MTG: Arena

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Installed, got my 15 wins, very exciting. It's really cool when someone plays a real deck against your deck that's within like 5 to 10 cards of the original precon. Nothing like getting attacked by a Goblin Electromancer and 2 Phoenix on turn 3 while my board is 2 Plains.

it was probably Punko Punko lets be honest

Sterling

El Presidente
Fun in mtg is a zero-sum game.
I generally agree with this and it's one of the many reasons my favorite card is Stasis. But playing an actual tier1 type deck against the new people/precons seems like a real strange use of time.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
normally the shuffler isn't too bad to me, but last night i had a game where i had 5 lands in my opening hand, and then proceeded to draw 9 more lands in my next 10 draws. then just now, i had a draft game where i didn't draw my 4th land until my 24th fucking draw of the game. and somehow still won, which is absurd, drafting 5 Legion Conquistadors in my 3CMC slot saved me i guess. getting my 4th land and being able to cast my Bishop of Binding the turn after they played their Zetalpa, Primal Hunger bomb probably pissed them right off, heh.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
But playing an actual tier1 type deck against the new people/precons seems like a real strange use of time.

Losing to more skilled players that have better cards is a core component of competitive drafting and the MTG learning experience.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Losing to more skilled players that have better cards is a core component of competitive drafting and the MTG learning experience.

so why are you working the system to avoid that experience? :)

• 1Mic Drop

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm well aware of my current position in the ecosystem, and not sure what drafting has to do with people playing real standard decks in the new player queues.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i'll trade you a craw giant for 2 birds of paradise

it has rampage

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So, I’d never played Magic at all until a guy at work told me about this a few weeks ago. What great fun!

I’m a big fan of “not playing by the rules” and doing weird / silly stuff in games, I really appreciate the flexibility in this. I’ve got up to silver 2 so far just with a nonsensical control deck of my own design.

I also built a mono blue deck my friend told me about but it’s not nearly as fun though obviously a very popular deck at the moment.

Last night for regular games I took every blue, white, and black control / removal card I had into a 200 card deck along with some creatures and won some amusing games, such as being down to 6 hp against an opponent with 85, pulling mass manipulation out of my 200 card deck one round before I’d lose, and ended making the guy concede a few rounds later.

He was probably thinking what the fuck is this retard doing with 200 cards.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
i'll trade you a craw giant for 2 birds of paradise

it has rampage

I totally traded a beta taiga for like 18 craw wurms in about 1994. I was the terror of my entire town with my mono green 20 craw wurm deck for like an entire year.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I totally traded a beta taiga for like 18 craw wurms in about 1994. I was the terror of my entire town with my mono green 20 craw wurm deck for like an entire year.
I started the game as an adult and got right into the early competitive scene so I never really got to experience this kind of thing. My very first tournament experience was going black vise into a 2nd vise + strip mine, then a sinkhole and the dude never played another land and just died to the 2 vise. Was a proud moment and the original mulligan rules made for an awful lot of non games.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I started playing Magic during Mirroden block so my little fifth Dawn precon was going against skullclamp elves, Affinity, KCI and Tooth and Nail. I never won a game.

I remember the shop keep who I knew previously teaching me how to play magic using dark rits hypnotic spectres and black lotus. I was introduced to magic at a high level immediately and never really had a "jank" phase. I have tons of fun piloting tier one decks and playing in competitive events but I play overall less magic than a casual tabletop player. I almost never play for "fun" as in random decks against each other but I'll test match ups for hours and hours if the decks are both competitive.

I don't do sealed or EDH or 2HG or brawl etc but I love to play magic.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I played Magic very amateurly when I was a kid, didn't get back into it til Arena happened. In my memory I thought I was in high school when I played the first time, playing the Rath cycle / Tempest block, but I googled the release date and apparently I was 11.

Sold my entire collection 5 years ago after not touching it since the late 90s. Sold it for $100 because I was too lazy to sort it out piece by piece. Now that I'm back into it I looked up some of the cards I remember having, and I gave that kid a crazy deal at $100. I had multiple Lotus Petals and Wastelands, along with some other major Legacy staples from Mirage - Urza's Saga.

Oh well.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I played Magic very amateurly when I was a kid, didn't get back into it til Arena happened. In my memory I thought I was in high school when I played the first time, playing the Rath cycle / Tempest block, but I googled the release date and apparently I was 11.

Sold my entire collection 5 years ago after not touching it since the late 90s. Sold it for $100 because I was too lazy to sort it out piece by piece. Now that I'm back into it I looked up some of the cards I remember having, and I gave that kid a crazy deal at $100. I had multiple Lotus Petals and Wastelands, along with some other major Legacy staples from Mirage - Urza's Saga.

Oh well.
I still remember buying a binder with a playset of revised Tropical Islands and Savannah's for like $50. Started at $20 but the guy was worried about being ripped off for his hypnotic spectres so I gave him an extra $30 and he took it.

Had like 10 duals in it alongside tons of other shit including his hypnotic spectres lol

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
so these 13 land decks are very competitive

wonder how they will solve this

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Probably with something faggoty like making the minimum land count 18.

Just another bandaid on the abortion of a format that is best of 1.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Slapped together a RDW with 13 lands over the weekend. It seemed like I got the same land draws as my 20+ land decks. Is it just an issue with the shuffler?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's not an "issue", it's by design. They essentially mana-weave your deck in best of 1 as of a few updates ago. They wanted to chop off the lower and higher end of variance and prevent people from getting buttmad about drawing 5+ lands or 5+ spells in a row, so if you run bare-minimum lands the shuffler has no choice but to give you woven draws of 2-4 spells > land > 2-4 spells over and over again due to their fucking with it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Is there really any advantage to doing 13-land tho? Seems like more of a neat trick than anything.