

I used to do it when I did Hearthstone Arena, and that certainly made me a better drafter at that time. I didn't realize they had the same thing for MTG Arena.

I also watch Nummy and CalebD a lot, but not early in the new seasons so I don't get as much out of their knowledge as I could. Are there any streamers you guys recommend watching that are great drafters that also explain there choices?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

I used to do it when I did Hearthstone Arena, and that certainly made me a better drafter at that time. I didn't realize they had the same thing for MTG Arena.

I also watch Nummy and CalebD a lot, but not early in the new seasons so I don't get as much out of their knowledge as I could. Are there any streamers you guys recommend watching that are great drafters that also explain there choices?

i have never played Hearthstone, but from what i understand the MTGA tools for drafting are much less robust than the Hearthstone tools. Hearthstone addons updates ratings further in the draft based on what cards you've already drafted right? and stuff like that? MTGA overlays will just give you the ratings that someone like Luis Scott Vargas gives to each card when they write their draft review when new sets are released. so really it just saves you from alt-tabbing over to Channel Fireball or whatever, but still yeah that can save a lot of time.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente

Ben Stark, Deathsie, legendvd, insanehayne, msigrist, and andrewcuneo all stream very high level limited fairly often. Stark and legendvd in particular generally explain their picks and stuff so that could be really helpful if you're looking for pointers.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Made my way up to Silver 3 in 2 drafts today. Went 4-3 and 7-2. The 7-2 was with this trash:

Lands (17)
9 Plains
8 Swamp

Creatures (14)
1 Apostle of Purifying Light
1 Daybreak Chaplain
1 Griffin Protector
1 Griffin Sentinel
1 Hanged Executioner
1 Herald of the Sun
1 Moorland Inquisitor
1 Blightbeetle
1 Epicure of Blood
1 Feral Abomination
1 Gorging Vulture
2 Corpse Knight
1 Pattern Matcher

Spells (6)
2 Aerial Assault
1 Gods Willing
2 Raise the Alarm
1 Murder

Artifacts (1)
1 Ancestral Blade

Sideboard (21)
1 Disenchant
1 Glaring Aegis
1 Griffin Sentinel
2 Inspired Charge
2 Moment of Heroism
1 Moorland Inquisitor
1 Soulmender
1 Cerulean Drake
1 Portal of Sanctuary
1 Mind Rot
1 Goblin Smuggler
1 Ferocious Pup
1 Gift of Paradise
1 Howling Giant
1 Leafkin Druid
2 Mammoth Spider
1 Overcome
1 Stone Golem

My game is not bad, but my actual deckbuilding is not good.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
i have never played Hearthstone, but from what i understand the MTGA tools for drafting are much less robust than the Hearthstone tools. Hearthstone addons updates ratings further in the draft based on what cards you've already drafted right? and stuff like that? MTGA overlays will just give you the ratings that someone like Luis Scott Vargas gives to each card when they write their draft review when new sets are released. so really it just saves you from alt-tabbing over to Channel Fireball or whatever, but still yeah that can save a lot of time.
That's possible because hearthstone is like Fisher Price blocks compared to MTG especially limited.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

LiquidDeath

Standard 2020 Event just updated:

Up to 3 wins and 2 losses allowed.
1st win - 50xp
2nd win - 150xp
3rd win - 250xp

Seems like a fucking great change. Wish it was like this from the beginning, but now I can level up to 100 before Sunday and save my sweet xp for the new league.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I actually logged on to say this. I've been praising the game, but if i had a complaint it would be the mobs get blended into the environment at times.
More than once i had to stand up or move closer to see.
It didn't bother me, but the others didn't like it when i stood (even tho i wasn't obstructing their view)

hax

but yes