MTG: Arena

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If WOTC/Hasbro don't see the kind of returns they expect then I imagine there will be discounts or alternative ways of purchase added, but as this is the first time they are implementing of course starting high and leaving room to go down is the best business decision.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If WOTC/Hasbro don't see the kind of returns they expect then I imagine there will be discounts or alternative ways of purchase added, but as this is the first time they are implementing of course starting high and leaving room to go down is the best business decision.

The joys of a beta test with microtransactions

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am not sure what I think of the new ALT art. It is ok. It is not worth the price they are asking that I am sure about. I got the new package deal because the gems were worth it. I got the soul ring sleeve as my one sleeve of choice. I am going to save the rest of my gems for drafting the next set.

I wish they would at least allow gold to purchase the ALT art. I also wish there was a rare chance of getting an alt art when opening a pack similar to foil cards. I am sure people with money to waste will purchase some of them but I do not see it being a huge money maker with the current price system, as most players would prefer having the cards over what they look like.

I could be wrong...
I also bought the package because it was a good deal.

As I average <400 gems lost per sealed deck on set releases, that 3500 gems is like... 10 extra sealed decks for 15 dollars? So the baller Shocks are basically free.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah. I didnt double check the numbers, but reddit is saying:

1.5 gems per cent (US) for the 750 gems bundle.

2.0 gems per cent (US) for the 20000 gems bundle.

2.3 (!) gems per cent (US) for the Explorer bundle.
so the 1 time bundle is better "value" for gems, even ignoring the other stuff, then even the $100 bundle.
and for ref, the 3,400 bundle is normally $19.99.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Watched about 15 minutes of it, had to turn it off in disgust.

Format is a complete joke and hopefully this crashes and burns hard enough to quell any further attempts to mainstream this abortion.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Format is fine since MTG is a game of luck as much as skill and Bo3/sideboarding still has shit show games including with pros in finals so pretending like it's the end all, be all is silly. In lieu of sideboard you can counter with an entire deck which is good enough to help with poor match ups.

It is however boring to watch with all of the downtime, ads, sub only chat and commentators that constantly give poor/wrong information and/or are as entertaining as watching paint dry.

• 1Dislike

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Format is fine since MTG is a game of luck as much as skill and Bo3/sideboarding still has shit show games including with pros in finals so pretending like it's the end all, be all is silly. In lieu of sideboard you can counter with an entire deck which is good enough to help with poor match ups.

/baffle

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

It is however boring to watch with all of the downtime, ads, sub only chat and commentators that constantly give poor/wrong information and/or are as entertaining as watching paint dry.

If not for a perfect land draw off the top, after keeping a mildly sketchy one-lander, a two time world champion would have lost 2-0 to a random MTGA grinder. Not only that, during meaningful play, she drew exactly six spells while he drew exactly the one land he needed and then nothing but gas.

Format is terrible and the downtime just makes it worse.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
What's baffling? Getting shit on by RDW, then play your counter deck etc.

No matter what format the games are at the mercy of RNG and gaining slight percentages doesn't make for more compelling or watchable games when they ALL can have shit draws, flood/screw etc.

• 1Dislike

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If not for a perfect land draw off the top, after keeping a mildly sketchy one-lander, a two time world champion would have lost 2-0 to a random MTGA grinder. Not only that, during meaningful play, she drew exactly six spells while he drew exactly the one land he needed and then nothing but gas.

Format is terrible and the downtime just makes it worse.

Ok and shit like that happens day in and day out. Pros are pros due to sheer amount of games, knowledge and events attended and guess what? They can still lose to a random scrub player because this game isn't Chess.

LiquidDeath

Ok and shit like that happens day in and day out. Pros are pros due to sheer amount of games, knowledge and events attended and guess what? They can still lose to a random scrub player because this game isn't Chess.

You realize that the deck selections are random for the first two games, right? They only get to pick a deck if it goes to the third game. That makes the format much worse.

• 1WTF

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
You realize that the deck selections are random for the first two games, right? They only get to pick a deck if it goes to the third game. That makes the format much worse.

No I did not I thought they were doing it similar to the player of the year event, but my point still stands that no matter how they do it the element of RNG in MTG makes for shitty games on a repeated basis.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Can we ban Chimney from this thread for being awful at Magic?

• 1Worf

LiquidDeath

No I did not I thought they were doing it similar to the player of the year event, but my point still stands that no matter how they do it the element of RNG in MTG makes for shitty games on a repeated basis.

Sure, but piling RNG on top of RNG makes everything worse for skill games. It is why Hearthstone sucks.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Sure, but piling RNG on top of RNG makes everything worse for skill games. It is why Hearthstone sucks.

I agree, but MTG will always be a shitty game to watch unless they fundamentally change the way the game works. Maybe not as bad as HS, but it's still awful and pretty unwatchable if you are hoping for something equivalent to poker/chess/go etc.

Can we ban Chimney from this thread for being awful at Magic?

1v1 me bro, bo1 format.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I agree, but MTG will always be a shitty game to watch unless they fundamentally change the way the game works. Maybe not as bad as HS, but it's still awful and pretty unwatchable if you are hoping for something equivalent to poker/chess/go etc.

1v1 me bro, bo1 format.

We can just flip coins, it'll be faster.