MTG: Arena

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If a burn deck could get away with playing 3 mountains it would if it could.

Saw someone on Reddit do the math, according to their numbers with 13 lands you're missing your 3rd land drop often enough for it to not be worth it. And Standard burn wants the third drop, at least.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Their math doesn't include the current version of the shuffler fuckery.

The fail rate on a 13 land deck outside their nebulous fuckery is massive and those decks would be completely unplayable. The fact that they function at all is simply hilarious to me. The idea that they would fudge probability so fucking hard just to make their joke of a format less of a joke is not exactly encouraging.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The fuckery that smooths out the draw also makes it more likely for said decks to hit their 4th, 5th, etc land drops, I assume. Which is what the 13 land deck was hoping to avoid?

If the shuffler is making a 13 land deck hit the same land draws as a 22 land deck or w/e then I don't see what advantage it's giving.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Their math doesn't include the current version of the shuffler fuckery.

The fail rate on a 13 land deck outside their nebulous fuckery is massive and those decks would be completely unplayable. The fact that they function at all is simply hilarious to me. The idea that they would fudge probability so fucking hard just to make their joke of a format less of a joke is not exactly encouraging.

Any Redditors done the maths on mana fuckery?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Any Redditors done the maths on mana fuckery?

They haven't actually given us the nitty gritty on what their algorithms are doing behind the scenes, so it's not really possible to get hard numbers. Their vague patch notes about it just talked about "smoothing" out draws and removing extreme outliers in draws.

The fact that a 13 land deck is even viable to play at all speaks volumes about just how much behind the scenes nonsense is happening with their shuffler and other mechanisms though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The 13 land red deck is very competitive and cheap as fuck. 7-2 vid here.

Land draws across the games:

G1: 5
G2&3: 4
G4: 2
G5: 3
G6: 2
G7: 5
G8&9: 3

Ridiculous.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

meh show me out of 100 games or 500 games

the real irony behind this is people are getting butthurt but it works because they made the algo so you don't get shuffle screwed nearly as much as in real life, the fact that it works is a good thing

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
the real irony behind this is people are getting butthurt but it works because they made the algo so you don't get shuffle screwed nearly as much as in real life, the fact that it works is a good thing

you should try hearthstone

well i guess you already are

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Land draws across the games:

G1: 5
G2&3: 4
G4: 2
G5: 3
G6: 2
G7: 5
G8&9: 3

Ridiculous.

I just played TWO GAMES IN A ROW where I lost bc I got mana flooded w 5 lands using a 13 land deck.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I just played two games in a row where I lost bc I got mana flooded w 5 lands using a 13 land deck.

I wanted to run a quick ranked event to show of the decks quality, and got stuck on one land twice after mulling and scry.

Maybe I should cut it down to 10 lands, along with your average draw that seems perfect.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I wanted to run a quick ranked event to show of the decks quality, and got stuck on one land twice after mulling and scry.

Maybe I should cut it down to 10 lands, along with your average draw that seems perfect.

I've played about 5 games thus far and the land draw is all over the place. Typically if I start with 1 land, I'll end with 2 or 5. But, if I start with 2 lands, its GG pretty quickly and everything falls into place perfectly.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Will it even let you go below 13? There was a hard enforcement minimum forever during the beta but I haven't messed with it for a while.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Will it even let you go below 13? There was a hard enforcement minimum forever during the beta but I haven't messed with it for a while.

No idea.

But, I did draw 7 lands during one of my tournament matches against @a_skeleton_02, lol. Pulled over half my lands during the first game and ultimately got mana flooded both games and he whooped my butt.

13 lands man. The maths are wild.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I can seriously say that the opponent pairing system has made this game even less fun than Hearthstone. Playing against U aggro cancer 90% of the time is similar to cutting myself and pouring salt on the wound for giggles. I used to shit on Blizzard for never learning from their mistakes but MTG keeps making cheap fucking counters, cheap hexproof spells, cheap fucking card draw, and cheap fucking OP blue flyers. Siren Stormbringer is ridiculous for it's cost but adding all the other shit to it is retarded. It was supposed to be unfun when counters stopped you from playing the game. Doing the same shit but in 5 turns instead of 30 is not a huge improvement. GJ WotC. Salty as fuck after a month of this shit.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Me and Lendarios Lendarios went 1:1 and then during our last game I pulled 4 lands, chose to mulligan, and never got another land... This game, man.