MTG: Arena

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I'm having a blast playing pioneer fuck standard magic.

If wotc has any fucking sense they will double time adding pioneer sets and combine historic into it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
In the last 6 months, FotD, Oko and Catshit decks. Are these guys the least bit competent? Over 25 years of design...and this is the shit they pull out? Runeterra got another sub at release.
Cat decks are fine powerlevelwise, they just need to shorten how long the iterations take on arena because that shit is aids.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Cat decks are fine powerlevelwise, they just need to shorten how long the iterations take on arena because that shit is aids.

True, but those iterations... I enjoyed playing against FotD about 100X mores than any of these Catshit decks. I'm not convinced standard will improve. Like Mist said, Theros was terrible with the devotion shit. Runeterra can't be any worse than Hearthstone and MtG are at design right now.

Sterling

El Presidente
True, but those iterations... I enjoyed playing against FotD about 100X mores than any of these Catshit decks. I'm not convinced standard will improve. Like Mist said, Theros was terrible with the devotion shit. Runeterra can't be any worse than Hearthstone and MtG are at design right now.
Yeah Field decks at least ended the game pretty fast once the thing started happening. I feel like if they had reprinted Field of Ruin and maybe printed some other random non basic hoser like they did with blood sun it would have been fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Tgn-HBeQ-6Yh
The Liliana's Legion twitch code. I had sent it to an IRL friend, but he doesn't use Arena.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just good against your decks or is more the clunky way that it plays on arena specifically? Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take so long to go through the motions of activating the oven, activating the cat etc.

MTG Online has the same issue. Truly complex decks can't be played reliably, since the amount of actions some of them require combined with the clunky UI, simply put them at risk of timing out too often.

They need to implement shortcutting.

I don't consider having gone from a shared round match timer to an individual one a positive evolution. I'm sure lots of timmies do, but I don't think that is a good argument, its actually a terrible one.

Also, fuck standard.

Sterling

El Presidente
MTG Online has the same issue. Truly complex decks can't be played reliably, since the amount of actions some of them require combined with the clunky UI, simply put them at risk of timing out too often.

They need to implement shortcutting.

I don't consider having gone from a shared round match timer to an individual one a positive evolution. I'm sure lots of timmies do, but I don't think that is a good argument, its actually a terrible one.

Also, fuck standard.
Not sure what you mean by the shared timer, you mean each player getting 25 minutes instead of it just being 50 for both? I'm about as far from a timmie as you get and i think that's one of the actual best aspects of online play.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i think that's one of the actual best aspects of online play.

I might not consider it a horrible feature if the MTGO client worked better.

Some stuff that takes a few seconds irl takes minutes online, even if you make all the calls as fast as possible, a deck with a lot of triggers / activated abilities is going to lose 10+ seconds on each of their turns, because even if you make calls instantly, the client still takes time.

People complain that fetching takes a lot of time IRL, seems to me it takes more time online. Sensei's top is way out there. While I have np slowly grinding people to death with a slow land deck, its much harder to do online.

At that point the meta is being influenced by what the client can do and a timing rule that isn't classic, which isn't something I like at all.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Reclamation and oven decks being the prime examples. I love playing reclamation but it's such a damn hassle compared to other decks. Oven wouldn't be nearly as annoying if it didn't destroy turns for both players with all the damn activations.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Reclamation and oven decks being the prime examples. I love playing reclamation but it's such a damn hassle compared to other decks. Oven wouldn't be nearly as annoying if it didn't destroy turns for both players with all the damn activations.

Giving players the ability to loop "x last actions taken/spells cast" would solve that.

I'm not sure that is what they are interested in though. Hence the timmy reference.

Reclamation is a great example. It can't be hard for them to implement a feature which lets you tap all lands for mana, untap all, and lets you pick after that, but again, they prolly don't want to create that kind of feature.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Bought into the newest event, thinking it was just Momir... nope, it is the planeswalker version. /barf

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Standard is unplayable and it has been and will be for a while.

The last diverse standard was war of the spark and people hated that as well.

Sterling

El Presidente
Bought into the newest event, thinking it was just Momir... nope, it is the planeswalker version. /barf
I played it last time, it actually has some very interesting games, but it introduces some real weird games where draw a bunch of walkers and can't actually do stuff

Sterling

El Presidente

I actually think Standard is pretty decent right now, much better than it's been in quite awhile. There's a decent number of decks. Aggro, control, midrange, Ramp, Cat combo, tempo decks. All reasonable and lots of good interactive games.

Finished the MCQ at 6-2 for the 4th straight one. 5-1 vs cats. 1-0 vs rakdos knights, and 0-1 vs sultai ramp that cast 5 casualties of war in the 2 games he won.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

imagine wishing for tef 5 era back, how to you actually fuck standard that hard

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Just within the last six months or so. Tef 5/Nexus wasn't nearly as bad as this hot garbage in the last two sets.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Standard was good when I beat people with simic stompy pile or izzet phoenixes and bad all other times.

• 1Worf