MTG: Arena

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I ran into another interesting deck. It's focused on making your opponent discard cards with an enchantment that makes the player take dmg per discard. It looks fun. Is that a free deck? It's blue-black.

Also, is there a hearthpwn type website that shows meta decks, etc?

Last edited:

Nabassu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I ran into another interesting deck. It's focused on making your opponent discard cards with an enchantment that makes the player take dmg per discard. It looks fun. Is that a free deck? It's blue-black.

Also, is there a hearthpwn type website that shows meta decks, etc?
MTG Decks Database

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
So 60-70% of my decks losses are to the fucking shuffler being shitty with lands (including draft, and not including mono red aggro).

And it burns real bad from the times I lose to drooling scrubs because of it.

• 1Worf

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You need to not play Magic if it bothers you that badly.

And it's nowhere near 60-70%, quit being a baby. If it's anywhere higher than like, 10% of your hands being non-functional, then you need to seriously re-evaluate the mana base in your deck. And no, having a few lands and the "wrong" spells is not the shuffler fucking you, that's just how variance works.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ronne you're full of shit.

Was watching a pro stream the other day where he got land hosed and they literally made fun of it being an "Arena hand".

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I played MTGA a bit during closed beta, decided to go back to Gwent, at least until Homecoming debuted. Homecoming isn't sitting that well with me, and the game itself seems dead(I'm in the top 10k just doing dailies and a losing record).

From my stint in closed beta, I remember them being a bit stingier with cards. Probably somewhere between Hearthstone and Gwent. Is this still the case?

If I wanted to give this another try, what's the best format to try?

Why are people playing this game instead of something like Eternal or upcoming Artifact? Honestly just grabbing at names. The intent of the question is that the online CCG market seems kinda murky at the moment and no one seems to be doing that great of a job.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ronne you're full of shit.

Was watching a pro stream the other day where he got land hosed and they literally made fun of it being an "Arena hand".

Arena literally has an a made up mulligan system that is already giving you the better of two hands in your opener when you slam quick constructed, so stop whinging about this "shuffler" bullshit.

If your hands are statistically that bad over that many games then your mana base is wrong, plain and simple.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I played MTGA a bit during closed beta, decided to go back to Gwent, at least until Homecoming debuted. Homecoming isn't sitting that well with me, and the game itself seems dead(I'm in the top 10k just doing dailies and a losing record).

From my stint in closed beta, I remember them being a bit stingier with cards. Probably somewhere between Hearthstone and Gwent. Is this still the case?

If I wanted to give this another try, what's the best format to try?

Why are people playing this game instead of something like Eternal or upcoming Artifact? Honestly just grabbing at names. The intent of the question is that the online CCG market seems kinda murky at the moment and no one seems to be doing that great of a job.

Magic is the best actual game of everything that is widely available right now. Who knows what Artifact will look like when it releases though, I haven't played any of it yet.

The Magic economy is close to the worst though currently, and so far they've made no mention of it even being on their radar to fix, so unless you'd be willing to spend at least some cash I wouldn't really recommend it.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The Magic economy is close to the worst though currently, and so far they've made no mention of it even being on their radar to fix, so unless you'd be willing to spend at least some cash I wouldn't really recommend it.

I think you just have to make sure to be really smart about how you spend your initial wildcards. Save them all for awhile, get that $5 one time deal, research a good deck, and you'll be alright, I think.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
100% of my losses are land based issues. I'm godly...the next Brian Kibler in hur.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My daily quest yesterday was play 25 red or blue cards, so I threw together a deck with mostly 1-3 mana cost flying cards and instant/sorcery control cards. It's doing surprisingly well. Wish I had more copies of the enchantment that gives all fliers +1/+1, and Windreader Sphinx that let's me draw a card every time a flier attacks.

Once had that latter card out along with a red/blue card that does 1 damage to target of choice when I draw a card. Game was done pretty quick after that. :)

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Good to know textbook Golgari Midrange and Jeskai Control have bad mana bases.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's a legit problem sometimes yea. Casting Jadelight on curve can be difficult, and cards like Isarth had to mostly get cut due to color considerations rather than power level.

Jeskai gets to cheat a bit since the white it wants is single pips or is Teferi/Settle/Nova and are all in the 4+ slot. The real question is usually how many Justice Strike/Clarion you run, but even with a full 8 of them casting either with just the 12 white duals is close enough to optimal to rarely matter.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
So, as a newer player, do they provide Ixalan draft, sealed, etc any at this point? I know during my card playing days it was extremely rare to do after a new set but just want to see my options for building dino at this point.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
So, as a newer player, do they provide Ixalan draft, sealed, etc any at this point? I know during my card playing days it was extremely rare to do after a new set but just want to see my options for building dino at this point.

The sets available to do draft/sealed rotate between the current standard sets every week (I think? Might be two weeks). So if Ixalan is currently unavailable just wait a bit and it will come up soon.

Edit: Also dinosaurs is a good investment right now. Gruul (Green/Red) will be a guild in the next set and those are the dino colors so you should get some fun new cards for your dino deck once the new set drops in January.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure where else to put this, but this seems to be the most active card game thread atm.

To some relatively good success, I've applied arbitrary goals to other games that have an undefined ending. For example, instead of playing PoE until I get bored, I stop playing when I reach a certain amount of challenges. I said relatively good success. I still play too much until I reach that goal, but afterwards, I pretty much stop. Talking with my brother, he had a similar problem with Hearthstone. Instead of addressing the issue(maybe that's not possible?), he's pretty much done with CCGs.

I was wondering if anyone else has had success with applying this to a CCG. This does sound similar to people that say "I get to rank X and then stop", but that sounds more like they don't want to deal with the assholes and grind above X than considering X their true goal.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure where else to put this, but this seems to be the most active card game thread atm.

To some relatively good success, I've applied arbitrary goals to other games that have an undefined ending. For example, instead of playing PoE until I get bored, I stop playing when I reach a certain amount of challenges. I said relatively good success. I still play too much until I reach that goal, but afterwards, I pretty much stop. Talking with my brother, he had a similar problem with Hearthstone. Instead of addressing the issue(maybe that's not possible?), he's pretty much done with CCGs.

I was wondering if anyone else has had success with applying this to a CCG. This does sound similar to people that say "I get to rank X and then stop", but that sounds more like they don't want to deal with the assholes and grind above X than considering X their true goal.

Sure. I play hearthstone until the daily is done and log off. I play this until 7 or 9 wins just depending on what I want to accomplish and log off.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That counts as an arbitrary daily goal, I guess I was hoping for something bigger with a finality. Dailies, by definition, don't really end.